• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 wristy

wristy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

Hi I have evo X dash and normally when I boot up I get the options for skins, launch apps, trainers,ect..
But my young son was "as far as im aware this is what my girl says hmmm" he was just switching it on and off before she stopped him.

And now when I turn it on I get the evo dash still but the only options I have are....
Ms dashboard
Reboot
Power off
Setting
Backoff

??? what has he done? I have ftp into it and the apps and stuff are still there on the e drive so?
so any help appreciated thanks.

#2 xyteam

xyteam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

is you xbox softmodded or chipped?
if its softmodded try turning on the xbox by hitting the eject button or when you are on the ms dashboard,hold in the left and right triggers and press the black and back button at same time.

#3 wristy

wristy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

I have no idea if its softmodded or hardmodded I bought it like this.
I did remove some files once and had to hook up the harddrive to my pc,
and use a flashing disc to redo it if that tell u more?

I tried open tray ect.. nothing happens, and triggers and back ect.. just black screens and back to the same options? take it apart???? anyhelp needed as I use it as my main media streamer. sad.gif

#4 wristy

wristy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

ok for some reason it wont let me edit my 2rd post?

I have opened it up and it appears to me anyway (Im not sure wat I'm looking for) there is no wires or solder to the R70 ect.. points or ovs chip so I assume it softmodded.

plz help the kids are doing my head in as all their movies are on it and only thing that keeps them quiet!!!

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Which flashing disc? Redo what?

Does the boot sequence look like an unmodded Xbox?

What colour is the LED once it has booted?

When you ftp to the Xbox, what is on the C partition? What about the E partition?

#6 wristy

wristy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 11 2011, 05:45 PM) View Post

Which flashing disc? Redo what?

Does the boot sequence look like an unmodded Xbox?

What colour is the LED once it has booted?

When you ftp to the Xbox, what is on the C partition? What about the E partition?

Sorry it was so long ago I think I fuked up the C partition and had to use a hardmod guide from somewhere
where you had 2 hook up the harddrive to the PC and in it was some option to redo the C drive dont even remember it was that long ago I'd just blank that bit as its been working fine since than for yrs

it just boots to the same evo skin I had saved as the dash with the above options

the LED is fine green as always

when I ftp into it I just see the same stuff all the main evo files on C: and all my apps and stuff on E:

Anymore info just ask.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

You aren't going to get anywhere unless you start paying attention to some details, and maybe sharing that information so people can help you.

What do you mean "all the main evo files on C:"? Which files?

#8 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

I'm glad Heimdall has now found this thread as it has been perplexing me for days.

I just don't see how somebody can do something to the mod which results in the EvoX dash booting as normal, with the same skin but minus a selection of the usual main menu options. Even more odd the content is apparently still all there in the same places on the HDD.

Probably way off the mark but the only thing I could think of was that the dash you're seeing now is a recovery/rescue one of some sort.

The question I would ask is how would you get this to happen deliberately if, say, for some reason you didn't want various menu options to appear? That would perhaps point you towards the way it was done accidentally.

More info is required that's for sure, details of what is actually there on the C:\ and E:\ drive would help.

Edited by fallenangle, 12 September 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#9 wristy

wristy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

Ok here goes
Drive C:
audio
backup
f0nts
fonts
SID
skin
trainers
xboxdashdata.185ead00
xodash
evox.ini
evoxdash.xbe
items txt
msdash.xbe
screenshot0-7
xbox book.xtf
xbox.xtf
xboxdash.xbe

Drive E:
apps
backup
burnout 3
cache
credits
games
language
media
plugins
saves
screensavers
scripts
skins
sound
system
tdata
udata
userdata
visualistations
web
copying.txt
default.xbe
keymapping txt
screendump.bmp

thats it!!! like I said my son did it so I have no clue if he had the controller but my girlfriend just said he was switching it on and off before she stopped him
I noticed the date and time is off but that wont matter will it?

p.s here's a screenshot of my dashboard as it boots now. _http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nu412o&s=7

Edited by wristy, 12 September 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

That looks like one of two things:

- An Xbox with an old / badly installed SID softmod (no shadow C, dashboard on the real C, all softmod files exposed)
- An Xbox that had SID installed but has since been TSOP flashed, but wasn't then cleaned up afterwards

My money is on the first one, because you say that the TSOP points show no signs of solder.

