l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:38 PM

I just got done reading about the history of id Software. Quake III was a big part of it. I hadn't touched the Xbox homebrew version in a VERY long time, but I was inspired to boot it up and found that it actually runs pretty well after playing around with the settings. It's easy to see that the only things lacking are the Xbox graphics chip support and the Xbox's lack of RAM.

Does anyone ever plan on making a mod of this game that doesn't require quite as much memory? The official Dreamcast version of this game is a port, but it's so close to the original version of the game that it's practically just a mod. Heck, you can use the maps from the DC version on the Xbox.

From what I've found, the Xbox can handle this basically the same as the Dreamcast could. 4 players at a time (really pushing it with 5), graphic details at a medium setting, resolution rather low. I think we could probably improve overall performance by modifying levels specifically for the Xbox.

Basically what I'm saying is we should work on an official Xbox version of Quake III Arena. Not just run the PC maps, but give it all its own. It's a relatively simple project. I would call the Xbox port complete as far as the coding goes with the exception of the lack of video card support. All that needs to be done is level design.

Also, has anyone tested this game on a 128 mb Xbox? And if so, could you compare it to a 64 mb xbox so we can see how much doubling the RAM improves performance? It's a great game, and it's possibly the most impressive Xbox port when it comes to graphics...although AVP is pretty damn good, too.

#2 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:27 AM

When you talk about video card support you should realize that the Quake 3 port uses OpenGL with a project called gldirect which provides OpenGL api through mesa and the result is drawn using DirectX. So it is utilizing the video card to some extent. Unfortunately the author never released his port of gldirect to the Xbox so nobody can compile the Quake 3 code or potentially use it to port other OpenGL games.

#3 GTTeancum

GTTeancum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Yep Hyper_Eye pretty much hit the nail on the head. When this was ported the author had a OGL->DirectX API that wasn't publicly released. That might have been part of the reason the game is so cpu/memory hungry too. What we need is a proper DirectX port. There's actually a DirectX, open source version of the game, but it was written before the actual source code was released. AI doesn't work and some shaders are broken. Unfortunately comparing the two source codes they're really different and incompatible.

#4 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:26 AM

The gldirect layer isn't bad. It does a decent job. It is also freely available. I took a look at the code and essentially what needs to be done is that the dx9 engine needs to be back ported to dx8 and the gldirect component relies heavily on DirectDraw which does not exist on Xbox. The DirectDraw code needs to be replaced with DirectX. With that work done we should be pretty close to an opengl library for Xbox. That would open up a lot of porting possibilities.

#5 Joshff

Joshff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:37 AM

There is an OpenGL wrapper for DX 8.1 available here

More info on this forum

#6 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

That layer is limited to a very early version of OpenGL API (1.2). Mesa3D is always being developed and provides OpenGL 2.1 with shaders. GLDirect is a backend to Mesa3D. There are two distinct versions to be found. One is a GLDirect sourceforge project that exists strictly to develop GLDirect. The other is in the Mesa3D source in the drivers folder. One of these would have likely been the base that the porter of Quake3 started with. Looking through system info in the Quake3 client will confirm that it is using GLDirect and I think it shows what version it is.

Here is the Mesa3D site: http://www.mesa3d.org/
Here is GLDirect in the Mesa3D repository. You would need all of the code, not just the GLDirect part, to build it of couse: http://cgit.freedesk...indows/gldirect
Here is the GLDirect sourceforge project: http://sourceforge.n...jects/gldirect/

#7 weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

Those wrappers can be pretty nice, but can be limited to what that engine uses. You'll always have more possibilities if you don't have to deviate as far from the original source. However it is certainly a good option for Quake3.

The Mesa3D lib would be as good for the Xbox as libSDLx. Hopefully the dx8 backport is an easy few renames and moving some arguments around. Zsnexbox needed DirectDraw replaced with DirectX, that could be used to help with gldirect.

What about GLSL shaders?

Edit: erm forget the question. Thanks Hyper_Eye.

Edited by weinerschnitzel, 20 June 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#8 netokl

netokl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:07 AM

hum....just a question...in case of someone release this GLdirect for xbox,it would be possible to use a openGl GPU plugin in pcsxbox(there's already a open source peopsopenGL plugin)???.....if is possible, it will work like a hardware accelerated plugin??

#9 weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

Yes. There will still be the layer that will take a CPU hit, but it could come in handy where accuracy is needed over speed in the case where the OpenGL render is better than the DirectX render. I had my eyes on Glide64, myself. Yabause and FreeDO would also be possibilities, but a proper DirectX render would really be the best.

#10 edwardrich01

edwardrich01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Haii I'm Edwardrich And I Light Up My Candles On Feb The Seventeenth. Im A Very Energetic.
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

just downloaded XBOX LIES Template files ...

#11 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(edwardrich01 @ Sep 20 2011, 07:00 AM) View Post

just downloaded XBOX LIES Template files ...

Er, right. And???

#12 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(Clockface @ Sep 20 2011, 01:28 PM) View Post

Er, right. And???

He's just a sig spammer. I already reported his posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users