Photo

Action Replay Does Not Detect My Usb Flash Drive Help?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 leahcimewol

leahcimewol

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:16 AM

Hello all, as a newbie I am absolutely clueless. it's taken me ages just to get ar sort of working.
Game save exploits and installers are in place and ready to be copied over to mem card.
Problem is I tried several times uninstalling and installing maxdrive xbox driver.
Computer recognises it as usbios storage device and comes up with name as maxdrive xbox. great!
Why won't ar see it?I've followed all the steps according to various tuts and believe me I had to trawl many as some people's tuts were not newbie friendly. never mind I can accept that it's trial and error sometimes and all the help is very much appreciated. Now to get to the point - I remember seeing in one of the forums on this site that someone mentioned something about "it doesn't work on usb version 2.0 only 1.0 or 1.1"
do you think this could be my issue. and if so how to get around it?

(should I just accept the fact that vista really is one of the crappest OS around)

I 'm on windows vista home premium OS and the flash drive I am using is a Kingston Datatraveler G3 (4GB)
the first thing I did was put the flash drive in the xbox to flash it to FATX (xbox either a 1.4 or 1.5 has a dash 4920 and an XBOX Live button on main menu - was reading somwhere that dash 4920 has no xboxlive button, well mine does but it certainly doesn't connect to XboxLive) (apparently microsoft discontinued Xbox live access in 2010 for the older xbox models?)
Don't know if the dash may be an issue when I get to the actual softmod step in this saga of softmodding?

I have tried to remain clear and concise and provide as much imfo as possible, please forgive me if I have done it wrong and explain to me where I have gone wrong if at all in my post , after all I am a newbie posting for the first time...and please can someone help, i'm at my wits end. I chose the softmod choice cos I'm crap at soldering and I didn't want to shell out for a modchip. seems taking the softmod route may not prove to be any moe economical? ie. Xbox to usb adapter, tdk flash drive(incompatible), Kingston datatraveler flash drive(xbox sees it , pc sees it in device manager, ar doesn't see it at all) am I going to have to chooose another route like making a fatcatz modded memcard or a modded controller? (soldering..ughh I shudder to think what I might accomplish???)

Hope someone can help becoming seriously desperate. uhh.gif [size=1]

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

Use Xplorer360 beta 6 instead of AR, and make sure you use the Krayzie 1.1.1 gamesaves.

You'll need to update the dash to version 5960 to softmod it. Use Halo 2 (or any other post 2004 live-enabled game) to do that - just start to sign in to live, and the first thing the game will do is update the dashboard.

#3 leahcimewol

leahcimewol

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 20 2011, 10:41 AM) View Post

Use Xplorer360 beta 6 instead of AR, and make sure you use the Krayzie 1.1.1 gamesaves.

You'll need to update the dash to version 5960 to softmod it. Use Halo 2 (or any other post 2004 live-enabled game) to do that - just start to sign in to live, and the first thing the game will do is update the dashboard.

thanks heimdall, few problems though.

Problem 1: I don't have a xbox live subscription as I don't play online. Secondly I thought microsoft has banned older xboxes from access to xboxlive in order to stop them from updating to dash 5960.
third problem I cannot get my xbox to connect to the network.(clearly the biggest problem of all)
when I tried several times it would bounce between almost getting all the stages except for the last one ie. connect to xboxlive(erro message reads cannot find xboxlive servers) to other instances where it would not find dns servers or even the ip address?I set it to automatic and it sorted the first three stages, but still it won't get the last one, help????

Could you give me the correct details please for getting my xbox to connect to the internet.
i.o.w. ip address etc or at least point me to a very concise and precise xbox network set up tutorial aimed and thick noobs like myself, I just don't know what I am doing wrong???? If I don't have Halo 2 will Fable work as I see on the box it says xboxlive aware
other games I have are: SoulCalibre II
Dues Ex Invisible War
Midtown Madness III
I was keen on using the sid4 installer as it is the one used in one of the most easy to read and understand tutorials : Softmod.Installer.Deluxe.v4.Nknave why do you recommend the Kraysie 1.1.1 gamesaves?
are they the only ones that actually work, have I been mislead?
Many thanks for your advice, one more thing is there somewhere I can download this Xplorer 360 Beta 6? unsure.gif

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:02 AM

You don't need a Live account, and you don't need to connect your Xbox to the Internet. Xboxes haven't been "banned", the Live service has been turned off. Just load the game and START TO sign in to Live from the game, and my post CLEARLY said. Fable might work, none of the others will.

SID 4 is old. Use Krayzie 1.1.1 because it's the latest, noob friendly, and stable.

Google is good for finding files to download........

