shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:38 PM

ok so i been fixing and selling xboxes and have come to a point where i ran out of the things..
Well i have 2 left.
a 1.0 and a 1.6.. thing is i only have 1 working dvd player So the 1.0 is going to get the slimbox treatment.

I want to purty it up though and was wondering about any colour schems you guys liked. now im no artist so its never going to have awesome paterns or anything, Its gonna be a case of tape this part up and spray paint whatever with diferent colours.
Im happy with 1 colour utilizing the black of the xbox, or 2 colours. or 1 colour for the whole thing excetera.
i dont want 3+ colours (unless one of them is black thats on the box already)

Any way like i asked i would be greatful of sugestions and pictures wherever possible so i can also decide.
(the pictures dont need to be of slim boxes)
Thnx.

#2 cozmo72

cozmo72

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

Hey buddy take a look at the image topic at the top of the case mod forum. Got some cool colours in there. My favourite tho is a guy who spray it White and put smoked out windows at the top, looked amazing, it's in that image topic tho. Mines just bog standard colour slim box, i wanted it to look like a retro xbox still, but more modern. Take some pictures and post them when your done dude smile.gif

#3 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:15 AM

Start with this bud, this should give you some ideas.............

http://diy.sickmods...._Color_Chooser/

#4 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

think im gonna go monochrome.

its a v1.1 board but..
so far i have cut the case down, tsop'd it. cut down the sheilding. changed the 1.1 GPU heatsing for a 1.0 and added a fan to the gpu. added a fan to the cpu and modified the rear fan. Cut down the dvd holder and made the mounts for the hard disk. installed a 40gb hard disk (just for testing) taken off the front panel and other plastics and given them a decent key for the paint, and now im wating on the paint to arrive.

heres 1 image for now. I would take more but i dont want to reassemble it then take it apart to many times lol.
IPB Image

Edited by shambles1980, 09 September 2011 - 07:06 PM.

#5 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:31 AM

Looks like it's coming along well. Watch your temps on the hard drive after you get it reassembled, i've found that if you have a fan on the GPU like that it will actually make the hard drive run hotter as it kinda slows down the cold air coming into the case on that side. I saw a 10F difference when i took the fan off. blink.gif

What is this monochrome you speak of? Sounds f'ing cool biggrin.gif

#6 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:49 AM

What screws do you guys use on your slims? (To close them) That is one of the last things i need on mine.

#7 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(Marcheslav @ Sep 11 2011, 04:49 AM) View Post

What screws do you guys use on your slims? (To close them) That is one of the last things i need on mine.

havent tried it yet.. But the 360 screws are shorter and should work ok (just checked by eye not by actualy trying it yet.)
They are also a bit thinner so im either gonna use some epoxy in the holes on the top part of the case let it dry and use the screws to thread it. or melt some plastic in there and use a hot screw to thread it..
I think the epoxy is probably the best idea il just use something like 70/30 (hardner to resin) instead of the usual 50/50

QUOTE(Nextelhalo @ Sep 10 2011, 04:31 AM) View Post

Looks like it's coming along well. Watch your temps on the hard drive after you get it reassembled, i've found that if you have a fan on the GPU like that it will actually make the hard drive run hotter as it kinda slows down the cold air coming into the case on that side. I saw a 10F difference when i took the fan off. blink.gif

What is this monochrome you speak of? Sounds f'ing cool biggrin.gif

Monochrome is just black and white.
Im gonna spray the X white. and toutch up the rest of it with black. i went for gloss finish so it should be shiny. I have also orderd a led 80mm fan and i'm going to replace the jewel with that and a dragon designed fan grill. This should make it one of the coolest (least hot) xboxes arround, il jump the 80mm fan from the dvd power i may put a switch on the back to switch fom 5v to 12v but not sure about that yet and i may well just have it running at 5v all the time given it already has 3 fans and the 80mm witll make it 4.
I also swaped out the 1.1 board for a 1.0 board. The 1.1 was a littel bit tempromental as i had reflowd the gpu on it. so i decided better purt in a 100% working board in there. given that its likley to be hotter than normal boxes.

Still wating on my paint and the other stuff i hope it will be a nice day when it arrives as i need to spray it outside. and i dont want it orange pealing on me.

Edited by shambles1980, 11 September 2011 - 03:42 PM.

#8 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

Sounds like a good idea, I'm curious how nextelhalo closed his up.

#9 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

The best screws that i've found have been Sheetmetal Screws. They are #8 x 2 1/2". They fit perfectly for a standard slim and they are phillips head so no more messing with the torque bits.

Just like this but with the above size. Comes is packages of 3 so all you need is 2 packages and your set:

http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053

#10 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

Alright cool thanks biggrin.gif

#11 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

ok my paint arrived today im new to this spray paint stuff to i had to do some test bits 1st. well they seemed fine so i started doing the box.
and guess what i found out??

150ml spray can is not enough!
so i have to go out to buy more. so if your thinking of doing it. id say you need atleast 300ml if not more.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by shambles1980, 12 September 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#12 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

IPB Image

Wating on my dremmel to arrive now. (lame) basic paint job done though, will finish off the white after I cut the hole for the fan. I think the lil draggon thingy will look decent though.

#13 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

had to take the fan off the cpu heatsink to make the 80mm fan fit but wasnt too bad. I also had to change where and how the hard disk was supported by the dvd drive frame thing.
But here it is all in 1 piece again.
I havent screwed it shut yet and want to sand it down with some 400 Wet and dry again before giving it its final coat of paint,
I think the black came out pretty good, the fan has led's that change colour and come on randomly all in all i think it looks reasonable.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#14 pattythefatty

pattythefatty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

nice job, I always like storm trooper Xbox's.
-PTF

#15 cozmo72

cozmo72

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

With regards to screws don't over complicate it, any wood screws will do, just cut them down to the right size and screw them in with a electric screw driver, just some standard philips head wood screws in mine and the things on solid, once in I can just screw them back in and out with a normal screw driver

Box looks awsome mate, just watch out when you put the hard drive in it isn't in the way of one of the main screw holes, it can give you problems puttin the lid on properly if it is, just put the hard drive a bit further back to fix it

Also last thing, get some wireless controllers ( madcatz are good) take the wireless casing apart and put it internal, u just need to unscrew the control ports, dremel it in half ( so controller 1 and 2 ports are separate) break the little graphite ring ( so u have more cable) and stick it inside. Can use control ports off and old box to put into the old holder for the control ports so it looks like they are still there from the outside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users