Photo

Rrod 0102. Which Is Better Reball Vs X-clamp?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MySongRanHills

MySongRanHills

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:38 PM

What is the main advantage of reballing VS using something like this?

http://www.modjunkie...it-V2_p_84.html

rrod kit is like 30$ and reball is going to cost like 50-60$

#2 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:48 PM

i wouldn't trust a $50 reball, one that i did trust would cost more than it's worth, and xclamp is pure junk. invest your money where it will count, get a jasper ~$100 or a slim $200. i prefer jaspers, easier to mod, solid built and now dirt cheap.

#3 MySongRanHills

MySongRanHills

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

I understand having a jasper would be the preferred way to go. That said i have an opportunity to get a rrod 0102 xenon..... so I'd like to know what the best method is and what kind of results to expect(if there are any type of consistent results)

#4 digipimp75

digipimp75

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

I agree... a Jasper is much more reliable, and the extra money is worth it. With a Xenon, there are several RROD fixes available, most of which are temporary at best. Sure, a good reball (or even reflow) could last a while, but the bottom line is that these models are prone to failure. Forget the xclamp kits! They may buy you a day, a week, a month, but the RROD WILL come back and they will end up damaging your system in the long term! Guaranteed.

When I was shopping for a Jtag last year, I got a great deal on a Jasper bundle. It was the best investment ever, and has not failed me once after a year of rigorous use.

If you're dead set on buying that Xenon, go for it. Just know that you may rescuing it from RROD on a regular basis smile.gif I'd start out with a proper reflow. They're not too expensive, and if done right, will last a while. Hopefully, that one you're looking at is a "virgin" box, meaning nobody has messed around with it yet. The more fix attempts that are done previously, the lower the chances that you'll be able to bring it back to life.

Edited by digipimp75, 18 August 2011 - 12:42 AM.

#5 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:57 AM

if u don't already own it, don't start owning it. if u feel like pissing money away, go ahead, but i personally advise waiting for a cold night, and burning your money for warmth as it would be a better use of it. make sure to break all bills down to $1 first so it last longer.

#6 justathief

justathief

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:31 AM

If it's a jtag (or jtag-able) then it's worth getting it reballed...
After the reball, put a cpu cooler on the gpu and your Xenon now runs (almost) as cool as a Jasper smile.gif

If the dash is too new, then it's much better to put the money towards a jtag...

I have a Xenon samsung unit that I use as a Live console, got it for free so I just re-flowed it and put a cpu cooler on the gpu and an extra 120mm fan, and it's been running flawlessly over 2 years now...

#7 MySongRanHills

MySongRanHills

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

Already jtagged. What CPU cooler did you use? I know diff models =diff fitting brackets, etc.

#8 justathief

justathief

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

I just took a Falcon cpu cooler, the alu one.
But if it's already jtag'd, then it worth a reball, imho...

#9 xboxhaxorz

xboxhaxorz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE(iateshaggy @ Aug 17 2011, 06:48 PM) View Post

i wouldn't trust a $50 reball, one that i did trust would cost more than it's worth, and xclamp is pure junk. invest your money where it will count, get a jasper ~$100 or a slim $200. i prefer jaspers, easier to mod, solid built and now dirt cheap.

interesting advice, i personally charge $50 for reflow and $70 for reball some people charge more or less

x clamp is junk, get it out of your brain

however when people praise jaspers as if jesus blessed them is very wrong

they are the latest released model aside from valhalla so give them 3 yrs and they will fail

slims are already failing

want to know why its the lead free solder

when a skilled professional puts a new GPU and uses lead solder that is better than anything microsoft will put out

this is an article i published which explains

skim through it, cause its long lol

#10 Khaine

Khaine

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Music, Gaming and Writing. I also repair consoles + other electronics when I have the time. :)
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:40 PM

Don't X-Clamp fix.

Get a reflow or a reball. I got my Xenon reballed with a new GPU for 35 with leaded solder (I think that's somewhere around the $60-70 mark). It's been running fine for a couple of months now at the very least, which is good considering summer has been VERY warm over here!

#11 herman69

herman69

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Mapping cars, Drifting, Gaming, Reballing Consoles
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:15 AM

If it's JTAGGED, then get it reballed. X-Clamp fix is pointless. As for the person who said they would not trust a $50 reball, price does not matter, it's the quality of work. More expensive does not mean better work.

#12 Grifter357

Grifter357

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:50 AM

Hey,

I know there is no love for the x-clamp fix, but the nylon washer and bolts cost about $2 total. I have had alot of success fixing xbox's I pick up for free. I bought a flux pen, heat gun and a laser temperature reader and have never had 1 red ring on me again.

I think the most important thing I do is install a 70mm fan in the side of the case, I'd guess it cuts heat in the case by about 50% and blows fresh air directly on the GPU and CPU heat sinks.

I've fixed maybe 10 or 12 xbox's and with the supplies I've purchased I would estimate it has cost about $7 per xbox and it's been about a year and a half since I did my first one and it's still going strong.

I just don't see the purpose of paying $70 for re-balling when you can buy a replacement xbox for about the same price.

Thanks

#13 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:37 AM

its not a fix, it is a trick to separate fools from their money. if you are doing this professionally, do yourself and your clients a favor and get real equipment. it was one thing to sell that fix years ago when no one really knew better, but now the data is out and anyone selling this fix is honestly ripping people off.

#14 xboxhaxorz

xboxhaxorz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:03 AM

anybody that thinks some bolts and washers is gonna fix something electronic is retarded

#15 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE(iateshaggy @ Aug 22 2011, 03:37 AM) View Post

its not a fix, it is a trick to separate fools from their money. if you are doing this professionally, do yourself and your clients a favor and get real equipment. it was one thing to sell that fix years ago when no one really knew better, but now the data is out and anyone selling this fix is honestly ripping people off.

Indeed, the parts you need for a proper x-clamp fix wouldn't cost mroe than $5-$10. The technique on implementation is very important thu. If you are not sure what you do, just leave the MS clamps on and do a PROPER Professional reflow or reballing. Replacing the old crappy thermal paste with high perfomance one like Arctic Silver 5, is a MUST at any solution you might choose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users