Edited by Heimdall, 21 September 2011 - 02:16 AM.

#5 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Fable and Lost Chapters are a bit of an oddity. They're not marked on the front as Live Online Enabled but on the back of the box, as said, as being Live Aware whatever that means. Whether they'll update the dash just try it and see - if it does you'll get a very clear message and the short update process will be very obvious.

There are plenty of Live Enabled games easily found if it doesn't work and they cost peanuts - in he UK places like CEX do them at as low as as 50p ( US 75c). Maybe a good excuse to pick up a few decent games whilst you're at it eg. Ninja Gaiden Black, all the Splinter Cell games (bar the original), Chronicles Of Riddick, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Timesplitters Future Perfect, Hitman Blood Money, XIII. I've just looked at these from my own collection and they're all marked as Live Online Enabled.

If you're desperate to use SID the last and far more up to date version (5.11) than the old one you have is easily found. In fact it is almost impossible not to find it if you use the most obvious search term. smile.gif But judging from what you've said I'd definitely stick with Heimdall's advice about using Krayzie 1.1.1.

As for networking your Xbox with your PC or whatever you want to do there are tutorials here but this post and thread might be useful if you just adapt the info for Vista:-

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4825313

Edited by fallenangle, 21 September 2011 - 02:39 PM.

#6 leahcimewol

leahcimewol

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 21 2011, 02:02 AM) View Post

You don't need a Live account, and you don't need to connect your Xbox to the Internet. Xboxes haven't been "banned", the Live service has been turned off. Just load the game and START TO sign in to Live from the game, and my post CLEARLY said. Fable might work, none of the others will.

SID 4 is old. Use Krayzie 1.1.1 because it's the latest, noob friendly, and stable.

Google is good for finding files to download........

Hello Heimdall, silly me I did eventually follow your advice, I'm very stubborn u see, want to try figure everything out, over analyzing, anyway I did the update of dash and I now have dash 5960, so thank you very much for your help! and I will take you r advice and check out Krayzie 1.1.1

Q: if I am successful with modding my box with Krayzie 1.1.1 can I then go ahead and replace it with XMBC as I saw a youtube video of this in action and this is in fact what I want to be able to do with my xbox , ie. use it like a normal desktop and be able to browse online with google or firefox, IE etc. as well as play DVD's and also games but mostly to be able to watch iplayer etc on my TV you see I still have an old analogue TV but no TV licenece and no signal where we live and no new flashy big flat screen telly, no HDMI and no way of accessing internet unless I got one of those highly expensiveWD live Tv thingies, I haven't got 80 to spend on such things. but as my Xbox is connected to it I would essentially be able to view what ever is streaming to the device on my TV. otherwise I always have to go upstairs to the spare room to watch on the desktop which isn't appealing in the winter as no fireplace in spare room like there is in the living room.
Thanks again for all your amazing help , I will read with the greatest of attention in the future!

Cheers!

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Sep 21 2011, 02:30 PM) View Post

Fable and Lost Chapters are a bit of an oddity. They're not marked on the front as Live Online Enabled but on the back of the box, as said, as being Live Aware whatever that means. Whether they'll update the dash just try it and see - if it does you'll get a very clear message and the short update process will be very obvious.

There are plenty of Live Enabled games easily found if it doesn't work and they cost peanuts - in he UK places like CEX do them at as low as as 50p ( US 75c). Maybe a good excuse to pick up a few decent games whilst you're at it eg. Ninja Gaiden Black, all the Splinter Cell games (bar the original), Chronicles Of Riddick, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Timesplitters Future Perfect, Hitman Blood Money, XIII. I've just looked at these from my own collection and they're all marked as Live Online Enabled.

If you're desperate to use SID the last and far more up to date version (5.11) than the old one you have is easily found. In fact it is almost impossible not to find it if you use the most obvious search term. smile.gif But judging from what you've said I'd definitely stick with Heimdall's advice about using Krayzie 1.1.1.

As for networking your Xbox with your PC or whatever you want to do there are tutorials here but this post and thread might be useful if you just adapt the info for Vista:-

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4825313

thanx fallenangel, will check out that forum post!

#7 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

Glad to help,

Installing XBMC as the main dash won't be any problem but I don't know much about some of the other things you want to do or even if it's possible.

However one thing I'm fairly sure of is that it will recommended at some stage you find and download HeXen (Heimdall's Xbox Engineering disc). I don't think it is wrong to say it has become the standard modded Xbox tool set and will help you do some of things you want to do and plenty of other you may not have even thought about, like upgrading your Xbox's HDD.

Edited by fallenangle, 21 September 2011 - 05:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users