10 replies to this topic

#1 phliksta

phliksta

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

Heya!

I used my Xbox as a DVD player for years and only recently thought about modding it. Since I can't really find any retailers for modchips, I read a bit about softmodding. I got myself a copy of Splinter Cell (couldn't find my old one) and an USB-adapter for the controller's memorycard slot.

As far as I understood, I have to accomplish the following:

- format USB thumbdrive with Xbox
- copy hacked savegame from PC to thumbdrive
- load hacked savegame in Splinter Cell

Now, is there a way to use this method to permanently install Evox etc. on my Xbox without me having to hotswap?

I read so many guides the last few days but unfortunately, I didn't bookmark the ones I need. Now I don't know where to read further and I can't find that explaination on how to get stuff from the usual place.

My box is most a 1.1 model, K: 4817, D: 5960.

Cheers for helping a newb out.

#2 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

the basic method is..

Run halo 2 or later live enabled game and tell it to connect to xbox live (you dont need to be online or connected to a network or anything)
you do this to update your dash.
then you find a way to transfer the game saves to your xbox (there are pal and ntsc game saves)
You can do this with USB adapters, controller / cable mod, or action replay excetera. not all usb drives will work, so i use sd cards and sd card readers, the general rule according to the community is that the older the usb drive the better.
Alternetavly ytou can hotswap the files on to your xbox..

to format the usb drive you only really need to connect it to your uusb adapter then go to the MS dash's memory manager. it should detect and format the drive,
You then use xplorer360 on your pc to transfer the files to the usb
Then you take teh usb back to the xbox and transfer the saves over
(remember you have to press right to highlight the actual save, what you initaly highlight is technically just a folder)
once the save files are on there you just use splinter cell to load the exploited saves. (a note about this, Its customary to only have the exploitable saves on your xbox, and not any other splinter cell saves "please dont defy convention")

once you have installed the soft mod via splinter cell its on there and its not coming off unless you remove it...

One final step i would recomend is to download hexen utility disk and burn it to dvd at 4x speed or slower (i usualy forget to mention the speed)
Then boot your xbox with that disk installed, it will update your softmod for you and its a good disk.

finaly set up your network so you can FTP the eeprom.bin file to your pc. This file will eventually be needed so dont skip that part.

and thats the basics of it all..

If you need a step by step tutorial there are plenty of them here smile.gif

P.S
The usual places are xbins excetera,
but google can find you files like..

Krayzie Splinter Cell Ndure Installer
(do you need the pal or ntsc)
heimdalls HeXEn xbox engineering disc

xplorer360

Edited by shambles1980, 13 July 2011 - 05:59 PM.

#3 phliksta

phliksta

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

Alright, thanks so far but I have problems updating the dashboard.

I'm using FIFA 06 and I'm not sure this will work. When I try to play online, it asks me to create a Live account but I can't connect to Live since it's been shut down since '10. The connection is fine, it just tells me Xbox Live can not be reached at the moment.

Is there any other way to update the dash without me having to buy another game?

Copying saves to my USB stick works fine though Splinter Cell won't recognize my save since it says "Unknown Title" in when I look at the savegame in the memory tab. I guess that's why I need that dashboard update, huh?

Edited by phliksta, 14 July 2011 - 01:50 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

With Splinter Cell there are two gamesaves, and you need them both. Make sure you use Krayzie 1.1.1

If your dash is already version 5960 then you don't need to update it. If it isn't version 5960 and the game update doesn't work then you can update the dash using FTP during the installation of the softmod. Load the gamesave, and the mod installation screen will load. Use FTP to connect to the Xbox, and delete the existing dash (all the contents of the C partition) and replace with MS dash 5960. Once that is done you can continue with the softmod (Basic Install - UnleashX dashboard), then use HeXEn to update the softmod and add some dash switching tools etc.

#5 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

I had the issues with saves too they were in folders i think i had to take them out of the folder to place on the usb stick.
so id try that.

I dont remember if i had to leave them in the numberd folder or if i just had to have the saves out of folders.

I have to go out now though the wife insists we go out again so i cant check how it needs to be for a memory stick, But there arent that many diferent combinations so you can easily try the diferent ways.

And again remember to copy saves you highlight the thingy, then you have to move to the right to seletct the actual save..
the thing it automatically selects is simply the title of the game the saves are to the right of the title. (a little counter intuitive and can catch you out)

and as heimdall says your dash is already at the latest version. (i should have mentioned that) I justt posted the basics so others reading with same issue wouldnt blindly go ahead and do things without being on the correct dash.

