X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

Hi all

OK noob question time

I see lots of stuff about the miracles of having a 2.6.x Kernal and various confusing instructions on how to achieve this wonderous transformation.

So the question is can't one of you linux master's get something like xebian and rebuild it with the mythical 2.6.x kernal and update it to etch then put it back to cd for us out here who have problems counting to ten(no offence intended) let alone remastering a linux distro.

Cheers

#2 NobodyHere

NobodyHere

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

The problem with the 2.6 kernel is that it doesn't support the fatx file system.

The only way to install Linux with the 2.6.n kernel is to install it natively in a Linux ext file system.

This means a native install that will wipe your hard-drive, remove your ability to play Xbox games, and generally require being Linux savvy.

#3 sender604

sender604

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Hi NobodyHere

I understand that you loose fatx but with second hand xbox being less then 20 pounds now wouldnt it be worth it to have a dedicated none fatx machine(small footprint low noise and really cheap).

I currently have 5 machines i got for 50 pounds dvd drives knackered in some but so what use an old pc one instead but thats not the point it was can someone do it.

For us noobs or even point me in the right direction for xebian step by step upgrade instructions that are complete and work(tried a couple from here and failed) and a good remastering tut and even in my ignorance of linux and the xbox i will try for myself(probably with lots of pleas for help and stupid questions and ultimate failier).

I thought in my ignorance again that an exsisting distro such as xebian that other people have made 2.6.x.x kernals would be easier to upgrade than making a whole new distro from scratch again i know its not going to make it the latest and greatest version of ........
but it would give us all a few more options for connecting different hardware etc.....

sorry about the ramble just ideas

#4 sender604

sender604

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hi all again

just thought i would ask if there is other people out there who would like a native 2.6 linux with no fatx support if so add a comment and maybe one of the friendly linux gods will look into the idea with Xebian or one of the other distro it dont have to be the latest and greatest 2.6 any that works would be better than non surley

on with the begging please please please(keep adding relevent grovelling until feeling queezy) some one help us

wink.gif

cheers again as i say only ideas and maybe a kickstart for something wonderful (or at least a bit better)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users