Photo

Slow Connection After Upgrading... Fiber Optics?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TTGo iRunDaShow

TTGo iRunDaShow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

okay so i live out in the middle of nowhere and have had a 10 mb/s cable connection. my xbox is hard wired into our router which is a linksys E3200 wireless-N. i just upgraded our connection to 20 mb/s which the company claimed to be for gaming but notice little difference when i jump on call of duty. i have an estimated 75 foot of normal ethernet cable running from my router to my xbox (i think a 50 foot and a 25 foot with a connector between them).

what do you think the problem is with the slow connection after paying for an internet upgrade? i dont know much about fiber optics but ive heard about them. would this help the internet flow smoother/faster to the xbox?

thanks for any help/suggestions!

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

If you were expecting no lag while playing online, your expectations were far too high. There are way too many variables with P2P gaming—which most 360 games use. The only way you'll play with no lag is if you're host of the given match and the game you're playing does not compensate for host advantage. In truth, total bandwidth has very little to do with a quality, lag-free gaming experience as most games use less than 5KiB up and down per client. More important is ping to the Internet backbone and line quality.

If you want to see if your connection is up to snuff and you're getting what you were promised, go to speedtest.net and run the test and share it here. Then go to pingtest.net and run the test and share it here.

#3 TTGo iRunDaShow

TTGo iRunDaShow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

i dont expect lag free gaming but i go to a friends house 15 minutes away and play on my account there and i get MUCH better connections, usually 4 green bars in call of duty where at my house i get 2-3 bars, hardly ever 4. when i get host, everyone says how terrible it is.

im on my wireless laptop and my xbox is hard wired so idk if thatll make a difference but here are the results...

Speedtest:
Test / Ping / DL Speed / UL Speed

1 / 39 ms / 6.29 Mbps / 1.86 Mbps
2 / 50 ms / 19.15 Mbps / 1.54 Mbps
3 / 45 ms / 19.63 Mbps / 1.2 Mbps

Pingtest:
Test / Grade / Ping / Jitter / Packet Loss

1 / B / 61 ms / 31 ms / 0%
2 / B / 60 ms / 25 ms / 0%
3 / B / 69 ms / 44 ms / 0%

i did a couple more ping tests and the highest it goes is low 70's.

hopefully this helps

Edited by TTGo iRunDaShow, 04 August 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

Who is your ISP? That can make all the difference. Your connection doesn't look like a pure fiber connection. It looks more like a FttN setup which results in significantly more latency as compared to a FttH setup.

I know 15 minutes from here in certain directions will have a significantly negative impact upon the connection quality. If your friend has a different ISP that has better connection to the backbone, that will result in better connection and less latency.

Your jitter (the variation in your ping) is horrible, and your ping is not really good either. It's not horrible, but when you take into account that your ping will be added to the ping of the host when finding the total ping, you're probably looking at 120ms+ in a best-case scenario for most games. I think in CoD, 4 bars is below 100ms. So your ping in most games is probably between 150ms and 250ms.

#5 TTGo iRunDaShow

TTGo iRunDaShow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:56 AM

theres only 1 provider in our area and its Armstrong. Comcast unfortunately doesnt come out here.

is there any way to fix the connection other than switching providers? idk if a fiber optic converting thing would work? or maybe something else?

#6 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:00 AM

What do you mean "fiber optic converting thing"?

Your results likely won't get any better due to your location. You're probably pretty far from the closest switch, which makes your ping less than average. That's one of the downsides to living in most rural areas.

#7 TTGo iRunDaShow

TTGo iRunDaShow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

something like this... http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812998110

if you go on newegg and type in fiber optic converter or fiber optic router theres different stuff on there, but im not smart with that stuff so idk if it'd do anything

#8 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:48 AM

No, that wouldn't help you in any way. Your main problem is your location as compared to the network hubs/switches and your ISP. There's not much you can do about it, unfortunately.

#9 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

I'd be unhappy with my ISP if I was sold a "gaming" service and the jitter was really that bad. I'd also expect the latency to be a bit lower - sub 30mS or better. I'm connected via wireless to a 4Mbit/s ADSL connection, and I'm getting 27mS with around 4mS of jitter. Open a command window and type:

ping -n 50 www.google.com

See what your ping time is, and what variation you get. If it really is as bad as your previous results suggest then complain to your ISP.

Edited by Heimdall, 05 August 2011 - 02:27 AM.

#10 TTGo iRunDaShow

TTGo iRunDaShow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

yeah but what will complaining do for me?

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

If they advertise it as a gaming service then the very least you will get is a refund, because those latency and jitter figures won't support gaming. The best you might get is that they might actually fix it.

What is absolutely certain is that if you don't do some further investigation as suggested, then use the evidence you collect as the basis for a complaint, nothing will happen.

#12 TTGo iRunDaShow

TTGo iRunDaShow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

i did the ping command in google and the results were...

minimum= 51 ms, maximum= 112 ms, Average= 58 ms

is that good enough for me to complain?

Edited by TTGo iRunDaShow, 15 August 2011 - 09:16 PM.

#13 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

The variation in ping is horrible. Your line is clearly not reliable. I would complain if I was you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users