Photo

Can We Get A Controller Setup Discussion Going?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:softmods, xbox linux,
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

one reason why i dont play N64 on my xbox is because i cant seem to find a controller config that wiorks for me, so i thought i'd ask you guys here.

for various emu's you play, what are your controller configs? also, if you are going to chime in and say you just play with original controllers via adapters, let us know where we can buy said adapters.

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

Their aren't any "adapters" (in the traditional sense) available that work on the xbox. What most people do is wire the classic controller (nes, snes, etc) directly to the xbox controller board.
IPB Image
IPB Image
This wireless controller mod supports the 4 D-PAD bits and 8 buttons. So far, I have just an NES controller wired to plug in to it. The controller still functions as normal if no classic stick is plugged into it.

SN:The N64 emulation is kinda weird when using an xbox controller because of the damn Z button. I have mine set up (in GoldenEye) to R trigger.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 07 August 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#3 Xboxer64

Xboxer64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Aug 7 2011, 01:13 PM) View Post

SN:The N64 emulation is kinda weird when using an xbox controller because of the damn Z button. I have mine set up (in GoldenEye) to R trigger.

When holding a real n64 controller with the most common grip, the Z button is pressed with your left pointer finger. So.... I have the N64's Z button mapped to the xbox L trigger. The N64's R button is used frequently, so I like to keep it mapped to the R trigger. Also in the common grip, the N64's L trigger is unreachable and seldom used for anything important, so it is mapped to the xbox back button. Works for most games.

THPS and GoldenEye setup: The c-buttons are important in these games. I map them to the xbox A B X Y. N64's A and B get mapped to black and white.

#4 Garrett.19

Garrett.19

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Aug 7 2011, 02:13 PM) View Post

Their aren't any "adapters" (in the traditional sense) available that work on the xbox. What most people do is wire the classic controller (nes, snes, etc) directly to the xbox controller board.

This wireless controller mod supports the 4 D-PAD bits and 8 buttons. So far, I have just an NES controller wired to plug in to it. The controller still functions as normal if no classic stick is plugged into it.

Hey on that wireless controller is the circuit board points labeled just like a Microsoft controller. I want to do this same mod on a wireless controller but I was hoping the points were labeled the same so I could use this tutorial.

VGA Retro Controller
Just to take some of the footwork out of finding the points on the wireless controller board.

#5 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:softmods, xbox linux,
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:04 AM

thanks for the tips guys. i downloaded and started playing with surreal again and was shocked by how the default controller config was set: it seemed just right!

i am wondering if anyone still plays PSx games on the xbox? if so, i know that needed (at the time i played with it) some major controller configs to seem useful - any tips for those, if you use them that is?

#6 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(Garrett.19 @ Aug 9 2011, 03:08 AM) View Post

Hey on that wireless controller is the circuit board points labeled just like a Microsoft controller. I want to do this same mod on a wireless controller but I was hoping the points were labeled the same so I could use this tutorial.
The points you need to solder to on the xbox controller board will vary by controller brand. They are super easy to find tho if you can follow a trace with your eyes (good eyesight), or if you have a multi-meter.

#7 Darkangel754

Darkangel754

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

I use a PS2-Xbox adapter to play most d-pad intensive games (SNES, GBA, NES, ect..). I found a bunch at Princess Auto randomly for like $2 each.

I find the old Xbox "Duke" controller to work the best for N64 emulation. Something that I think a lot of people overlook is that the "Y" "B" "Black" and "White" buttons map up perfectly with the N64's C buttons.

IPB Image

I much prefer to actually push physical buttons than use the right analog stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users