However, before we start fixing it we need to do a little bit more detective work. When you hooked up the hard drive to your PC to fix it a few years ago, did you have to hotswap, or did you have to unlock the disk using xboxhdm, or did you have to do neither of those?

#11 wristy

wristy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

this is part of the guide but I only used the disc for fixing it

1. First thing you need to do is download the Xbox Softmod Torrent at the top of the page. Once you download it extract the files.

2. Once you extract the files burn the linux.iso to a cd.(make sure you burn it as an image) Put the cd in your cdrom drive and shut down your pc.

3. Once your pc is shut down unplug all hard drives from your pc. Leave the ide cable plugged into the motherboard of the pc.

4. Now youíre going to turn your pc on.(boot from the cdrom) Now when the cd loads pause the process typing t. (any key will be fine just giving an example)

5. Now you need to turn the Xbox on to the dash screen.(to where it says Microsoft in white letters) Unplug the ide cable from the Xbox hard drive (yes while the Xbox is on! you have to do this soon as it says Microsoft in white letters) Now plug the master (NOT THE SLAVE) end of the ide cable thatís plugged into the pc's motherboard into the Xbox hard drive. (if the screen goes to an error screen repeat step 5)

6. Ok now backspace the t you type on your pc from step 4 and hit enter to run the program. (if it doesnít find the hard drive repeat step 4)(once everything is done loading go on to the next step)

7. Now type in caps UDE and hit enter. Then type in caps UDE -UDE2 and hit enter. ( !!!CAUTION!!! PAL users should use UDE -UDE1 )
(if it doesnít find the hard drive repeat step 4)

8. Hit y then enter for first question make sure caps is OFF.
Hit y for the next and enter.
Hit y for the next and enter.
Select option 3 and hit enter.
Select option 2 evox hit enter.
Select option 2 evox hit enter.
Hit y for next and enter.

9. Now if you made it this far you have now modded your Xbox and should see an all done message. Shut down your pc and Xbox and plug youíre ide cable back into your Xbox.

Basically what happened is I was completely new 2 xbox it was already modded but I tried to ftp some apps and stuff, and couldn't get them to show up so stupidly I transfered all the C: drive files to my pc and got the error message when I next turned the xbox on ovs.

so I used that disc (i think) maybe even them files on my pc as well to fix it, but it was that long ago I'm not sure. I just hooked up the harddrive and there was a option on the disc to not flash but to something else
sorry if this sounds retarded. but I really have a bad memory of back then

I can mod 360's so not a complete mong, but know nothing about xbox terms ect.. but with a little help on what do I'm sure we will be able to fix it.

Edited by wristy, 12 September 2011 - 04:31 PM.

#12 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:47 PM

heimdalls more than likley got you coverd here so id just follow his advice.
but id like to know if you did anything to the evox.ini file.

p.s
by now i would have booted up with hexen disk and done softmod install. see if that could fix my problem. but like i said Follow heimdalls instructions.
"given that the soft mod seems relitivly intact and from the symptoms it seems to sound like a messed up ini file 'to me atleast' i would rather see if heimdals xbox engineering disk (hexen) could fix it rather than start tying to delete/replace files via ftp possibly rendering the softmod unable to boot hexen"

Edited by shambles1980, 12 September 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

Excellent news. Your Xbox is softmodded with a really old softmod, and shambles1980 has given you the answer. Grab HeXEN (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc), burn the iso to DVD-R at 4x or slower, and use it to install a new softmod on your Xbox. You might need to remove Burnout 3 before you start to create enough space for HeXEn to work, but other than that it comes with lots of on-screen instructions.

Alternatively, if you are really attached to your old softmod, and want to take the chance that next time your son plays with the Xbox he completely removes the softmod, then just edit evox.ini to give you back your old menu, or replace it with a stock copy.

I know which I'd do... smile.gif

#14 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:04 AM

Apart from the EvoX related and personal stuff it does look very similar to my SID 3.1 softmodded Xboxes. Except for one or two things - what is that default.xbe on the E:\drive and why is what should be the main dash on the C:\drive?

