37 replies to this topic

#1 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

Today may be the day I finally get my new Xbox (my last one got messed up when I tried to mod it), so I wanted to make sure everything was perfect for the process. I want to use my modded Xbox just for gaming; anything else is secondary. When I looked up how to do it about a month ago, I bought the following things:
  • a 350 gb hard drive that can be locked
  • a molex y splitter
  • a few games to save onto my new hard drive

The thing that messed up my old Xbox may be because I didn't save the softmod to right partition. That or something happened to the E partition during the install. To be blunt, my original hard drive is useless for the Xbox.

During the week after that fiasco, I found out about places to install the latest Xbox dashboard. What's stopping me from installing the dashboard onto my larger hard drive and putting it into my old Xbox? It still plays original Xbox games, despite constantly hitching up (it was a version 1 Xbox, so it's been around since 2001), so I don't know why just putting another HD in the system would change anything.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Your previous problem was nothing to do with "saving the softmod to right partition"...... You chose to use a softmod that has lots of newbie-unfriendly options, installed it using options that meant that mistakes were likely to be catastrophic, then proceeded to make lots of mistakes.

To install a different disk into your old Xbox you need to be able to copy files (the right files to the right places, not in a random sense) to the disk and lock it - and with only a laptop you can't do that. If by old Xbox you mean the one you screwed up a few weeks ago then you could possibly hotswap to a USB/IDE enclosure and use Xplorer360 beta 6 to install a clean dash then redo the softmod, or you could fit a chip.

To mod your new Xbox, make sure that the MS Dash is version 5960, and if it isn't use Halo 2 to update it - as I described in your original post. Then use the Krayzie 1.1.1 gamesave softmod installer to install the softmod - select Basic Install - UnleashX Dashboard. Once that's done use HeXEn to update the dash, install XBMC etc. You can also use HeXEn plus a separate IDE power supply to build and lock your larger hard drive, or you can use Chimp 2618 to do that with the Molex Y splitter.

Also, FYI, with a softmod you have no choice "about places to install the latest Xbox dashboard" or about where to put the MS Dash - the MS Dash location was decided by Microsoft, and the hacked dash location is decided by the person who wrote the softmod.

Edited by Heimdall, 18 July 2011 - 09:16 PM.

#3 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

I just finished downloading the Krayzie installer, but I don't really know what to put on the USB. It's all in folders with unzipped files. If you could walk me through it (or at least direct me to an active tutorial site), I would appreciate it. The tutorial described in the readme is dead; you can still get to the site, but it brings up an error.

I really don't want to mess this Xbox up, too.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

Which game will you be using?

#5 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

I'm using Splinter Cell, as before. The last Xbox I had encountered numerous problems in which the game would more chances than not freeze up during the intro sequence. The Xbox usually had problems like that, though, with some games that would work well on the 360.

I have another thing I wanted to ask about: should I be unzipping any of the files in the installer rar I got? For example, should I have unzipped the UDATA files in either of the SC save folders?

Also, should folders, such as the "APPS", "DASHBOARD", and "EMULATORS" folders in the "Extras" folder be empty? For me, they are.

#6 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

What are you doing now??
Calm down and step away from the xbox...

I see that you are using a memory card or usb.

1st thing you need to do is get the correct krazie "1.1.1" for your xbox there are pal and ntsc one..
When you havethe one for your xbox.
UNZIP IT
you will get a UDATA folder.
In that folder is a folder which is nothing but numbers.
Copy the nuberd folder to your memory device using xplorer360..
your Usb device should only have the numberd folder and its contents on it.
(numberd folder should have 2 linux saves, install and profile "i think they are called that")
There should be no other splinter cell saves on your xbox

You need to make sure your dash is updated.. so use halo 2 or later live enabled game and try to login to live, you dont have to login or be connected to the internet, You just want the disk to update your dash.

Take the memory device to your xbox and copy the save files from the memroy device to your xbox.

Take 1 step at a time and dont rush ahead of your self trying to think where anything els goes.

let us know how that 1st process went and im sure 1 of us will tell you what to do next.

