9 replies to this topic

#1 sloganvirst

sloganvirst

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:38 AM

Hi all,

I own an xbox (obviously), but I do not own a TV. My Xbox is not modded, but I wanted to use it with my DVI/VGA PC moniter...

Is this possible?

I have plenty of 'resources' when it comes to hardware, BTW...

Thanks in advance. biggrin.gif

#2 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:54 AM

I used to play my xbox via a usb video ripper.
it was designed to take video input from vhs/dvd/excetera and you could connect it to your pc like a camera.
there should be plenty of things to convert composit to vga google would probably help..
like this.. (composit)
http://www.google.co...c...few&cad=rja

or i guess

RGB to DVI if you have a rgb cable for higer def (component)
http://www.tvcables....eo-adapter.html

all i did was use google.. (maybe you would want to better research the items 1st)

p.s
you would need atleast a soft mod to achive higer definitions, so if your 100% unmoded you probably want composit.

Edited by shambles1980, 15 September 2011 - 04:01 AM.

#3 sloganvirst

sloganvirst

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Sep 15 2011, 02:54 PM)  

I used to play my xbox via a usb video ripper.
it was designed to take video input from vhs/dvd/excetera and you could connect it to your pc like a camera.
there should be plenty of things to convert composit to vga google would probably help..
like this.. (composit)
http://www.google.co...c...few&cad=rja

or i guess

RGB to DVI if you have a rgb cable for higer def (component)
http://www.tvcables....eo-adapter.html

all i did was use google.. (maybe you would want to better research the items 1st)

p.s
you would need atleast a soft mod to achive higer definitions, so if your 100% unmoded you probably want composit.

Ok, interesting...

I do not have much when it comes to 'spare cash' so that is why I was asking if there were any ways to solder cables together... I have heaps of old video hardware spare...

I will take a look and see what composite to DVI/VGA adapters there are...

Thank you for a prompt reply! ;-D

sloganvirst

EDIT: I just looked at the link you posted, isn't that a VGA to RCA, not the other way round?
EDIT2: Also, I don't really care about higher definition, I just want to be able to use my Xbox on something bigger than a 7" TV!

Edited by sloganvirst, 15 September 2011 - 10:40 AM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

If your Xbox isn't modded then you have to use an external converter. If your Xbox is PAL then you have to use a composite to VGA external converter, and that is an active device - you can't build one by soldering cables together. I'd also add that they generally aren't very good.

If your Xbox is NTSC then you could instead use a component output cable from the Xbox, and use an adapter like either of the ones shambles1980 linked you to - but ONLY if your monitor supports genuine component (YPbPr) signals on the VGA input or on the DVI input - and not all monitors do that. If your monitor doesn't then you'd need to use a component cable from the Xbox plus an external YPbPr to VGA converter - again, an active device that you can't simply make by soldering cables together.

If you mod your Xbox AND the Xbox ISN'T a 1.6 then you can enable VGA output directly from the Xbox. You'll need to build an Xbox to VGA cable (which is a matter of soldering) and install the appropriate softmod / BIOS on the Xbox.

#5 sloganvirst

sloganvirst

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 15 2011, 11:30 PM)  

If your Xbox isn't modded then you have to use an external converter. If your Xbox is PAL then you have to use a composite to VGA external converter, and that is an active device - you can't build one by soldering cables together. I'd also add that they generally aren't very good.

If your Xbox is NTSC then you could instead use a component output cable from the Xbox, and use an adapter like either of the ones shambles1980 linked you to - but ONLY if your monitor supports genuine component (YPbPr) signals on the VGA input or on the DVI input - and not all monitors do that. If your monitor doesn't then you'd need to use a component cable from the Xbox plus an external YPbPr to VGA converter - again, an active device that you can't simply make by soldering cables together.

If you mod your Xbox AND the Xbox ISN'T a 1.6 then you can enable VGA output directly from the Xbox. You'll need to build an Xbox to VGA cable (which is a matter of soldering) and install the appropriate softmod / BIOS on the Xbox.

Ok...

My Xbox, is NTSC, I got it fairly early so I don't THINK it is 1.6...

I am not sure about the monitor, I just know it has DVI/VGA input.

Whatever I do, do I need the BIOS mod?

#6 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:47 AM

You will only need a bios mod if you xbox is not a 1.6 and if you choose to make an xbox to vga cable

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:48 AM

No - but you might want to re-read my post again, especially the second paragraph.

#8 sloganvirst

sloganvirst

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 16 2011, 01:48 PM)  

No - but you might want to re-read my post again, especially the second paragraph.

Yeah, I did...

I am rather limited when it comes to things I can buy, that is why I was wodering about making a cable, but as stated, I will need a BIOS mod...

So, to make it clear, if my xbox is 1.6, and I get an external converter thing, AND my monitor supports it, it should work?

Thanks all the same,

sloganvirst

#9 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

Again, more slowly.

Option 1. Any version of unmodded Xbox, buy a composite to VGA active converter, and it will work but the quality will be variable.
Option 2. Any version of unmodded NTSC Xbox, buy an Xbox component cable and a component to VGA or DVI adapter (like the ones shambles1980 linked to), and if your monitor supports YPbPr over the VGA/DVI ports then it will work.
Option 3. Any version of unmodded NTSC Xbox, buy an Xbox component cable and a component to VGA active converter, and it will work.
Option 4. If your Xbox is 1.0-1.5, mod it (softmod or chip/TSOP flash), enable VGA output, buy/make an Xbox VGA cable (soldering required), and it will work. If your monitor DOESN'T support sync-on-green then you will need to put a sync separator in the cable. See this post for cable details.

So, if your Xbox is a 1.6 then you can use any of Options 1-3

#10 sloganvirst

sloganvirst

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 16 2011, 08:18 PM)  

Again, more slowly.

Option 1. Any version of unmodded Xbox, buy a composite to VGA active converter, and it will work but the quality will be variable.
Option 2. Any version of unmodded NTSC Xbox, buy an Xbox component cable and a component to VGA or DVI adapter (like the ones shambles1980 linked to), and if your monitor supports YPbPr over the VGA/DVI ports then it will work.
Option 3. Any version of unmodded NTSC Xbox, buy an Xbox component cable and a component to VGA active converter, and it will work.
Option 4. If your Xbox is 1.0-1.5, mod it (softmod or chip/TSOP flash), enable VGA output, buy/make an Xbox VGA cable (soldering required), and it will work. If your monitor DOESN'T support sync-on-green then you will need to put a sync separator in the cable. See this post for cable details.

So, if your Xbox is a 1.6 then you can use any of Options 1-3

Ah, ok, thank you for clarifying...

One of the first 3 will be easiest...

Probably option 3.

Thank you for your time (and patience!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users