If it was a SID (softmod) version installed the main dash would surely be on the E:\ drive. It does suggest it has been messed up in some way.

The solution is as stated of course and I expect that's all wristy is interested in acheiving.

However there's been no explanation as to how the problem arose. I can't see anything that unusual and just blaming it on an old, unprotected, softmod is a bit vague. It undoubtedly happened because it wasn't protected - that's just the why, not the how.

Could the evox.ini have been rewritten accidentally to turn off certain main menu items? I didn't know that was even possible - when I use the EvoX dash as an app the default .ini just has the basic settings (mirroring those in the Main Menu), a few other items like IGR settings and a vast list of BIOS. But there's nothing there connected with the Main Menu items display.

For my own information I was just wondering what would happen if somebody had accidentally clicked on the Flash Bios option? Having never had cause or desire to find out I don't know but could doing that have caused this problem?

#15 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:24 AM

i believe its the end of the evox ini thats been modified or alterd in some way..

you know..
this part
[Skin_Original]

Text = 44,37,0.5,0x000000,0,"<Time>"
Text = 42,39,0.5,0x808080,0,"<Time>"
Text = 600,420,0.5,0x000000,1,"<Name> V<Version>"
Text = 598,422,0.5,0x808080,1,"<Name> V<Version>"
Text = 600,37,0.5,0x000000,1,"<CD>"
Text = 598,39,0.5,0x808080,1,"<CD>"
Text = 44,420,0.5,0x000000,0,"RD Name : <RDName>"
Text = 42,422,0.5,0x808080,0,"RD Name : <RDName>"
LogoType= 0

[Menu]

Section "Root"
{
Section "Play Games from Hard Drive"
{
Line "- Games on the Hard Drive -",2
AutoAddItem "E:\Games\"
AutoAddItem "E:\HDDLoader\"
AutoAddItem "F:\Games\"
AutoAddItem "F:\HDDLoader\"
AutoAddItem "G:\Games\"
AutoAddItem "G:\HDDLoader\"
SortAll
}
Item "Xbox Game Trainers",ID_trainer
Section "Launch Emulators"
{
Line "- Emulators on Hard Drive -",2
AutoAddItem "E:\Emulators\"
AutoAddItem "F:\Emulators\"
AutoAddItem "G:\Emulators\"
SortAll
}
Line "-----------------------------",2
Item "Play Game / Media from DVD",ID_Launch_DVD
Section "Launch Applications"
{
Line "- Applications on Hard Drive -",2
SortStart
AutoAddItem "E:\Apps\"
AutoAddItem "F:\Apps\"
AutoAddItem "G:\Apps\"
SortEnd
}
Item "Microsoft Dashboard",ID_MS_Dash
Item "Choose a Different Skin",ID_Skins
Item "System Settings",ID_Settings
Item "Reboot Xbox",ID_Quick_Reboot
Item "Power Off Xbox",ID_Power_Off
}

this could have been done via ftp transfer of a bad ini file. or by using file explorer and editing the file in the xbox excetera.

it eems that this is missing..
CODE

Section  "Play Games from Hard Drive"
{
Line "- Games on the Hard Drive -",2
AutoAddItem "E:\Games\"
AutoAddItem "E:\HDDLoader\"
AutoAddItem "F:\Games\"
AutoAddItem "F:\HDDLoader\"
AutoAddItem "G:\Games\"
AutoAddItem "G:\HDDLoader\"
SortAll    
}
Item "Xbox Game Trainers",ID_trainer
Section  "Launch Emulators"
{
Line "- Emulators on Hard Drive -",2
AutoAddItem "E:\Emulators\"
AutoAddItem "F:\Emulators\"
AutoAddItem "G:\Emulators\"
SortAll    
}
Item "Play Game / Media from DVD",ID_Launch_DVD
Section  "Launch Applications"
{
Line "- Applications on Hard Drive -",2
SortStart
AutoAddItem "E:\Apps\"
AutoAddItem "F:\Apps\"
AutoAddItem "G:\Apps\"
SortEnd

This is just my assumption given the symptoms however.

Edited by shambles1980, 13 September 2011 - 02:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users