wedders

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

Hey all.

I've got a cheapo HD adapter (Gamester) that I bought back in the day and only used for the optical output. Now I've got my new box up and running and am nearly done with all my additions, I switched my PAL (UK) box to NTSC and tried out HD, and it's hideous. Anything other than NTSC 16:9/4:3 causes unusable ghosting - which is made more frustrating because, behind the ghosting, XBMC looks beautiful in 1080i tongue.gif

I've looked for a UK-sold official one, but there is nothing. I could buy one from Amazon US but at a reasonable expense and delay for shipping.

So my question -- do any of the third party ones work? For example, there's this on Amazon UK, and in the reviews there are people saying they're using it @ 720/1080 with XBMC etc with no complaints. Obviously I'd prefer the official with optical out too, but I'll take what I can get smile.gif

Otherwise, do you think I could find a UK seller by leaving a thread in the shopping forum here?

Thanks guys smile.gif

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

I use this one, which has optical out.

#3 wedders

wedders

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

Whoa ok, top tip for anyone who has a cheapo HD adapter doing the same thing: look at it's innards (assuming it's a box type like the official MS).

I read on another forum that the S-Video out on some leads causes problems. I don't use that connection so I made a mental note to try it. Just cracked the box on my adapter open and the PCB was covered in muck for one, so I cleaned that up a bit, then looked at the S-Video connector. It was a completely seperate mini-circuit from everything else on the board, involving a couple of resisors and capacitors all cross-linked in a crazy fashion. I took a pair of sharp-pointed scissors and sliced through the tracks connecting this mini-circuit (it only connected to 3 pins on the input lead, which had no other connections).

It now works absolutely perfectly in 720/1080, and I haven't had to spend any money -- suits me down to the ground!

So yeh, if this happens to you, considering lopping off your S-Video biggrin.gif

#4 aektsuke

aektsuke

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

Good post ... an excellent learning.[size=4]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users