FUCKMICROSOFT

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 July 2003 - 04:39 PM

i did some searching, and all i came up with was some newsgroup posts and M$.com pos instructions. i remember seeing a site that had in depth procedures, and i would really like that. also, if possible, i have an 8 gig HD, can i uninstall xp, and put win2k on this 8 gig hd without reformatting my origonal drive?

thanx homiez

----edit----

forgot to say thanks!

Edited by FUCKMICROSOFT, 07 July 2003 - 04:40 PM.

#2 Tribal Kult

Tribal Kult

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 04:53 PM

Let me say that nothing will never be as effective as formating the entire HD. It's like building a house, you'll want to built it on new solid bases more than on old crappy ones. This is particulary true when you are talking of windows systems. That's is just in my opinion tough. I don't know your reasons why you don't want to format but you should have your reasons. Good luck.

Edited by Tribal Kult, 07 July 2003 - 04:59 PM.

#3 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 05:11 PM

"FUCKM$" is your handle, but you need help installing and working with MS$ OS's, and you are signed up to xbox-scene biggrin.gif

Just think that is funny tongue.gif

Why not reformat if you are removing XP? Atleast do a quick format, especially if you had NTFS on the drive, since XP has an updated NTFS that might cause issues on 2k. (Probably a good idea to clear the bootsector as well...)

#4 Vega

Vega

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 06:14 PM

I don't know the answer but I was just curious why you want to go from XP to 2k. XP is pretty much 2k but with better multimedia support.

#5 RinGz

RinGz

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, girls, music, games, movies, electronics, parties, beer

Posted 07 July 2003 - 07:30 PM

2k is sooo much better than xp. xp has a bunch of bogged down unnecessary stuff, spyware, and is too user friendly. win2k doesn't hide anything from you like winxp does. since your HD is only 8GB, why not back up importatn files to CD-R and format? it's the best solution.

#6 Jse

Jse

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 July 2003 - 08:04 PM

format and install mandrake

#7 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 July 2003 - 08:06 PM

When you boot up with the Win2k cd in, it'll ask you if you want to install 2k over (or, along with) XP, and it gives you the option to reformat the drive and install it clean.

BTW: WinXP is better than Win2K smile.gif

Edited by gainpresence, 07 July 2003 - 08:07 PM.

#8 FUCKMICROSOFT

FUCKMICROSOFT

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 02:45 AM

damn thanks fo' all the help playas! ill try gainpresence what u said first, and then if all doesnt go well, i will reformat. but what i ment by 8 gig hd was this:

right now i have a 60 gig with xp on it and all my files. i want to uninstall xp, and then using an old 8 gig i have ,which is clean(unlocked) and ready for pc use, install win2k os on that with my 60 gig just for apps and 8 gig just for os., but without having to reformat my 60 gig. is this feasible>?

Edited by FUCKMICROSOFT, 08 July 2003 - 02:46 AM.

#9 Jse

Jse

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:00 AM

yeah but you could just bang 2k on the 60gig along with xp and do a duel boot that way it would be easier than haveing two hdd;s with two os's

and fuck windows get linux

or the penguin will kill you

#10 GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:40 AM

Dual boot sucks - only do it if you have apps that will run on one, but not the other. I've got ME (Yuck) / 2k dual boot. I use ME *ONLY* to capture video, b/c my card requires a DMA-friendly HD, which I don't have. It works, howere, in ME.

#11 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:48 AM

2k was great, but unless you are planning on running a corporate server XP is the way to go.

XP is not "bogged down". You can set XP up to look, feel, and perform EXACTLY like 2K. It is not even hard to do. wink.gif

#12 Biznaz

Biznaz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:24 AM

if you're installing 2k to a different drive than the one xp is on, you dont really have to uninstall anything. just boot up with your 8 gig only, put in your 2k cd, install. after thats done, put in your 60 gig along with the 8gig, boot up with 2k, and delete everything in the xp windows dir. then break your xp and 2k cds, download mandrake, wipe harddrive, and enjoy the tux.

#13 Hammy

Hammy

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:37 AM

The only real way is to format and start from scratch. I am glad to see people starting to listen to me about that crap XP as it sux's and since windows 2000 has been around longer it is much better than xp,I just installed XP with service pack 1A on 2 pc's at work and fuck me,I did a live update and bloody still 21 Critical updates so just just goes to show how stuffed this XP is! unsure.gif

#14 FUCKMICROSOFT

FUCKMICROSOFT

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:46 PM

if you're installing 2k to a different drive than the one xp is on, you dont really have to uninstall anything. just boot up with your 8 gig only, put in your 2k cd, install. after thats done, put in your 60 gig along with the 8gig, boot up with 2k, and delete everything in the xp windows dir. then break your xp and 2k cds, download mandrake, wipe harddrive, and enjoy the tux.

ok i understand that, but lets say i want to start up kazaa lite off the 60 gig hd, will it start up with no probs? and that goes for all progs?

#15 RinGz

RinGz

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, girls, music, games, movies, electronics, parties, beer

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:59 PM

I'm tripple booting with Win2K, Linux, and BeOS... just install Win2K on the second HD, and configure ntldr to boot from that by default... that's like I have mine setup. a small HD (like 30GB) for each OS and then a 200GB one for a media/shared drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users