• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jammin0

jammin0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:06 AM

I'm working on a 4-player arcade pedestal. I need to power 4 1W LEDs and I would like to power them from the xbox so that they work easily switching with the xobx itself. Anyway, I am going to underpower them and run the 4 in series which requires 10 volts and a total of about 2 Watts. I first thought I could just power them from the DVD drive power but now I am wondering if that is going to have some negative effects on the DVD drive. Any thoughts? Should I power from the yellow wire from the DVD or try to tap in somewhere closer to the motherboard?

Here's a picture of the control panel lit up.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#2 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

It would probably be best to tap into the power cable from the hard drive. It will give you a 5v and 12v source to use. It should be able to handle it just fine.

#3 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

Well there aren't any 10v rails on the xbox, so you'll have to make do with 12v if you're still going to wire it up that way. You could just use a resistor to bump down the voltage, but 2 watts is a lot for one resistor. I would never wire anything up to the DVD drive's power rails. I've just heard too many stories of people overloading and breaking them. You can use any of the 12v lines (yellow wires) going from the PSU to the motherboard or you can use the molex connector that goes to the hard drive.

#4 jammin0

jammin0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

Awesome info guys. Yeah, I was planning on using some realtors off of the 12v source. They make some big ceramic resistors. I guess I could run them off of a 5v source in parallel. I'm going to check the online calculator right now to see what it recommends in terms of resistors. Anyone know if the 12 and 5v rails are exactly 12 and 5v? I guess I need to just break out the multimeter.

Thanks again for the heads up about the DVD drive.

#5 dsdork

dsdork

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:11 AM

Super cool project!

What are you using to interface the xbox with the arcade joysticks?
Are you going to add a trackball or spinner?
What are you planning on using for software?

#6 jammin0

jammin0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

I was able to find an LED driver for $3.30Link Here, the only bad thing is that it is coming from china so 2-3 weeks air post. Oh well, I can wire everything up and use my bench supply for the time being to get everything dialed in. I'll use a relay from the +5V rail on the xbox to power on and off the LED driver when the xbox is running.

Here's a whole bunch more pictures. It won't have a spinner or trackball, just joystick and push buttons. It is running coinops 2. The joysticks are wired to hacked xbox controllers, 1 per setup which simply plug into the xbox.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#7 caaraa

caaraa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

Well there aren't any 10v rails on the xbox, so you'll have to make do with 12v if you're still going to wire it up that way.
IPB Image

#8 jammin0

jammin0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

Video of finished arcade

#9 ohhwun_xtreme

ohhwun_xtreme

X-S Senior Member

• Members