Photo

Black Screen When Booting/quick Eject Works (weird)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ceaseless

ceaseless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

I don't really know what happened over the past week and I've been trying to find a solution, but I can't.

When the Xbox boots up, it no longer automatically boots the xbmc dashboard (or any other dash) right away. It just hangs on a black screen. Only when I press eject to open and close the tray real fast, then a dash screen comes up. If I leave the tray ejected, it goes to m$ dashboard (like a dual boot).

Is there some kind of config stored somewhere that when I turn on my xbox, it goes straight to the xbmc or other dashboard instead of a black hanging screen? I can also FTP into my box

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Which softmod?

Did you try to upgrade XBMC immediately before the problem started?

#3 ceaseless

ceaseless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

SID5. I've upgraded XBMC a few times before the problem, but it can be any dashboard. Although I'm not sure, I think the problem lies between the boot process of the console and the dashboard.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

What do you mean "but it can be any dashboard"?

There isn't anything between the boot process and the dashboard......

So, did you try to upgrade XBMC immediately before the problem started? If not, did you do something else?

#5 ceaseless

ceaseless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

Well because no matter what dash I use, the same thing happens. If I uninstall XBMC and install UnleashX, still a black screen only when I press the power button.

I thought something looked for the dashboard to boot it after the Xbox logo. That's why I ask.

PS: Also, I'm glad to be talking with you as I have seen you around in the forums and I like your work

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

How are you changing between XBMC and UnleashX i.e. which files are you changing?

#7 ceaseless

ceaseless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

When I want to change dashes, I uninstall the current (for ex: XBMC) and install another (like UnleashX) with the Auto Installer Deluxe DVD

#8 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:36 AM

sounds like the dvd player is searching for a game to autoload but cant read it correctly or isnt one in there but it isnt sure if there is or not..
have you tried cleaning the dvd player?

#9 ceaseless

ceaseless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:57 AM

Nah this doesn't have anything to do with the DVD drive as I'm trying to get my dashboard to boot on the hard drive by the power button only, not the eject button. My games are on the hard drive so I rarely use my DVD drive anymore.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Try swapping the dashboard manually. It should be E:\evoxdash.xbe, just replace it with a copy of UnleashX.

#11 ceaseless

ceaseless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:31 PM

I don't want to muddy things up, but I may have come across a post that has to do with my problem. I went searching after I posted here. http://forums.xbox-s...o...648145&st=0

No matter what dash I use, its the same, because it isn't dependent on different dashes. It's more dependent on the Xbox and the spin up time of the hard drive to initiate the dashboards I believe. What may interfere with it is the SATA to IDE adapter or the SATA hard drive I have.

I recently upgraded to a 500 GB two weeks ago. I would've bought a high priced IDE drive, but since I know SATA is the future for now, I've headed this direction as I see some others have also. Hopefully we find a solution soon because my mod still works and my hard disk has no problems. It's just HOW I have to turn it on that aggravates me because the Xbox can't boot it immediately.

Edit: When I first did the upgrade, everything went smooth. All partitions and everything. The Xbox would boot to a dashboard every time I hit the power button only. This must've happened when I uninstalled the softmod and redone it to incorporate the high definition and widescreen viewing on my monitor. I read in many other posts that I would have to do that in order for me to view the other video modes and that I would have to set it (HD modes) in the original m$ dash first before the softmod so I think it may have reinstalled differently to the drive causing the black screen on boot. When I cloned the hard drive from an 80 GB, I didn't have this issue at all and everything was the same for the most part.

Edited by ceaseless, 31 August 2011 - 04:40 PM.

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Aug 30 2011, 10:37 PM) View Post
So, did you try to upgrade XBMC immediately before the problem started? If not, did you do something else?

So, you didn't think that a SATA drive installation and an attempt to change to HD counted as "doing something else"? How do you expect people to help you if you miss out huge chunks of relevant information?

You don't need to unistall a sofmod to get access to the MS Dash to enable HD modes, so wherever you read that was misleading you.

You probably have a mismatched virtual eeprom. Use whatever tools SID gives you to repair it. Alternatively, use HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc) to install Krayzie 1.1.1 and use the tools on HeXEn to enable HD modes.

Edited by Heimdall, 31 August 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#13 ceaseless

ceaseless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

Well I have the HD modes now, but when I made this topic, I didn't think the problem I'm having had nothing to do with the sata upgrade or the timing of the hard disk spin. I thought it was a software only issue and that it was as simple as some config file or some other type of file that pointed to a dash on startup at a certain time (because for a week, things booted up fine AFTER the sata upgrade for maybe a week into it).

I figured it could be easily resolved as my softmod still works; it just won't boot up by the power button alone. I only started thinking of different things it could've been later (some time after this topic).

I will now search for topics relating to SATA hard disks and Xbox mods.

Edited by ceaseless, 01 September 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#14 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

Your post makes no sense.

Did your problem start immediately after you attempted to enable HD video? The answer is either yes or no.

#15 ceaseless

ceaseless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 2 2011, 12:11 AM) View Post

Your post makes no sense.

Did your problem start immediately after you attempted to enable HD video? The answer is either yes or no.

Edit: No, the problem wasn't immediate. The reinstall could've caused it, but I'm not certain. I just know that I've reinstalled the softmod a couple times before on my 80 Gig and there wasn't any problems. This problem occurred recently on my 500 GB sata. I've only done one uninstall and reinstall on the 500 GB before the problem occurred, so it could be possible. It wasn't immediate.

The reason it may not make any sense is because like I said in an above post, I thought it was a simple software fix first, but now I see that's not how the software works. There isn't a simple config file. After I left here, I started of thinking about other problems it could be as I keep checking with my Xbox.

I would google things like "black screen" and "dashboard only boots on eject" and after a while, the sata drive thing popped up in my head and I started mixing the words in the google search. It led me to that link I posted above and I have been reading it. So far, it seems like the closest thing to my problems and the black screen because the mod does work - it just won't fully boot by only power button. It 'will' fully boot by the eject button and that's something I don't like to do.

So, to shorten things:
First, I thought it was a simple software fix and that I was maybe missing something I didn't know about. I have done the repairs and the reinstalls before I came to ask for help on the situation. The only thing I didn't do is reclone from my 80 GB drive again because I have done too much with this 500 GB currently to lose it.

Second, I didn't stop looking for a solution to the problem after I left here and I kept searching online for different things that may relate and came across a post where some of the guys were talking about the same issue as me (not booting on time, black screen, etc). Since it is the closest to my issue so far, I'm leaning more towards it now as people have reported after time has passed with a sata drive, they have started seeing late boots and even error codes. It could be caused by the sata-to-ide adapters we use. I'm still looking for a conclusion.

Edited by ceaseless, 02 September 2011 - 08:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users