• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MySongRanHills

MySongRanHills

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

I fully modded out a original xbox in '03 reading guides off this site. Now I'm thinking of getting a 360 to have some action at some new games and it seems information is very conflicting or hard to find. On the original xbox it was look at the big chart of mod chips and bioses, pick what worked for you. Determine your version (1.1-1.6) and follow the install directions. then switch hdds and start loading dashes, etc.

Is the information up to date that it is impossible to use any method (chip,soft mod, etc.) on a XBOX Slim (4gb or 250gb version) to run third party (unsigned) software??

I have read some stuff about using different firmware to be able to play back ups on the dvd drive. I have read different stuff some saying that that it isn't possible on the slim drives and some saying it is. As far as Live support it also sounds like you can NOT play legit (non back up) games with the modded firmware.

If nothing is possible on a Slim xbox(which is all the local best buy had) which should I try and get and from where?

thanks

#2 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

Most of the drives on the Slim can be modded to play backups. This is not easy and not for the feint of heart however.

There is no way to run homebrew "unsigned code" on the Slim.

Your best bet is to look for a used Jasper "phat" revision 360. These can be found pretty cheap and in some regards better and more reliable than the new Slim 360 revisions. And all of the Jasper revisions can be modded without too much hassle to play backups.

#3 MySongRanHills

MySongRanHills

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

Thanks a lot! That clears up a lot of conflicting information I was seeing. How do I identify a "Jasper" xbox? Also I have read that the jtag mod (still not real clear on what that is) isn't possible even on some older boxes due to MS updates via live or games made after june '09. Is this still up to date, that it isn't possible to run homebrew on such a box thats made or updated after that date?

If the only mod possible is fw to play back ups, do I have to worry about a live ban while playing originals or back ups or only back ups?

I'd really like to set it up for to be able to run homebrew, but it seems like there is no way to do so and play live as with the original(switch to change hd and another to disable mod chip.)

#4 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Members
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:57 AM

To get an idea if a console can be jtaged go HERE.

Jaspers that can be jtaged can be found but very rare and come at a mint of a price. You can find some HERE. I have one for sale there as well.

However if your just looking for a Jasper to mod for backups any phat 360 manufactured after October 2008 should be a Jasper. Manufacture date is on the back of the consoles.

With the latest custom firmware you are somewhat safe from a Live ban is using proper backups. But it has never and will never be "safe"

#5 crazygoldfish

crazygoldfish

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

All xboxs can be j tagged now due timing attack

#6 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Members
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(crazygoldfish @ Aug 29 2011, 07:31 PM) View Post

All xboxs can be j tagged now due timing attack

Not all. No Xenon consoles and not on Aug 16 when this thread was opened.

#7 Dicko316

Dicko316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Aug 30 2011, 01:44 AM) View Post

Not all. No Xenon consoles and not on Aug 16 when this thread was opened.

From what i understand its just because they use the hdmi chip(hana) to slow down the cpu to achieve the hack. So if they found another chip or way to achieve the same result on the Xenon, then there is possibly a chance that they too can also be hacked somewhere down the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users