Photo

Use Cga/yuv Scaler To Vga For Use In New Astro City ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ondafly

ondafly

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to put my XBOX into my New Astro City Cabinet. The New Astro supports VGA input on a tri-sync monitor (i.e. CGA/EGA/VGA). I have the HD cables for my original xbox, and I'm looking to put them through this CGA SCALER via the GREEN BLUE RED inputs

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4aac1ee46d

This then can output at 480p (VGA) on my New Astro City monitor. My question is, will this work with the xbox ? I remember something about the xbox not sync'ing on green ? but surely if I'm using the component connections it should be ok ?

PS heres a quick video of the New Astro city - should help explain things a bit more.

Thanks !

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

It's not the Xbox that has problems with sync on green, it's some monitors that require separate sync signals because they don't understand sync on green. The Xbox outputs sync on green quite happily.

So, the questions you need to answer for yourself are:
- does my monitor support sync on green
- does the adapter I intend to use separate out the sync signals and present them on the VGA connector, pins 13 and 14

If the answer to either of those questions is yes then your system should work.

#3 ondafly

ondafly

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

thanks Heimdall - I best go researching the monitor and monitor chasis so !

#4 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Ok. Maybe I am missing something here, but why worry about Sync on Green? The adapter you've linked on ebay appears to take a YPbPr signal (which the Xbox can output) and convert it to standard VGA.

So, you should be able to simply connect your xbox to that convertor using component cables and the resulting output signal should be compatible with your Astro City monitor, Or any VGA monitor, for that matter.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 21 June 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

You would hope so. However, VGA with sync on green is still standard VGA, and perfectly allowable under the specifications, so it may be that the adapter only supports SoG output, and hence it's worth checking. smile.gif

#6 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

Oh ok, IC.

That adapter looks pretty cool. I would be interested in one of these myself, if it supported 720p output res. Maybe it can be finagled to display it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users