Edited by shambles1980, 18 July 2011 - 11:37 PM.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:38 PM

There are two folders - SC save1 and SC save 2. Each contains a zip file. Unzip them and you get a UDATA folder containing a numbered folder from each zip file. Copy the numbered folders \5553000c and \21585554 to the root of the USB stick, then use the MS Dash on your Xbox to copy the two gamesaves (one Splinter Cell save of 7 blocks and one Linux Installer save of 380 blocks) to your hard drive.

Yes, Apps, Dashboard and Emulators should be empty.

Edited by Heimdall, 18 July 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#8 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

I didn't get the new Xbox today, but just to be prepared, I wanted to get as many tips for the softmodding process as I can.

For starters, I can't find any screenshots or videos on how the Krayzie installer worked or looked like, so I don't really know what to do when I get the SC save working. Should I expect something along the lines of SID? Also, when it comes to the eeprom, should I use FlashFTP to store it on my laptop, and should I have the FTP ready before or during the backup process? Finally, is it possible to have more than one dashboard on the HD? For example, could I use UnleashX for copying my games to the HD while having XBMC for streaming music and stuff from YT?

#9 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:35 AM

You don't need screenshots. Once you've loaded the gamesave it's obvious.

Yes
Yes
If you want to. The sooner you do it the better.
Yes, and HeXEn will install them and give you tools to switch between them
Yes, but DVD2Xbox 0.78 is better for ripping games

Edited by Heimdall, 19 July 2011 - 12:36 AM.

#10 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:35 AM

I think this will be my last question for today: How will I be able to save my old Xbox with my new one?

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:46 AM

You won't, not without a whole pile of work that's probably beyond you at this stage.

1. Build an eeprom reader to get the eeprom from the old Xbox, unlock the disk in the new Xbox, put the HD key from old Xbox into the new one, relock the disk with the new key. Power off at any stage during this and you are in trouble. Use lxhdm or chimp on the new Xbox to rebuild the disk from the old Xbox, put it back in the old Xbox.
2. Possibly hotswap to a USB-IDE enclosure and use Xplorer360 beta 6 to build the softmod on the disk.
3. Fit a chip

Edited by Heimdall, 19 July 2011 - 02:48 AM.

#12 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:09 AM

personally if i was Rxanadu, id get on ebay buy my self a cheapo AMD Athlon XP based system with a lame 40gb hard drive using some ms-6734 or other cheap ass motherboard.
(sata support sux on the board i just mentioned. the via chip should have been recalled. so they are cheap, and has usb boot support as well as floppy disk drive "snazzy")

They also have a simple "cant really mess it up" bios, which does support disabeling hard drive detection for xboxhdm.
and you can get a 2nd hand 15" flat screen tft monitor for next to nothing (just bought one other day for (16)

I doubt a whole system and some sort of monitor (possibly crt) would be much more than like 40 here in the uk if you could collected it. Probably even less in the states.
And if you really want to modify xboxes and tend to make mistakes.. then Personaly.. This is just me speaking here.
You will eventualy need a crappy little box that you can pull out from under your bed and use it for hotswapping excetera.

i dont see how he couldnt fix his old xbox if he had a pc unless it never unlocks the drive then he would need an eeprom reader and a pc.
but i guess thats all a diferent matter entierly. and he should just concentrate on his new box.

Edited by shambles1980, 19 July 2011 - 05:12 AM.

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

There is a fourth option - hotswap from the old Xbox to the new Xbox. It seems a bit variable, but here's the link.

#14 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:37 AM

I finally got the new Xbox today. However, the flash drive I put Krayzie on is not recognizable with the Xbox. I'm using an old 8gb Verbatim flash drive. It looks rectangular and has a large circle in the middle that glows blue when activated.

Was I supposed to unzip the files rar in the /21585554 folder?

#15 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

The memory card has to be 4GB or smaller.

if you were supposed to unpack the .rar files then we'd have told you to do that........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users