madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

I'm starting up a private beta test for pcsxbox to help iron out a few issues that may have been incurred with my numerous changes to the CUE file reading code, as well as the CDDA audio playback code.

I got all my ducks lined up in a row. I was not able to "split" the cdrom code into old and new like I was hoping. So I will be going with a 4 core version of pcsxbox. So we will have 1.4, 1.5, 1.5 (Reloaded), and 1.6.

1.5 is slightly different from the last officially released madmab edition of the emulator in that it has two new things. It uses the new gte core (does not appear to affect speed drastically) and it has more recent mdec code for games where movies would not play properly or play at all.

1.5 (Reloaded) is the full blown code change with new gte core, mdec playback, and the ability to play a handful of games that all the other cores cannot play as well as a few other game specific fixes (like movies, xa playback, attenuation, etc). Biggest disadvantage is a slight framerate loss (3-5fps?)

1.4, and 1.6 are currently unchanged and operate as they always have before.

Anywho I am now looking for beta testers. The emu has been highly modified to handle "Redump Org" images as well as properly playing most CDDA. However I'm mostly interested in people willing to test "Non Redump" images.. like ".bin/.cue", ".iso", ".ccd", and ".mdf" images. It would also be preferrable if you could upload problem images to the ftp for me.

Since the "cue" reading code has been highly modified to read "Redump Org" images as well as normal ".bin/.cue" files I need to make sure the other oddball formats work as well. Since I did get a few people reporting issues with various images. That is why I really need someone who can send problem images to the ftp.

We already have a top 100+ starter pack in the works. Mostly based on "Redump Org" images so if someone is willing to get involved with that, it would certainly be great.

You all know where to go to sign up and get the goodies. smile.gif And I'll always be around here as well, of course!

See y'all around.

#2 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:softmods, xbox linux,
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

i just recently got back into PSX gaming thanks to your most recent (at this time) madmab emu. as you may know, GTA2 has a few bugs in it, while the game is playable (so far i am playing it with nooo problems at all,) the music never stops. it's not so bad, but if you could iron this out, that would rule.

i am also playing Soul Reaver again this way, and it renders quite well, but gets choppy now and then. if you could enable a way of tweaking the system in a way similar to how the N64 emu works, that might help for select games being choppy. if we had a way to tweak the allocated memory or something; plugin tweaks, limit rendering options for smoother playback, etc.. i dont know, im not this kind of programmer, but i was just going to ask about PSX emu stuff relating to GTA & SR, so i just dumped it in here. pretty neat really, i am back into playing both of these games with both guns blazin, and here is a thread about work on a new release. smile.gif

#3 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(worldwhore3 @ Oct 13 2011, 06:45 AM) View Post

i just recently got back into PSX gaming thanks to your most recent (at this time) madmab emu. as you may know, GTA2 has a few bugs in it, while the game is playable (so far i am playing it with nooo problems at all,) the music never stops. it's not so bad, but if you could iron this out, that would rule.

i am also playing Soul Reaver again this way, and it renders quite well, but gets choppy now and then. if you could enable a way of tweaking the system in a way similar to how the N64 emu works, that might help for select games being choppy. if we had a way to tweak the allocated memory or something; plugin tweaks, limit rendering options for smoother playback, etc.. i dont know, im not this kind of programmer, but i was just going to ask about PSX emu stuff relating to GTA & SR, so i just dumped it in here. pretty neat really, i am back into playing both of these games with both guns blazin, and here is a thread about work on a new release. smile.gif

Yeah I fixed that GTA2 issue with all the CDDA work I did. Although it's been a while since I last checked that game. However I still need to fix up the cue sheet reading code a little since modifying it to read (redump.org) images affects the reading of other cue files.

As far as Soul Reaver goes there is not much that can be done framerate wise other than trying out the different configuration options to see if they help improve the speed. So far the 1.4 core seems to be the best speed wise.

#4 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

well, i'm currently using pcsxbox v1.5/ madmab2.1, and for me, the music in GTA 2 runs continuously. i would love to have this rectified.

i have a question on configuration options, too: when playing a game for the *first* time, you are prompted with a menu to set various options before the game starts. after the game has been started one time, you never see this screen again.

how can i get back to those options?

Edited by worldwhore3, 13 October 2011 - 04:08 PM.

