• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 miegs3

miegs3

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'm getting frustrated so might as well try.

I've previously upgraded the custom firmware on two separate Liteon drives using Jungle Flasher and CK3 Pro, now I'm trying to flash a mates stock BenQ but am having difficulties.

Firstly it can sometimes take a few attempts to get the drive to show up (the Port it eventually shows on sometimes shows one of my HDD), once its found I try Benq UnLock, this will occasionally work but most of the time produces a warning 'Benq-Un-Lock command returned an Error' after spitting out some dots.

If the above unlock fails I try Intro / Device ID, sometimes this just reloads info saying in Vendor mode other times it mentions switching the drive on/off in a sec after the dialog. I've never been able to get this drive to Intro using the on/off method.

If I get the drive to Vendor mode the properties read correctly, I then try the "Read", this has only worked once, other times the Jungle Flasher program hangs to the point where I can either shut it down or it will kill my whole PC with a BSOD.

The time I got it to read I hadn't loading the updated firmware for this drive, now I'm worried about this instability that if I get to the point of writing and it crashes during the process I would have bricked my mates drive.

As far as I can tell everything seems right, portIO is running (signed driver method) (although for my drive I had used the Test mode method).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JungleFlasher 0.1.84 Beta (250)
Session Started Wed Jun 15 22:30:10 2011

This is a Wow 64 process running on 8 x 64 bit CPUs
portio64.sys Driver Installed
portio64.sys Driver Started, thanks Schtrom !
Found 6 I/O Ports.
Found 2 Com Ports.
Found 10 windows drives A: C: D: E: G: S: U: X: Y: Z:
Found 2 CD/DVD drives E: G:

Drive is Benq..
Drive is Benq..

Sending Magic Keys to Drive on port 0x8D00

I also wondered about the SATA port / cable since I had a failing drive on the slot previously but I've tried another with even less luck.

Motherboard is Gigabyte EX58-UD4P running Windows 7 64bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

Try using a VIA SATA port with the drives uninstalled.

Pretty sure that will fix your problem.

#3 miegs3

miegs3

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Thanks, so grab something like this and plug SATA into that instead?

VIA VT6421A 3 SATA 1 Port IDE PCI RAID Controller Card

I had thought about this but figured it must be something else since liteon worked.

#4 miegs3

miegs3

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

I've just got my Via card but found I don't have the room to put in PCI slot (covered by Graphics card), has anyone had experience with a PCI-e to PCI converter?

Something like this:
PCI-e to PCI Adapter

I don't really want to buy it if it's just going to cause me more issues, it would be useful if someone has tried one of these.

Thanks for any help, otherwise I may need a new motherboard.

#5 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

You could just unplug a pci device to make room. Plug in your via sata card
And flash away. After, plug in the original pci device. A little bit of a hassle but it
Should work fine.

#6 miegs3

miegs3

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

Yeah, I can do without sound card while I flash and I'm happy to do it this time (PC Case instead in the best of places to keep changing though), but just wondering in the future if I buy something like that whether I would still be able to use it for flashing if it's plugged in via the adapter. Saving me the hassle of opening the case.

#7 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:09 AM

I guess you can try and find out. Could work but might not. I wouldn't bother because you will only be flashing a couple times a year at the most.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users