• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yeshuachrist

yeshuachrist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:14 AM

I wonder if anyone tried to compare the native pcsxbox setup to the different setup for pcsxbox in the coinops packages, and the newest coinops: coinops2.

I noticed the choices for n64 and psx game in the coinops packages are pretty poor choices.

Anyway, this is the setup for coinops psx games at least in the newest version coinops2

PLAYSTATION
roms/PSX_Gamename.zip (POINTER)
roms/PSX_Gamename.bin
roms/PSX_Gamename.cue

The .zip file is probaby just a regular blank notepad file with its file extension changed to .zip, you can simply rename any of those .zip files with a 0 byte files size to the game of the same name. With the title "PSX_" added in front of the game name.

The question is since coinops2 uses a different initialization to call the psx core, does this ultimately result in increased performance

Later this week i'll try to compare the latest version of coinops2 which uses pcsxbox to the latest version of pcsxbox. On another note, if there is no real performance difference than maybe it would be a good idea for coinops to dump pcsxbox, since the file sizes are traditionally larger for the platform.

#2 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

Well there are several games in the coinops "supported" list that are either not working or are known to have some pretty bad issues. I even remember seeing a couple duplicates. Plus there is the disadvantage of not being able to set some configuration parms that need setting. So it'll be interesting to so what your results are.

In terms of performance gains.. the only advantages to launching an emu from another program is in regards to memory. You dont have to worry about memory leaks (reset with each game) or memory loss from a skin being loaded (non is loaded).

I would suggest using the last x-port version of pcsxbox anyways. Besides a few lock-up issues with threaded audio when exiting a game and a couple other odds and ends fixes. I did not tinker around with the core that much.

Edited by madmab, 27 June 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#3 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

CoinOPS is garbage for everything but arcade games, and even then it's only useful for games that don't play on Final Burn Legends.

#4 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

I dont agree about coinops2 being garbage.
but i do agree its only really any good for arcade games. Its easy to use anbd the games work and play well even on 64MB xboxes. When it comes to configuring light guns for it you have to use mameox plus though and configure the light gun on that then move the file from one folder to the other using file explorer.
if you dont have 128mb ram on your xbox i would recomend coinops 2.
otherwize mameox 128 plus is fine. (although i would probably still favour coinops 2.

As for other emu's
ii have given up with on playstation games on xbox, the emu was never properly finished IMO and the game support is lacking.
Surreal 64 is what i use for n64 game.
Zsnes for snes games.
for the sega games i use
smsplus9x
and
neogenesis
and of course
ScummVMX for my classic point and click adventures.

#5 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Jun 27 2011, 08:01 AM) View Post

I would suggest using the last x-port version of pcsxbox anyways. Besides a few lock-up issues with threaded audio when exiting a game and a couple other odds and ends fixes. I did not tinker around with the core that much.

blink.gif smile.gif

#6 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Jun 27 2011, 09:01 AM) View Post

I would suggest using the last x-port version of pcsxbox anyways.

Hell to the yea! It's awesome.
I only really liked MOH and MOHU anyway. and both of these games run great. I wish it could run MK Trilogy a little better tho. Even with 128mb ram, it is still an unfavorable result. No biggie tho. I have my MOH games.

#7 yeshuachrist

yeshuachrist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Jun 27 2011, 09:01 AM) View Post

Well there are several games in the coinops "supported" list that are either not working or are known to have some pretty bad issues. I even remember seeing a couple duplicates. Plus there is the disadvantage of not being able to set some configuration parms that need setting. So it'll be interesting to so what your results are.

In terms of performance gains.. the only advantages to launching an emu from another program is in regards to memory. You dont have to worry about memory leaks (reset with each game) or memory loss from a skin being loaded (non is loaded).

A few games work fine without configuration, most of the ones that need additional configuration don't play that well with a few exceptions. Tomorrow I'll give it a try and report back. I also noticed the playstation emulator for wii is based on the pcsx code base too just like pcsxbox, but if you reference the compatibility list, it has a higher compatibility and some of the games that give problems on the xbox, don't have it on the wii.

I'm pretty sure the pcsxbox emulator on xbox can reach the wii's compatibility, since wii specs are almost identical to the xbox specs. After I get done with this comparison, I have a 4.2u softmodded wii thats been collecting dust with an external harddrive for games, I can test with the wiisx emulator for playstation 1, and maybe start a results comparison for a few games from the xbox port of pcsxbox verses the wii port of pcsxbox.

About Coinops

Your right, it can't replace the pcsxbox package that you made, because there really isn't a way to configure the games on a per game basis for games that need it. Besides that, coinops is good, but lacks configuration because of its package, you see often some of the libraries being cut. Like coinops versus "Kawa-X" as a cp1 and cp2 emulator, or coinops versus "xRAINE" as an arcade emulator.

I probaby share the opinions of some of the people who posted in this thread, only a few emulator are worth visiting on the xbox, as separate installations, not jumbled together as a mess of incomplete libraries.

zsnes
gens
kawa-x
xraine
nes emulator (forget what its called)
pcsxbox is really debateable on the xbox when the wii has its version of pcsxbox

Going back to topic

I much rather use a console for emulator than a pc, where possible, and its not possible with a few systems like nds, but you do have no$gba on the computer.

Coinops on the other hand as a substitute for the pcsxbox package for the pcsx emulator

Would be perfect pending a prooven performance increase because you can delete every rom in the coinops2 package and just pop a couple psx game in there that work without configuration, but I'd imagine the pcsx core it uses also looks for a configuration scripe if so we can replace pcsxbox with coinops2, that something i'll try and report back, hopefully tomorrow when i get started checking these things out I'll get finished in a few hours before the end of the day and report back here.

You didn't tinker around with the core but you did fixes to pcsxbox like "epsxe_shark" did for epsxe

A few people try to implement patches from the newest builds of pcsx-r to epsxe EPSXE SHARK LINK just like what your doing with pcsxbox by using it as an overlay for the cores. What epsxe_shark has done for epsxe, and what no$zoomer has done for no$gba, your doing for pcsxbox. So its great to see improvements.

The few playstation1 games the pcsxbox emulator does play at 100%, work just as good or better than the wiisx emulator because of the options in pcsxbox, but still i have both wii and xbox, and I will continue to keep xbox1 out for emulators as opposed to the wii. There is certainly a lot of development still taking place either way.

If there are any more updates to wiisx then i'd likely have the xbox1 out for emulation and a few psx games and the wii for the rest of the psx games cool.gif, choose both platforms if you can, rather than choose between one or the other!!!!

Edited by yeshuachrist, 27 June 2011 - 11:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users