12 replies to this topic

#1 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

I think I've hit a bit of a brick wall while trying to mod my old Xbox (version 1.0). Yesterday, I tried to softmod my Xbox using the AR method with Splinter Cell. At first, I was able to get to the SID 5 menu and was able to make an MS backup with no problem. Then, I downloaded XBMC, and it went smoothly except that an error occurred where something went wrong with the E drive. I thought it was no big deal, so I went ahead and turned off my system. When I turned it on, however, I wasn't able to get my Xbox to show anything; the screen was just black with the orange light.

At this point, I got to the SID thing again, and I deleted my MS backup and the softmod. This, however, gave me a error 21 for some reason when I tried to run the Xbox without any game in the tray. I went to the SID installer again and tried to make another MS backup, but I got a message saying I needed to remove the modded files from the hard drive. I decided to remove the SID installer only; I still have the Splinter Cell exploit, since I thought that would ultimately lead to the SID installer coming up again automatically. This, ultimately, led to an error 13.

What I've notice now, however, is that I can still load Splinter Cell and other games I have without the exploit files. Every time I'm able to get past loading the exploit file, I end up with an error 21, since I don't have both of the exploit files on my console (I found this out later). However, every time I start the console without a disc, I get the error 13 message.

I found out the Slayer 2.6 disc could help get the standard dashboard up, so I can put the SID installer back on my hard drive. However, I'm not quite sure what to do afterwards. If any of you could help, it would be much appreciated.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

From your description this sounds like a classic SID problem. You selected an option that didn't install shadow C, and now you've overwritten the real dash on the C partition, or some other vital files.

First things first - DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR XBOX FROM THE MAINS! If you leave it unplugged for more than a couple of hours you will get error 16 and have to hotswap.

If Slayers will boot (I doubt it, but worth a try) then put it in a drawer, and never take it out again, because Slayers won't help at all with a softmod. Instead, grab HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc), burn it to DVD-R at 4x or slower, and use it to update the softmod to Krayzie 1.1.1, then skip to the penultimate paragraph of this post.

If Slayers won't boot put it in a drawer, and instead use a post 2004 live-enabled game (Halo 2 or later) to restore the original dash. (Start to log in to live, the first thing the game will do is update the dash and in the process restore it back to stock. You don't need a network connection.) Then get hold of the Krayzie 1.1.1 gamesave and use AR to put the two save files onto your Xbox. Krayzie always installs shadow C, so your softmod should be protected once you get it installed. Mod the Xbox (select basic install - UnleashX dashboard). Take a copy of your eeprom from the Xbox and put it safely on your PC. Then take HeXEn and use it to update the softmod (all it actually does in your case is update the dash version and the dash config file).

If you want to have XBMC as your dash then you would use HeXen option 2.1.2 or 2.1.3 to install Kingroach NDURE 3.1, or options 2.2.2 to 2.2.7 to install Krayzie 1.1.1. Then select option 4.1. Install XBMC to E. Manually overwrite the XBMC installation at E:\Apps\XBMC with the latest version (delete the current version first, then replace with the latest version). Reboot and make sure that XBMC works when you run it as an application from the dashboard.

Once XBMC works as an application you can use the dashboard switching tool (either run from the default UnleashX dash or from HeXEn - Option 5.1.2.3. or 5.1.3.3 Switch to XBMC on E) to change the default dash to XBMC.

Edited by Heimdall, 12 July 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#3 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jul 12 2011, 04:26 PM) View Post

From your description this sounds like a classic SID problem. You selected an option that didn't install shadow C, and now you've overwritten the real dash on the C partition, or some other vital files.

First things first - DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR XBOX FROM THE MAINS! If you leave it unplugged for more than a couple of hours you will get error 16 and have to hotswap.

If Slayers will boot (I doubt it, but worth a try) then put it in a drawer, and never take it out again, because Slayers won't help at all with a softmod. Instead, grab HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc), burn it to DVD-R at 4x or slower, and use it to update the softmod to Krayzie 1.1.1, then skip to the penultimate paragraph of this post.

If Slayers won't boot put it in a drawer, and instead use a post 2004 live-enabled game (Halo 2 or later) to restore the original dash. (Start to log in to live, the first thing the game will do is update the dash and in the process restore it back to stock. You don't need a network connection.) Then get hold of the Krayzie 1.1.1 gamesave and use AR to put the two save files onto your Xbox. Krayzie always installs shadow C, so your softmod should be protected once you get it installed. Mod the Xbox (select basic install - UnleashX dashboard). Take a copy of your eeprom from the Xbox and put it safely on your PC. Then take HeXEn and use it to update the softmod (all it actually does in your case is update the dash version and the dash config file).

