32 replies to this topic

#1 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

Still trying to get to grips with this modding stuff, so apologies for the noob question...

I did a softmod a couple of months ago, I used xboxhdm linux boot disk and have the UnleashX as the front end.

Anyway, I had a 40GB Seagate drive, and it looked compatible from the list, so I decided to try and swap it in. I was following the quide at http://www.XS Filter...orials-185.html, and everything seemed to go well, but when I put the 40GB hard drive in, I no longer have the UnleashX interface, it's just the regular Xbox interface. I did copy the contents of the C and E drives, so they were added to the linux.iso, so I reckon they should have been added, but wondering why I don't have the unleashX interface.

Do I need to softmod again, or is there something I'm missing?

Edited by tmcw, 04 October 2011 - 12:02 AM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

The link to the tutorial has been blocked, but it will almost certainly be one of two things:

1. Because you didn't bypass shadow C before you copied your C partition to make the new disk
2. Because you didn't select the correct options when running xboxhdm.

Read the link in my signature about softmod hard drive upgrade options, then consider using lxhdm, which is implemented in HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc). Alternatively read the "Build a new softmod disk with eeprom" link.

Edited by Heimdall, 04 October 2011 - 12:04 AM.

#3 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

Ah yes, I see that the tutorial is blocked. The title is "Install Larger Hard-Drive into SoftModded Xbox", first hit on google.

Thanks, I'll have a look at your link. Will using lxhdm help me get over the issue I have when booting to an error 21, as the Aerogel capacitor had to be removed, and I'm not really inclined in putting in a replacement? Or are there any other solutions to this error whilst leaving the capacitor out?

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

If having the capacitor removed means that your Xbox throws an error 21, and you installed the original softmod correctly, then the method of building the new disk will have no effect. However, if it's a bad softmod problem then HeXEn will fix that for you, because it will properly install Kingroach NDURE 3.1 or Krayzie 1.1.1.

That tutorial is incomplete, because it totally ignores properly installed softmods with shadow C protection.

#5 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

I'll never get this done...

Whats the latest version of Hexen, is there any specific file/version I should look for?

I got a torrent last night called "HeXEn (heimdall's xbox engineering disc) rar", but when I burn the ISO, it's not bootable. I burned it on the same setup that I was able to burn the xboxhdm.iso, and that iso works fine.

Should the Hexen file contents be visible when read through Windows Explorer, because when I try to read the Hexen burnt disk, I get a message that the drive is not accessable, that "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". The rar file it was downloaded in extracted fine without any errors.

Edited by tmcw, 04 October 2011 - 11:48 AM.

#6 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(tmcw @ Oct 4 2011, 11:47 AM) View Post

I'll never get this done...

Whats the latest version of Hexen, is there any specific file/version I should look for?

I got a torrent last night called "HeXEn (heimdall's xbox engineering disc) rar", but when I burn the ISO, it's not bootable. I burned it on the same setup that I was able to burn the xboxhdm.iso, and that iso works fine.

Should the Hexen file contents be visible when read through Windows Explorer, because when I try to read the Hexen burnt disk, I get a message that the drive is not accessable, that "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". The rar file it was downloaded in extracted fine without any errors.

hexen is a xbox disk.. it boots on a softmoded/hard moded xbox.
The best way (i find) to view the files is to use magic iso or similar and use that to open the iso in windows.
you may want to find a better copy of it..
Google can find it "non torrent"
try searching for this in google:
heimdall's xbox engineering disc hexen -torrent

Its a good idea "when you have softmoded the box" to use krazie tools profesional mode or hexen disk to start the box with shadow c dissabled.
Then you can ftp the C and E drive to your pc. and use that to build a xboxhdm master disk (thats what i call it)
this disk can then prepair any hard drive you like and it will be softmoded.
if you have a flopy drive you can then make a locking flopy with the eeprom of any xbox you want. us the xboxhdm master disk you made to prepair the hard drive. then use the locking floppy to lock them.
This way you only ever need the one cd. and the floppy can be edited to lock which ever eeprom you have.

Alternatavly you can burn a new cd every time with the eeprom.

Edited by shambles1980, 04 October 2011 - 02:33 PM.

