• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LordGibbles

LordGibbles

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:13 AM

So I've had this xbox for about idk 3 maybe 5 years now. It's one of the first versions of the 360 it has a benq drive (not lite on). Anyways one day the video decided to go off and it only would play sound. I eventually read up on it and replaced the x clamps like everyone does for the RROD fix. This fixed it for about a year or so until my brother decided to plug a HDMI cable into it. It then started giving me an E74 hardware failure error with the bottom right light blinking red. I messed around with the heat sink for the CPU chip and after overheating it, I got it to work temporarily by heating it with a blow dryer ( I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS). I was experimenting with it because I have a new xbox now but I had the free time to mess with this one. Anyways, overheating the xbox until it shut itself down giving the 2 red lights on the left side fixes it temporarily (about a day or so). I had an idea to take the heat sink off entirely off of the CPU chip and starting it up. It shut itself off (giving the two red lights on the left) in a matter of seconds without the need for a blow dryer, AND it worked longer than using the blow dryer. I can play the console for about 2 or 3 days now and then I start seeing green lines go through my games and I know to turn my xbox off, take the heat sink off, start it up and let it shut itself down, and then put it back together and turn it back on and start playing. This is a lot easier and faster to do but it is still kind of a pain, the only reason I am keeping this console alive is because I have it flashed and my new one is a LITEON and I do not even wanna mess with flashing that until I have the newer version of the 360. The point of this post is to let everyone know how I fix the E74 error although it is TEMPORARY and you have to keep doing it.

My question to everyone is, why exactly does it work if I take the heat sink off and let the xbox shut itself down. Why does this allow me to play longer? And how can I maybe permanently fix this xbox (maybe replace the CPU chip?) and if it's possible to do so.

#2 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:20 PM

Do you mean GPU? It is the GPU contacts that are failing that cause E74. Heat expansion with make the broken contacts connect temporarily but eventual the breaks will get so bad that only a reballing will fix it.

Again, it is the GPU that is failing on you, NOT the CPU, you can be 100% certain.

#3 LordGibbles

LordGibbles

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Sep 14 2011, 04:20 PM) View Post

Do you mean GPU? It is the GPU contacts that are failing that cause E74. Heat expansion with make the broken contacts connect temporarily but eventual the breaks will get so bad that only a reballing will fix it.

Again, it is the GPU that is failing on you, NOT the CPU, you can be 100% certain.

Sorry yes I meant the GPU. Would reballing work permanently? And is it expensive?

Edited by LordGibbles, 14 September 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#4 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE(LordGibbles @ Sep 15 2011, 07:12 AM) View Post

Sorry yes I meant the GPU. Would reballing work permanently? And is it expensive?

Permanently is debatable and expensive comparitively yes, honestly i would get it reflowed and if it doesnt work wait for a rebooter for the glitch hack and buy a jasper or slim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users