8 replies to this topic

#1 NaokiS

NaokiS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

Hey guys.

Got my xbox board back today and imeddiatly I saw what to me looked like oxidation or leaking capacitor fluids. My board is a v1.2. The cap in particular is C7G3.I cleaned up the fluid and tried powering the board, but it only tried to start twice before showing a red blinking light. The cap is worn and I can't tell the exact details, but it looks like it says it's a 1F 2.5V cap. Is this correct?

And would this be a capacitor fault? I have no output on screen and the bios doesn't show

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

The cap in question is only responsible for feeding juice into the clock circuit to keep the time set while the xbox is unplugged from the AC outlet. The faulty cap alone will not cause the frag, however, the leaking fluid can. The fluid is corrosive, so yea, if your xbox has died in a seemingly unexplainable matter, you now have an explanation.

EDIT: The first thing I do when I get a new xbox it flash the TSOP with a hacked bios. Then I immediately remove that cap. They are known for this and are like a ticking time bomb inside every xbox. It is inevitable that they will leak and subsequently kill the board. So rather than worrying about remembering to occasionally check that capacitor for leaks, I remove them straight away. It's easier.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 28 August 2011 - 05:06 PM.

#3 NaokiS

NaokiS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Aug 28 2011, 05:01 PM) View Post

The cap in question is only responsible for feeding juice into the clock circuit to keep the time set while the xbox is unplugged from the AC outlet. The faulty cap alone will not cause the frag, however, the leaking fluid can. The fluid is corrosive, so yea, if your xbox has died in a seemingly unexplainable matter, you now have an explanation.

EDIT: The first thing I do when I get a new xbox it flash the TSOP with a hacked bios. Then I immediately remove that cap. They are known for this and are like a ticking time bomb inside every xbox. It is inevitable that they will leak and subsequently kill the board. So rather than worrying about remembering to occasionally check that capacitor for leaks, I remove them straight away. It's easier.

F**K. Well, there goes a good console, unless there's anything I can potentially do to try save it..

#4 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

desolder the cap. get some lemon juice and use that to clean the board (where the cap leaked) clean the lemon juice off entierly. inspect the board for broken traces.. (inspect all caps/transistors,ect around the area)
if traces are damaged.. use some sand paper to expose good parts of the trace and use conductive paint to repair them. let the paint dry, make sure you dont create any shorts, wait a good 24 hours after you have done this and seal her up with clear nail varnish or similar, if any components need replacing, replace them, if some have been damaged (legs connections) fix them with solder. check that no solder joins have been corroded and become ineffective. if they have re solder them (you may need to create a new trace)
Hope for the best and turn it on..

if you dont have the equipment needed for this then your probably better off getting a new board. and a eeprom reader if the hdd contents are valuable and you dont have the eeprom.
If you do have the eeprom then a new board would probably be enough just get 1 with the eeprom supplied.

-=EDIT=-

i notice you say you just got your xbox back...
Where did you get it back from did some 1 try to tsop flash it? if so it could be a bad flash.

Edited by shambles1980, 29 August 2011 - 12:02 AM.

#5 NaokiS

NaokiS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Aug 28 2011, 11:55 PM) View Post

desolder the cap. get some lemon juice and use that to clean the board (where the cap leaked) clean the lemon juice off entierly. inspect the board for broken traces.. (inspect all caps/transistors,ect around the area)
if traces are damaged.. use some sand paper to expose good parts of the trace and use conductive paint to repair them. let the paint dry, make sure you dont create any shorts, wait a good 24 hours after you have done this and seal her up with clear nail varnish or similar, if any components need replacing, replace them, if some have been damaged (legs connections) fix them with solder. check that no solder joins have been corroded and become ineffective. if they have re solder them (you may need to create a new trace)
Hope for the best and turn it on..

if you dont have the equipment needed for this then your probably better off getting a new board. and a eeprom reader if the hdd contents are valuable and you dont have the eeprom.
If you do have the eeprom then a new board would probably be enough just get 1 with the eeprom supplied.

-=EDIT=-

i notice you say you just got your xbox back...
Where did you get it back from did some 1 try to tsop flash it? if so it could be a bad flash.

no luck, guess it's something else...

#6 NaokiS

NaokiS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:26 AM

I've been looking into the whole thing again, and I still can't see any traces missing or that. I've read that Red+Green means the BIOS can't be loaded normally. Looking about I can see that the components between F+G8 (CR7G1, R7FQ, R7F8, R7G3, Q7G2, R7G1 and 7G2) have a discolouring to their solder joints, which is partially true for the holes in the board (going to other side). C7G7 seems to have it too.

Any more ideas now?

#7 big F Mk II

big F Mk II

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

Recently I bought a job lot of original Xbox's from one of those cash converter type places, as not sure if working sold as seen.

Upon opening them up I found a lot that had popped capacitors and dully tested them. Several were just fine and booted up and TSOP etc, one was immaculate except for a small amount of goo from the Capacitor so I cleaned it off and it failed in the same way yours did. No matter as I intend to use the memory in other xbox's . I checked it under magnifying glass and cant see any damage, but I bet its there.

The irony of the whole thing is the one that was absolutely full of crap and was rusty , had been water damaged and covered in Capacitor goo works fine.
I have never bothered to remove the Capacitor after TSOP'ing but have just checked my previously modded boxes, and a couple are showing signs, so its out with the soldering iron.

I dare say that you may be o.k with a bit of good careful cleaning.
Bear in mind that my recent purchased Xbox's were in storage in the cash converter place for around 7 years and to be honest all except for one were in a bad state before hand and they all fired up after a bit of love with Iso alcohol cotton buds and a tooth brush.

#8 NaokiS

NaokiS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:06 PM

So, should I desolder the caps, check for fluid under them? I don't remember seeing any fluids by other caps, but then stranger things have happened...

#9 big F Mk II

big F Mk II

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

Yeah I reckon that would be a good thing to try. All the components in that area are all standard issue and apart from the size SMT parts which are a P.I.T.A to fit anyhow, are all buy able on line etc, so if anything is dead then you can fix it. If anything SMT is dead you can cobble on standard size components instead, it wont look pretty but would work.

Edited by big F Mk II, 14 October 2011 - 09:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users