9 replies to this topic

#1 Tomasi21

Tomasi21

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

Alright so a customer brought me an xbox that had the av port all sorts of jacked up and i bought it off of him and i removed the av port in hopes to just solder a few wires to it develope the vga port where the av port would go instead...but when i got it all done and i plugged it in..it shows all 4 lights....is there improper grounding somewhere that the av port provided? or do i need the av port there?

Thanks a bunch!!

#2 Mjollnir

Mjollnir

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Got any pictures of the mod?

In addition to the signal and sync pins, there are additional mode selection pins. Based on which mode select pins are open/closed, the video output format will change.

You probably just need to bridge the relevant pins to make the board default to VGA mode.

http://www.hardwareb...fo/Xbox_360_A/V

Looks like you need to short pin 18 and 20.

Edited by Mjollnir, 23 July 2011 - 10:55 AM.

#3 DragonSlayer1987

DragonSlayer1987

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Also may want to check that no solder points were damaged when part was removed. But Mjollnir is correct you have to bridge pins to tell the xbox how it is connected to a screen.
Just out of curiosity did you test that the xbox worked before, could be a separate issue why it is not working.

#4 Tomasi21

Tomasi21

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. but i couldnt test the box before, the av port was jacked haha. really bad. i shorted pins 18 and 20 and it still shows the 4 red lights. but after a sec or 2 it throws the 0102 so i know its a red ring for sure but itd still not show the 4 red lights in the beginning. and as for the grounds...do i have to bridge the 2 big grounds from the metal caging around the av. to the pins that are the ground for the vga mod?

#5 Mjollnir

Mjollnir

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:12 AM

No, those big metal grounds are usually just grounded fixing points to hold the connectors in place. (and to ground induced RFI in the cable shielding). Not gonna make a difference.

#6 Haygar

Haygar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE(Tomasi21 @ Jul 24 2011, 03:52 AM) View Post

Thanks for the quick responses. but i couldnt test the box before, the av port was jacked haha. really bad. i shorted pins 18 and 20 and it still shows the 4 red lights. but after a sec or 2 it throws the 0102 so i know its a red ring for sure but itd still not show the 4 red lights in the beginning. and as for the grounds...do i have to bridge the 2 big grounds from the metal caging around the av. to the pins that are the ground for the vga mod?

Are you sure? I thought even with a rrod unit they will throw 4 lights pretty quick without a av connection.

Possible scenario, customer gets rrod, customer tries to fix rrod, customer tries again to fix rrod, customer tries once again to fix rrod, customer throws 360 on his arse and breaks av connector then plans to get rid of it. happy.gif

I would try some bridging some of the other av modes just to at see if that will at least get you past that.

Edited by Haygar, 24 July 2011 - 02:40 AM.

#7 Tomasi21

Tomasi21

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

Sorry for the late response, life happened haha

well anyways, i got the 4 red rings to go away(bridged 22 and 24). now its 1022(e74) so i think there are some more grounds that need to be grounded or live ends? i have no idea...i dont think that a reflow would do justice either, but i have no idea...any other thoughts?

#8 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

If it's really E74 and you fixed the VGA output properly then you should be able to SEE "E74" on the screen.

If that's the case then a proper GPU reflow should fix the E74 error.

#9 Tomasi21

Tomasi21

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Aug 1 2011, 02:53 PM) View Post

If it's really E74 and you fixed the VGA output properly then you should be able to SEE "E74" on the screen.

If that's the case then a proper GPU reflow should fix the E74 error.

thats what i was thinking too, i might have messed up on the soldering? im going to desolder all the wires from the board. and do a reflow anyways! and then resolder up the vga port!!

#10 Jumpy_Beans

Jumpy_Beans

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

Sounds interesting! Let us know if it works and if it does you should post some pics smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users