#7 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Ok, downloaded another Hexen torrent, "HeXEn 0.99B11-22.rar" this time, file inside unfortunately is the same as the first one I downloaded, has the same CRC, CA0663C2.

Have tried burning with Nero and ImgBurn, but end up with CD-Rs that have clearly data burned onto them, but with no files visible, and seemingly 0 bytes on them.

Any other boot disks I can try downloading that might be able to help me get going on this?

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Oct 4 2011, 02:25 PM) View Post

hexen is a xbox disk.. it boots on a softmoded/hard moded xbox.

Thanks, didn't see your reply whilst making my last post there.

I was wondering whether the Hexen disk was for the xbox, but when I tried it, the xbox just booted to the unleashX interface. Is there anything else I need to do, other than put it in the xbox, and reboot it?

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

You need to burn the iso as an image to DVD-R. You then cold boot the Xbox with the HeXEn disc in the drive.

Edited by Heimdall, 04 October 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#9 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

Alright, I've checked the burned Hexen disk in MagicIso, and I'm seeing the files there, so that's one variable out of the way.

But it still won't boot in the softmoded Xbox.

So at this stage, I'm wondering what the best way is to proceed...

I was planning on putting the original 10GB hard drive into storage, so perhaps it would be best to do this now, and just continue with the 40GB hard drive I seem to have successfully turned into a hard drive that works in the Xbox, but isn't "softmoded". For that drive, I backed up the eeprom, and copied the C and E drives across to the 40Gb hard drive, using the tutorial I linked to earlier.

Or would I be better off starting from scratch again? In which case, can someone point me to a good tutorial, as the one I used originally doesn't seem to have been the best, as I ended up with that error 21 at each cold boot.

Thanks.

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 4 2011, 04:10 PM) View Post

You need to burn the iso as an image to DVD-R. You then cold boot the Xbox with the HeXEn disc in the drive.

Alright, will try that, I was burning it to CD-R's.

#10 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

burn it at the slowest possible speed.. "dvd-r 4x or slower"

if it will not boot with the hexen disk this is what i would do..

provided The 10gb hard disk is soft modded properly i would put that back in the xbox
i would boot with hexen and use it to install krazies 1.1.1 ndure softmod (unleash x basic install not minimal)
i would follow on screen instructions and after a rebbot and it says Press A to enable shadow C: I would press A i would boot again with the hexen disk and then FTP in to the xbox when hexen is running.

I would then copy the C and E partitions from the xbox to my pc.
I would unlock the 40gb hard disk and boot to windows with it connected to the pc.
I would use xplorer360 to view the contents of the drive and i would populate the C and E drives on the 40gb drive with the C and E files i had ftp'd from the 10gb xbox.
(one folder at a time to help reduce the possibility of xplorer360 crapping out)
I would then relock the hard disk and it should be ready for the xbox..

an alternatave to xplorer360 would be to burn a new xboxhdm disk with the C and E files that were ftp'd from the 10gb..

its importaint to get them from the xbox when the shaddow C is disabled. You can tell that hexen has dissabled the shaddow c because the light on the xbox will be red.

If the 10gb hard disk would not boot teh hexen disk either it could be that you need to clean your dvd lens. or burn it slower. or possibly use better media.

you can still dissable the shadow c without hexen if you use krazie tools in profesional mode. or add a specialy named .bin file to your xbox via ftp..
"i dont remember what it is but it could be "Shadowc_off.bin"

Edited by shambles1980, 04 October 2011 - 04:53 PM.

#11 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

Yep, still no dice.

Burned the DVD-R and it won't boot in the Xbox, and when I try it in MagicIso, it gives me an error message that it's "missing primary volumn in the ISO file".

Burned with the slowest speed it would allow me (1x), I've used the burner and the media (both Philips), and they've worked with the few games I've done previously. I'm testing PGR on this Philips media, and its running fine, so unlikely the lens.

Could be the burner, it seems to have given up writing some Maxel DVD-Rs I have that were working previously. Tested with another burner and it wouldn't acknowledge either media, only CD-Rs, and a DVD-RW funnily enough. Maybe I just need a new burner. I'll give it one more go on a laptop burner, it's seen little use, so hopefully the drive will work ok. I know media is cheap, but it's still a pain in the hole when the drives are churning out coasters.

