• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 6o66y

6o66y

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:34 AM

Hello all. I am throwing in a few green LED strips into my original xbox and was wondering. These LED strips came with a red/black wire. I know to solder them to a molex splitter. LED red wire to molex yellow and then black to black. I was wondering is it safe to run 2 led strips off off one molex..so 2 LED red wires to 1 yellow molex..or would I need to dailsy chain Y adaptors, one for each led strip. Thanks a million in advance.

#2 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:29 AM

how would daisy chaining be any diferent to using 1 connection? the load would always be the same on the inital molex your are connecting to..

The only diferent way i could see of you connecting things in a cuircuit would be to have 1 led chain pick up the live from the molex. then have the live of the second chain connect to the ground of the 1st chain and finaly grounding the second chain to the molex where the live comes from, but i dont think id do that either.

Edited by shambles1980, 22 June 2011 - 04:32 AM.

#3 6o66y

6o66y

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Jun 21 2011, 07:29 PM) View Post

how would daisy chaining be any diferent to using 1 connection? the load would always be the same on the inital molex your are connecting to..

The only diferent way i could see of you connecting things in a cuircuit would be to have 1 led chain pick up the live from the molex. then have the live of the second chain connect to the ground of the 1st chain and finaly grounding the second chain to the molex where the live comes from, but i dont think id do that either.

LOL..I guess it wouldn't make a difference. Thanks for making me feel stupid smile.gif Seriously, Thanks a million for the fast reply.

#4 gothicguy9494

gothicguy9494

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:14 AM

wire them to the controller port it would be safer then

#5 6o66y

6o66y

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE(gothicguy9494 @ Jun 21 2011, 08:14 PM) View Post

wire them to the controller port it would be safer then

Once soldered to the molex I was just going to use the Y adaptor between the hhd..is this not safe. I thought it was common.

#6 gothicguy9494

gothicguy9494

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

theres a slight chance that youll fry ur psu that way on the other hand i have a 80mm fan attached to it so it shouldnt be any different

#7 Mungoo

Mungoo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

im wanting to mod a wireless 360 controller into an LED lighted controller, but idk if it will work. instructions say that i need to do this with an wired Connector / Power Wire LED Controllers LED Power Supplies controller, but i find that it would be cooler with a wireless. so my question is, is it possible to do it to a wireless? and if so, would there be any other outcomes (ex. shorter battery life, etc)?

Edited by Mungoo, 21 March 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#8 jaygriggs

jaygriggs

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:ummm xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(6o66y @ Jun 22 2011, 03:18 AM) View Post

Once soldered to the molex I was just going to use the Y adaptor between the hhd..is this not safe. I thought it was common.

I did a ton of them this way without an issue. HOWEVER the others do have a point. In my main xbox you could say I'm overdoing it
4 led controller ports
6 small leds where the dvd sits (glass window on the top)
led fan on the back
1.5TB WD Drive
1 led bar the width of the xbox that goes to the music.
now only the led bar and music controller run off the molex but the rest of the system is obviously just stressed.

The original PSU lasted a year without issue.
Then it slowly started dieing you could tell because the leds got dimmer and dimmer.
When they were so dim you could barely tell they were on and I ordered an aftermarket (beefed up) xbox psu
The soldering job looked like it was done by a bunch of 6 year olds. Once I cleaned that up it worked a charm. Its been running probably 3 years maybe more without an issue.

I did quite a few xboxes with 2 led bars and nothing else and they ran for years still running last I knew. So my best guess is just dont over do it and you'll be fine. Hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users