dsdork

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

If anyone can recommend a good XBOX to JAMMA with 25" WG monitor, I'd appreciate it.

I'm between making this:
http://mysteriousand...y/xbox-to-jamma , buying the ultimarc cable that has the video amplifier in it, or buying one of these:
cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-console-time-control-timer-board-Jamma-cabinet-/250756462241

The main reason I'm not 100% sure about making my own is the lack of video amplification.
The ultimarc cable is $$ for what it is
the eBay thing is of questionable quality

Thanks!

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

Something to keep in mind.

If you go with building the converter from the tutorial you've linked to, the resulting adapter will not work on a CGA monitor (Pac-Man, Galaga, etc). Make sure your arcade monitor is either an aftermarket "tri-mode", or at least EGA.

For CGA monitors, try this page and scroll down to this section: "XBox to Arcade Monitor/Speaker Adaptor". Scroll down to the last item on the page for the adapter designed for "tri-mode" monitors if you have one of those.

Also note that I havn't used any of these adapters myself. I have basically just been dreaming/researching the stuff for my own knowledge as I would like to get into this myself but can't afford a new CGA monitor.

Regards

#3 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

always wanderd what are the benefits of using a arcade monitor vs a CRT tv ?

#4 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

The main benefit is authenticity.

It depends on which arcade games you like to play tho, but in the case the common classics, such as Pac-Man, Galaga, Centipede, etc, they were coded to use a very low resolution, 240p, which is a CGA resolution, because all they had at the time in the way of monitor tech, was CGA (they could have just used TV's inside the cabinets, but CGA offered a much clearer image).

When playing such games on a VGA monitor, or even a TV, the games must be stretched to fill the screen. This is done though various methods, depending on the software/hardware filter, but is most commonly achieved through line doubling, and/or blurring which works, but (arguably) never looks as good as the original picture displayed on the original arcade monitor.

Most people won't notice the difference, which is negligible, unless you are old enough to vividly remember playing these classics on their original hardware (coin-op machine).

The difference between playing a CGA game on a CGA monitor, or playing it on a TV could be compared to the difference between listening to an MP3 encoded at 192kbps and then again encoded at 320kbps. Unless you really know what to look (listen) for, the average person wouldn't notice it.

If you are a classic arcade junkie, I invite you to see the difference for yourself. Fire up your xbox and play one of the above mentioned games on a TV, paying close attention to the the way the game looks. Then, do a google search for close-up screenshots of said game running on the arcade hardware. It is awesome, and surprising.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 17 July 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#5 dsdork

dsdork

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Jul 17 2011, 03:15 PM) View Post

The main benefit is authenticity...
The difference between playing a CGA game on a CGA monitor, or playing it on a TV could be compared to the difference between listening to an MP3 encoded at 192kbps and then again encoded at 320kbps. Unless you really know what to look (listen) for, the average person wouldn't notice it.

I think you just talked me into selling by 25" WG to someone who can use it for a resto + buying a 25"-27" flat glass 480 CRT TV with component inputs off craigslist for $25. I can buy multiple TVs for what the ultimarc cable will cost me. It will be better of regular xbox games too. I sincerely appreciate it. I have one cabinet with this setup and LOVE it.

#6 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:15 AM

like i said I always did wonder... (never worked out in my head cost vs seemingly no diference to me)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users