• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cjard

cjard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

If we have a .ccd, .bin/.cue, .iso or an .img or some other kind of CD image, stored inside a zip file, can PCSXBOX start it? I ask because Crash Bandicoot (for example) will start if I extract the .bin, but it doesnt seem to start the zip.. or is the black screen what it does while it's unpacking the zip and I'm not waiting long enough?
tia

#2 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:57 AM

Nope... sorry man. Won't work in a zip sad.gif

#3 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:04 AM

Thing is playing a CD game out of a zip is not such a good idea anyways. Cause when it comes to reading the data alot of psx games dont just read it sequentially. They jump around from sector to sector. Especially if you have games that use CDDA or CDXA. So each time a seek is done cpu time is wasted decompressing the image trying to find that exact track the game needs. If you thought psx emulation was a bit slow now.. it would be even slower considering how the CDXA speed and game speed are VERY closely tied together.

Unzipping a CD game before playing is also not very practical because who in the world wants to wait 5-10 minutes for the game to unzip before the play it? You also have to keep in mind that the xbox processor speed is not like the processors of today so extracting is not gonna be super quick.

Another example... ScummVM.. the latest scumm has Flac support.. but the speed is so slow on the xbox processor it really is not worth using images that contain flac files.

#4 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

You can always use Samba/Relax shares to play from wink.gif

#5 JLsoft

JLsoft

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

There was

- Supports BIN files or GZIP'd BIN files. (GZIP is not the same as ZIP)

...in v1's readme, but I don't know if it was removed at some point. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users