#12 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(tmcw @ Oct 4 2011, 05:16 PM) View Post

Yep, still no dice.

Burned the DVD-R and it won't boot in the Xbox, and when I try it in MagicIso, it gives me an error message that it's "missing primary volumn in the ISO file".

Burned with the slowest speed it would allow me (1x), I've used the burner and the media (both Philips), and they've worked with the few games I've done previously. I'm testing PGR on this Philips media, and its running fine, so unlikely the lens.

Could be the burner, it seems to have given up writing some Maxel DVD-Rs I have that were working previously. Tested with another burner and it wouldn't acknowledge either media, only CD-Rs, and a DVD-RW funnily enough. Maybe I just need a new burner. I'll give it one more go on a laptop burner, it's seen little use, so hopefully the drive will work ok. I know media is cheap, but it's still a pain in the hole when the drives are churning out coasters.

Nothing frustrates me more than wasting dvd's or cd's
Im super cheap when it comes to the things. the loss of a dvd to me is compareable to some one els losing a 1tb hard disk..

any way if you read my previous post you should see that its possible to do without burning hexen or a xboxhdm cd. As i have coverd the diferent options.
Its also a possibility that there are no softmoded files so the hexen disk simply will not boot because the system is not softmoded.. (again i coverd that in the abpove post)

hope you get it sorted out.
Il bow out now and leave you in the more than capable hands of heimdall

#13 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

Finally, the laptop burner has made a Hexen disk that I can now boot on the Xbox.

Thanks for the detailed post, there was only the first line about burning at the slowest possible speed before I went to dig out the laptop, so I'll keep that in reserve and press on with what the Hexen disk can do for me.

I've had my share of trouble with burners too, looks like the two standard ones I have are beginning to have issues, they both seem to be handling reading/writing of CD-Rs ok, but are more tempermental with the DVD-Rs. On a side note, if anyone has any recommendations on a good, reliable DVD writer, I'm all ears.

Thanks again for all the help and direction.

#14 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(tmcw @ Oct 4 2011, 05:56 PM) View Post

Finally, the laptop burner has made a Hexen disk that I can now boot on the Xbox.

Thanks for the detailed post, there was only the first line about burning at the slowest possible speed before I went to dig out the laptop, so I'll keep that in reserve and press on with what the Hexen disk can do for me.

I've had my share of trouble with burners too, looks like the two standard ones I have are beginning to have issues, they both seem to be handling reading/writing of CD-Rs ok, but are more tempermental with the DVD-Rs. On a side note, if anyone has any recommendations on a good, reliable DVD writer, I'm all ears.

Thanks again for all the help and direction.

i find flashing firmware to them usualy helps keep them going most of the time its the OS that makes the things burn poorly..
I notice that if you NEVER EVER EVER use the built in windows burn to cd function they work for longer.

#15 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Oct 4 2011, 02:25 PM) View Post
...Its a good idea "when you have softmoded the box" to use krazie tools profesional mode or hexen disk to start the box with shadow c dissabled.
Then you can ftp the C and E drive to your pc. and use that to build a xboxhdm master disk (thats what i call it)
this disk can then prepair any hard drive you like and it will be softmoded.
if you have a flopy drive you can then make a locking flopy with the eeprom of any xbox you want. us the xboxhdm master disk you made to prepair the hard drive. then use the locking floppy to lock them.
This way you only ever need the one cd. and the floppy can be edited to lock which ever eeprom you have.

Alternatavly you can burn a new cd every time with the eeprom.

Ok, I've managed to install the Kingroach Softmod from the Hexen disk, and the Xbox is now booting to the UnleashX frontend, without throwing up the error 21, so happy days in that respect. biggrin.gif

So now looking to make an xboxhdm master disk as described above, as I have another Xbox (found in an electronic waste dumpster, no less!) and will eventually upgrade both to 80GB, but for now, just want to get the 40GB up and in there, but falling at the first hurdle, how to disable shadow C. Do I boot with the Hexen disk, and use a command from that? Or is there some tool already on the hard drive when I installed the Kingroach NDURE 3.1?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users