If you want to have XBMC as your dash then you would use HeXen option 2.1.2 or 2.1.3 to install Kingroach NDURE 3.1, or options 2.2.2 to 2.2.7 to install Krayzie 1.1.1. Then select option 4.1. Install XBMC to E. Manually overwrite the XBMC installation at E:\Apps\XBMC with the latest version (delete the current version first, then replace with the latest version). Reboot and make sure that XBMC works when you run it as an application from the dashboard.

Once XBMC works as an application you can use the dashboard switching tool (either run from the default UnleashX dash or from HeXEn - Option 5.1.2.3. or 5.1.3.3 Switch to XBMC on E) to change the default dash to XBMC.

The truth of the matter is that I never had an Xbox Live account for my original Xbox, so creating a new one is impossible for me. Also, I'm not sure if I merely have to burn the iso image onto a DVD-R for either slayer or HeXen to work. I don't want to waste any discs doing this.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:07 AM

You don't need to quote the immediately preceding post.

You don't need a live account, and I didn't say that you did.

You burn the iso image. If you don't already have Slayers then, as I said, don't bother with it - it's for flashed / chipped Xboxes only. Just burn HeXEn, because either way you'll need it.

Edited by Heimdall, 13 July 2011 - 02:17 AM.

#5 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:18 AM

I couldn't get the burned disc to work. It still brought up the error 13 when I tried to run it. I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact that I burned the disc on 8x speed (I couldn't change the speed to anything else), but if it does, could you recommend a better burner for me? I'm using something called "Free Easy CD DVD Burner", and it seems to get the job done for normal DVDs.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

All covered in my original post. Your Xbox won't boot a rescue disc, hence it isn't modded, so use Halo 2 or later to restore the dash, remod using Krayzie, etc.

FYI, DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 always works, burn at 4x or slower, and always use DVD-R for Xboxes.

Edited by Heimdall, 13 July 2011 - 11:21 AM.

#7 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

Why would I need a decryptor? I already torrented the HeXen ISO and burned it to a disc. That's what I was taking to you about. I also don't know how using games like Halo 2 would update my dashboard.

Edited by Rxanadu, 13 July 2011 - 02:43 PM.

#8 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

xbox live games like halo 2 and ones that came after it had an updated dashboard. if you run these game and try to login to xbox live they will update your xbox to the newer dash, (you dont need to login, or be connected to the internet or anything, all the files are on the 2004 halo 2 and later live enabled games)
this is usefull for us so we can all have the updated dash which makes softmoding easier.

in your case where you have an error13. It can update your dash replacing the corrupted/missing dash files which are causing you the error. This will take you back to a unmoded dash where you can start again..
If you are getting a error 13. then your softmod dash board files arent loading and so you are not soft moded and cannot boot any rescue disks so starting again is a good idea..

You would do well to just blindly follow his instructions. although i do like to see reasoning for actions my self. (but having read heimdall's post he has given you the reasons to why you would things)

as for dvd decryptor.. You asked him to sugest a program to burn dvd's at slower speeds (so he did)
My personal choice is magiciso.

Edited by shambles1980, 13 July 2011 - 05:23 PM.

#9 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:04 PM

Turns out I've been using DVD+R discs, not DVD-R. I just tried the disc with the ISO burned on it, and it still gave me the error 13 message. Does it have to be DVD-R, or am I still doing something wrong? I still don't know how to work the Halo 2 thing, either. Do I just try to play a map or something? I literally never used Xbox Live on the original Xbox.

Edited by Rxanadu, 13 July 2011 - 07:00 PM.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

It does need to be DVD-R, bu it's still giving you error 13 because your Xbox isn't softmodded so it won't boot a homebrew rescue disc.

I explained in my first post how to use Halo 2 to restore / update the original dash.

#11 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

Here's what happens when I try to sign up to Xbox Live:
  1. The game boots up (in this case, either Halo 2 or Conker)
  2. I choose to sign in to Xbox Live
  3. A prompt to set up a new Xbox Live accout pops up
  4. A pop-up comes up to return to Xbox dashboard
  5. The game boots up again, and nothing happens

I also had 4590 dashboard before I used the SID, so that may be something with it. I'm really considering just getting another Xbox to try again. I only have this laptop I'm typing on, so hotswap is out of the question.

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

The old dash was almost certainly the cause of your problem, or at least a major contributory factor. Which version of SID did you use? I can't check at the moment, but I was sure that recent SID installers checked the dash version before they started.

If a game won't update your dash then you are out of luck. You could try an older game first and do the update in two hits. I doubt very much that it would work, but at this stage if you can't hotswap then you have nothing to lose.

If you go for a replacement Xbox, use Halo 2 to update the dash first, then Use Krayzie 1.1.1 gamesave installer and HeXEn to get your system set up properly.

#13 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

I was using SID version 5.10 or something. It included all three major dashboards for the softmod (Evo, Unleash, and XBMC).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users