Photo

How Do I Make Custom Thumbnails Display On Xbmc?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Terry_Bogard

Terry_Bogard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

Yeah. I got the latest version of Media Center "3.0.1 stable release", used the readme files that came with it and didn't find anything on this particular subject. I've also referred to wikipedia & viewed sources.xml but had no luck there either.

I'm trying to place thumbnails in picture folders "within" picture folders. I know how to create folders within the root of my pix folder tree but for some reason when I try and create them from inside the folders subfolder it just generates 4 random thumbnails. For instance, say I wanted to create an SNK vs. Capcom gallery based on the artists name. I make two folders, one containing all of Falcoon's art the other has Nona with the artwork stored in various sub locations based on games or CG galleries (keep things more organized, I want to avoid throwing them together in the same folder). Say I start with Falcoon, the first picture I want to introduce the folder to is Mai Shiranui vs. Chun-Li. All I have to do is press the white button and highlight the option "Choose a Thumbnail" and I'll grab it from any place in the hard drive and plaster it.

However, if I try to do this from one of the initial folders subs. All the menu shows is "Generate Thumb". The folder interior displays nothing but 4 random thumbs when I want it to show a picture I personally picked out. According to wiki placing a folder in there that reads folder.jpg is supposed to fix this problem. They also said it's possible to place a tbn of the folder name within the folder or at the same level of the folder tree. I tried them both nothing works. I even tried replacing the tbn files in userdata which actuallly shows those folders cursed by multiple thumbs and it was still a no go.

Is there an option I must tinker with in the settings? I've surfed through the set-up but didn't find anything. Where did I go wrong?

#2 jrl2222

jrl2222

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Xbox v1.6<br />Xbox v1.3
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

creating a.jpg file named folder.jpg should work for pics I think, however if the folder has already created its own thumb you will have to delete that thumb first. If the folder.jpg doesn't work try to rename the file to folder.tbn, it is still a .jpg just with an extension change. For movies it has to be MovieName.tbn. For music I know for sure it is folder.jpg. Never made my own Thumbs for pictures but it should work the same as the others.

#3 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

From what i understand XBMC looks for "folder.jpg" to generate thumbnails for everything. So you would need to find the thumb you want, put it in the root folder and name it "folder.jpg". If the picture has not changed you'll need to delete the pre-existing thumb by going into filemananager and delete the proper folder. You will find it in XBMC/userdata/thumbnails. Delete the appropriate folder, might be games/pictures/programs.

#4 Terry_Bogard

Terry_Bogard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

Man, to think that's all I needed was for someone to explain it to me verbatim. Worked like a charm, appreciate the help you guys. smile.gif

#5 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

in my experience naming a picture "cover.jpg" works as well. at least it does for my music library.

#6 Terry_Bogard

Terry_Bogard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(spliff721 @ Jul 28 2011, 06:41 AM) View Post

in my experience naming a picture "cover.jpg" works as well. at least it does for my music library.

Awesome! Will keep that in mind when I get around to My Music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users