• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jammin0

jammin0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

I'm having a look at a buddies softmodded xbox. I'm not super familiar with softmods so I had a quick question. It is running what I think is a pretty ancient softmod, he claims that it used the 007 exploit but beyond that I don't know much about it except that it is running evox on it.

I want to get into MS Dash in order to change his video settings to get it outputting HD but I am unsure how softmods work. I am fairly certain that there is no shadow C virtual eeprom setup on it. Will I screw things up if I go into MS Dash? Will the softmod even allow me to go into it? Thought I would ask here before I poke around too much as I don't feel like trying to softmod this setup again if I screw it up.

Thanks

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

Running the MS Dash won't mess up the softmod, but as you say some softmods won't let you run the MS Dash. However, you might end up with a mismatch between a virtual eeprom copy and the real eeprom, which could leave you with a blank screen.

The cleanest solution is to grab HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc) and use its one-click softmod to update the softmod to a known, stable one that will allow you to run the MS Dash. HeXEn also has scripted tools to do things like enable HD modes etc., plus lots of other useful tools. HeXEn also has the advantage that it will allow you to boot past the mismatched eeprom video mode problem to be able to repair it, or at the very least to allow you to easily do a blind reset on the video mode.

#3 jammin0

jammin0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

Sweet, I'll check it out. If it is your work I thank you.

#4 jammin0

jammin0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:05 AM

Ok, I'm at this point and not really sure which option to choose. I'm really paranoid about screwing up this guys xbox, if it were my own I think I would just guess and see what happens. He has an upgraded harddrive. If I update the softmod will it do anything to his savegames or his games/apps that he already has on there?
IPB Image
By the way, awesome piece of software, I could have used this a lot of times by now.

Edited by jammin0, 26 August 2011 - 12:06 AM.

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

First of all, have you tried running MS Dash from his original softmod to see if it works?

If it doesn't then use HeXEn. It won't mess up his games / apps. It will delete any gamesaves for Splinter Cell, Mechassault and 007:Agent Under Fire, but leaves all other gamesaves untouched. It installs UnleashX as its dash, but gives you the option to switch to Evox.

You select either 2.1.2 to install a Kingroach softmod, or one of options 2.2.5-2.2.7 to install a Krayzie softmod. If your friend still has 007:AUF I'd suggest you use that option (2.2.5), if not then use option 2.2.7 (Splinter Cell) because all copies of Splinter Cell are exploitable and you can pick them up for pennies. Don't worry, you don't need the game to do the upgrade, it's just a useful back door for the future.

Once Krayzie is installed and working you reboot with HeXEn and select option 6.2 to enable the HD modes.

Edited by Heimdall, 26 August 2011 - 12:34 AM.

#6 jammin0

jammin0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:33 AM

Ok, tried running the MSDash and I get the error 21 screen.

Should I proceed?

Edited by jammin0, 26 August 2011 - 01:34 AM.

#7 jammin0

jammin0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

Perfect, worked just as advertised, the enigmah hung on me but I was already in NTSC mode so I finally rebooted and it kicked me over into MSDash to change settings. The one thing that didn't quite work was the XBMC link. I'm not quite sure what happened, my buddy has all his apps on the F: drive. Can I just copy that over to E: to get it working? Thanks a million man, Hexen disc sure was slick.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

To get XBMC working read this post, but pick the options for XBMC on F instead of XBMC on E.

If your friend wants to keep his current version of XBMC then you need to rename his current XBMC directory to something else, do the installation as described in the post above, but instead of deleting XBMC then replacing it with the latest version you delete it then replace it with the copy from the renamed directory.

If you want to put XBMC on E and keep his current version and its setup then follow the post exactly, but instead of using FTP to install the latest version you copy the version from F.

Edited by Heimdall, 26 August 2011 - 08:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users