#5 gilles9999

gilles9999

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

simply press "x" (blue button) before launching a game all will be here (its explained in the help screen, by pressing start in the gameselect screen)

#6 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

ok.

#7 cozmo72

cozmo72

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:38 AM

Hey there,

I used the reloaded core (from emuxtras repo) and the games with Cdda issues still had them? Not sure if this is the same reloaded core u have, loaded was one of my fav ones but the music is still choppy, also is it possible to get the first tomb raider and the tekkens working? I remember a guy posting a while back saying he had a wAy to speed up games with slow down. Also I'm not too clued up on quality of isos and bins. Could the ones that Don't really work that most people have access to be poor quality rips? And would it be worth ripping my own copies?

Cheers

i have an image of worms Armageddon that is supposed to work with pcsxbox but doesn't work with any of the cores, want me to upload that? Also if ya need any help with anything just let me know what you need me to do smile.gif

Edited by cozmo72, 14 October 2011 - 01:32 AM.

#8 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(cozmo72 @ Oct 13 2011, 08:38 PM) View Post

Hey there,

I used the reloaded core (from emuxtras repo) and the games with Cdda issues still had them? Not sure if this is the same reloaded core u have

The reloaded core you used was probably the one that netokl released. No CDDA fixes in that one. His release had fixes for various games and made some other games playable.

, loaded was one of my fav ones but the music is still choppy, also is it possible to get the first tomb raider and the tekkens working?

My core has the same changes as netokl's plus more. On mine TR is playable. I'm pretty sure the Tekkens have always worked except for the movies which are fixed in my version.

I remember a guy posting a while back saying he had a wAy to speed up games with slow down.

I'm not sure how well that would work and the guy didnt really give enough detail for me to follow what he was saying. It looked like it involved modifying the source image quite a bit.

Also I'm not too clued up on quality of isos and bins. Could the ones that Don't really work that most people have access to be poor quality rips? And would it be worth ripping my own copies?

This is always possible because it ultimately depends on the knowledge of the person making the iso/bin. Some games have CDDA tracks and if not done properly those tracks can be lost. Which is why I typically recommend the (redump.org) images. I even modified the emu to be able to handle them. Although I have run into a couple (redump.org) images that were incorrect for the most part they do a far better job of producing "accurate" rips.

i have an image of worms Armageddon that is supposed to work with pcsxbox but doesn't work with any of the cores, want me to upload that? Also if ya need any help with anything just let me know what you need me to do smile.gif

Not really sure.. I'd have to see the image. As far as I know worms Armageddon has always worked.

PM sent..

#9 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

i just wanted to add that i started playing castlevania: symphony of the night tonight with pcsxbox v1.5/ madmab2.1, and the cut-scene intro has nooo sound at all. the rest of the game is great, so far, but i wonder if alll cutscenes in the game will be without sound like the first.

#10 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(worldwhore3 @ Oct 15 2011, 06:45 AM) View Post

i just wanted to add that i started playing castlevania: symphony of the night tonight with pcsxbox v1.5/ madmab2.1, and the cut-scene intro has nooo sound at all. the rest of the game is great, so far, but i wonder if alll cutscenes in the game will be without sound like the first.

Never played far enough to get to any other cutscenes in the game (can't remember really honestly). Is this the one that starts of with the spider? Anyways the new mdec code in the beta's fixes this issue.

#11 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

the cutscene in question is the very first cutscene of the game, the intro scene after the player enters his name.

will Road Rash 3D work? that was one of my favorites or the PSX.

#12 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(worldwhore3 @ Oct 15 2011, 09:06 AM) View Post

the cutscene in question is the very first cutscene of the game, the intro scene after the player enters his name.
will Road Rash 3D work? that was one of my favorites or the PSX.

Yes and yes, although I have not had a chance to double check Road Rash 3d just yet. However if it isn't working I'll be sure to try and make sure it works. There are a few games that got lost in the shuffle but I'm going thru and adding back anything that may have gotten lost.

#13 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

road rash 3d support would be great. i also hear that the doom port for PSX didn't run properly back in the day. trust i am by no means making requests, but quite a few would be happy if it were possible to run doom PSX, a lot of retro PSX players would be happy. smile.gif

#14 Master13

Master13

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:36 AM

Well Doom for the psx is playable on the beta so your in luck

#15 Koitsu

Koitsu

X-S X-perience

• Members