Joes2Silly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

Is there a way to disable the UnleashX splash screen that shows up every time I boot the dashboard? I have a skin that has another splash screen but the regular UnleashX logo still pops up.

#2 tacitus

tacitus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

UnleashX stores some temporary files in either the X, Y or Z partitions.
Delete the files in those and it should work.

#3 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:31 PM

That won't work at all.

The splash screen is actually at E:\UDATA\9e115330\0064122817A8\uxsplash.jpg. I'm fairly certain that if you simply delete it then UnleashX recreates the default splash screen next time it runs. Try replacing it with the splash screen from your skin, or with a plain black splash screen image (which has to be exactly the same size and format as the original).

#4 tacitus

tacitus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

Aha! My memory failed me, I knew UnleashX stashed that file somewhere.

#5 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

I know this is very late but I found this as the first thread on the subject after trying some of the things suggested, also repeated in the XS Official UnleashX Forum FAQS recently.

UnleashX does indeed regenerate the E:\UDATA\9e115330\0064122817A8\UXSplash.jpg logo and that means deleting it, as the FAQS suggests, definitely won't work.

If you replace it there will also still be problems. The new logo may work for several reboots/IGR but if at some stage there is even the smallest delay in the new image loading (and who knows what may cause that?) UnleashX will simply regenerate the old one automatically replacing it.

I've tried using a 640x480 PNG logo, roughly the same file size, and that was almost immediately over-written by the original JPG. I think one of the times I retried it was even renamed in upper case without an extension.

When using a 640x480 25KB JPG (the original is a 640x480 15KB JPG) that lasted longer but at some point that too was replaced by the regerated original.

I'm going to try a slightly reduced quality version (created using the Paint.net program) of that same JPG which conveniently ended up at 14.9KB but I'm not confident even that will stick either.

The only solution I think that is left available now is to prevent any logo entirely by use of the batch script (linked below from the FAQS) to edit the Config.xml. There's one small typo error in line 6 ("spalsh" instead of "splash") but I can confirm it still appears to work as intended, at least when using a UnleashX 0.39 Build 572 dash.

It gives you a Toggle UX Splash logo menu option which changes the UXSplash.jpg extension to UXSplash.jpg_off. As this action re-runs every time UnleashX is started/rebooted it out foxes the old logo regeneration in the process.

http://forums.xbox-s...q/#entry2727331

Edited by fallenangle, 14 May 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#6 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

I thought I'd fixed a new UX logo by using an icon file size much smaller than the default ie. <10KB and it did stick for much longer but at some point it too was over-written. But now I think I have solved the problem with an alternative solution I've found accidentally if you do want to change the UnleashX splash logo rather than just switch it off.

I'd been playing about with some VERY old versions of UX, pre v0.25, and after I went back to my main UX dash (v0.39 Build 572) I found the UX splash screen had been changed to an even less attractive Xbox logo. I tried rebooting and loading other UX versions just to see if it would be over-written. It never was.

I went to UDATA > 9e115330 to delete it and discovered that the UXSplash.jpg, which had also been regenerated, was not now the UX splash logo file name being used. The ancient UX version had generated a simpler splash logo file name form: Splash.jpg and, after testing I found that this takes precedence over UXSplash.jpg.

So the solution is easy: name your replacement icon Splash.jpg instead and this should ensure it doesn't get over-written by the regenerated UXsplash.jpg. This makes it possible to create and use a good looking modern HD screen compatible icon. I assume this is one of the prime motivations behind wanting to replace the soft SD UX logo.

Interestingly I found that you can use PNG images, which I think render slightly sharper on the Xbox, but you must change the image file type extension from PNG to JPG or it will be over-written by the regenerated original UX logo.

That may sound like an odd thing to do but I believe the same thing applies to folder icons used with XBMC4Xbox too. They can be a PNG image but they must masquerade with a JPG extension or they won't be recognised.

Edited by fallenangle, 19 May 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#7 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

Sorry but after much experimenting the above method has proved not to fix the new splash logo permanantly.

It was pointed out to me on another forum that the splash logo is actually controlled by the skin. The problem with this is the default skins that come built into the UnleashX dash include that default UX splash logo. So if at any time the console reverts to the default skin or you use another UnleashX dash version with a different skin as an App or even just use a new skin without its own UXSplash image file it will revert back to the default UX one.

In doing this it will remove any existing UXsplash.jpg or Splash.jpg even though, as I mentioned in my original post, a Splash.jpg will sit happily alonsgside the default UXSplash.jpg and take precedence.  

I have noticed that skins which do include a splash image may be named either UXSplash or Splash and can be either JPG or PNG. If they are the latter the .png extension will be changed to .jpg by the Xbox when written UDATA > 9e115330.

In short: to fix a new UX splash logo don't use any of the default skins or any other skin with its own splash image file any time. Your replacement splash file in UDATA > 9e115330, however named and with whatever extension, will be overwritten although it might not happen until you reboot or shutdown > restart.

It seems you need to use a skin with its own UXSplash/Splash image file but also remember to do that with the skin used for any Unleash dash in Apps. Put a Splash.jpg in UDATA > 9e115330 just for good measure.

#8 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

There's more to come on this. Sorry to keep bashing away at this and the fact its taken this long but I think I now have everything clear. I'll post again when I've tested a few more things.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users