#6 phliksta

phliksta

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

Got a little further now. Thanks to you guys for helping me out.

Anyway, I kinda figured out what's been wrong with my savegame. I only had to copy the numbered subfolder, not the UDATA folder it was inside. Been using Xplorer 360 because ActionReplay gave me issues on Windows 7.

When I look at the saves now in the dashboard, the have the proper names (Splinter Cell and Linux Installer) and the Debian logo but I still can't load them in the game. Is it possible that my version is one of the infamous patched ones where the exploit won't work?

Edit: Nevermind, got it working now, currently installing EvoX. I'll report back if I encounter any problems.

Edited by phliksta, 14 July 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#7 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

If you came back to report progress and your soft mod is installed but you havent copied the eeprom.bin from your xbox to your pc using flashfxp or similar ftp prgram, please ftp the file to your pc now biggrin.gif.
the eeprom.bin will let you replace your hard disk if it ever breaks or will let you upgrade to a larger hard disk.
The ammount of problems not having it saved can cause if you ever find you need it is crazy smile.gif

And glad you have it working smile.gif

#8 phliksta

phliksta

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:46 PM

Naw, don't worry, copying the HDD and EEPROM backups to my computer was the first thing I did once I established an FTP connection.

I'm using UnleashX and XBMC for media, shit's mighty fine so far! Never thought I could pull off this kinda joint and spend less than 10! laugh.gif

Thanks again to you guys for helping me.

I'm thinking about getting a Blutooth keyboard with the fitting USB dongle as a remote control, can I use this with my Xbox?

Cheer.

#9 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

dont know never tried..
Would imagine it needs drivers though so could be problematic.
I can use my 2.4Ghz logitec preformance lazer mouse with my controller mod though.
But i cant get my wirless keyboard to work with it (cant say i really tried though)
theres always linux for xbox,

My fave thing to do with xbox is streaming..
I have Icefilms and seeon.tv plugins on my XBMC
Seeon.tv can easily be installed via the SVN repo installer that comes with the latesr XBMC And icefilms is getting to where its updatable thanx to some people here.
http://www.xbmc4xbox...php?f=15&t=2539

I would just do what the post says to install icefilms.
Between this and seeon.tv I can happily watch movies all through the weekend
pop.gif

I thought this would be relivant given you say that you mostly used it for media b4 moding smile.gif

Edited by shambles1980, 15 July 2011 - 12:18 AM.

#10 phliksta

phliksta

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

Thanks man, much appreciated! I'll check out Icefilms and seenon.tv when I'm done downloading and installing Navi-X. With everything XBMC can do, I wonder if I still need UnleashX since I could use heimdall's Engineering Disc to install it anytime I could need it. Can I simply copy XBMC to C:\ and overwrite UnleashX with it? Of course while I'm running XBMC so the UnleashX files aren't being used.

I settled on a regular 2.4GHz wireless keyboard instead of Blutooth. Found a keyboard and optional mouse bundle for 15 when a Blutooth dongle alone would be almost half of that with a keyboard being at least 20.

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Don't touch the C partition.

Changing the dash is really simple. Install XBMC in E:\Apps\XBMC\, and run it as an application to make sure it works. Grab the XBMC shortcut (from the T3CH build), put both files in a temporary folder (e.g. E:\temp\), and run the shortcut to make sure it loads XBMC. Then rename the shortcut xbe and its config file to have the same name as your current dash (default.xbe/cfg for Krayzie, evoxdash.xbe/cfg for SID), and run it to make sure it works. To make XBMC your dashboard, copy your current dashboard files (config.xml and either default.xbe or evoxdash.xbe) to E:\Apps\UnleashX\ (or E:\Apps\Evox\ if you are running Evox as your dash). If you are using SID rename E:\Apps\UnleashX\evoxdash.xbe to default.xbe. Finally, delete your current dash xbe and move the XBMC shortcut files from E:\temp\ to your currrent dashboard location. When you reboot you will have XBMC as your dash.

Alternatively you can use HeXEn to do it for you . Use option 2.1.2 to re-install the softmod. Then use option 4.1 to install XBMC on E. Use ftp to delete E:\Apps\XBMC\ and replace it with the latest version. Finally you can use the dash switch options in HeXEn (5.1.3.3) or the Switch Dashboards option from the UnleashX menu to set up XBMC as your dashboard.

Edited by Heimdall, 15 July 2011 - 11:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users