• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

So here's my problem:

I have an old big screen that has 2 a/v inputs, composite and s-video. I was using my advanced a/v pack (s-video) for a while but now there's a ton of static and it's black and white. I can get color if I use the composite out on the adapter but there's still static. The strange part is the standard (composite) a/v cable works fine, as well as my Xbox 360 a/v cables.

The problem is I need to have an optical out for my surround sound, and all my adapters with optical out give me static, even if I'm just using composite out on the adapter. Is there any way to fix this or am I stuck with stereo audio?

#2 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:59 PM

i think you need to ground it with a resistor..
It totaly escapes me what you want to ground it too at the moment though. But i know a lot of s-video packs have the issue. (static) not so sure about the black and white though only ever knew that to happen when you used ntsc on a pal tv that did not support ntsc.

so i guess it could be nothing to do with needing to ground the s-video pack..
Although given your saying other av packs are fine the gpu sounds fine too.

having thought about it some more im pretty sure you just solder the resistor to the ground plate of the av pack and the other end to the ground cable that was connected to the ground plate. the resistor is there to eliminate the exessive noise before grounding it.

Edited by shambles1980, 13 October 2011 - 12:14 AM.

#3 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

I should add that I also get the black and white/static when using my vga to s-video adapter for my computer...

#4 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

ok quite possibly the port on the tv then.
if you have a diferent s-video input on it try that..

Edited by shambles1980, 13 October 2011 - 12:19 AM.

#5 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

Only the one s-video port, but like I said even the 2 composite (yellow) ports give me static as well, even though my xbox 360 and xbox standard a/v doesn't. So something is different about the advanced a/v, vga to s-video, and my madcatz high definition adapter.

EDIT: I read over my post and I don't think I explained it that well. The advanced a/v and my hidef adapters both have composite out on them, and I'm getting the static even if I use those, but not on my regular xbox a/v cable. Also, they were working fine for a while so its weird that just out of the blue I would get static.. hope that helps

Edited by jaroc, 16 October 2011 - 12:07 AM.

#6 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

if you dont want to get a new cable or replace the one you have if you can, you may want to consider adding a resistor to the ground in the AV connector that connects to your xbox..

#7 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

the only thing i can think of that explains the interferance would be elcectro static (could be from the tv) And the only way i can think of dissipating that static is to add a resistor to the grounding wire in the av pack..
many of teh av packs only ground directly back to the xbox which generally is fine but sometimes it just isnt quite enough..

possibly the other av pack that works has better grounding.
And its also possible that the xbox its self is the cause of the static, but resistors arent polarized so no matter which way the exessive static is coming from the resistor will dissipate it..

Il go try and take a pic so you know what i mean...

-=EDIT=-

ok i could not find my camera with macro mode so i did the best i could with the one i found.

Its hard to see but that thing theiere is the end that plugs in to the xbox the black thing slides of exposing the wires.
the actual mettal part you see has a collar that grabs on to the cord.. Between the cord and the collar is the grounding wire..

if you move the wire so it is not grounding at the collar any more. Solder a resistor on to it then solder the other end of the resistor to the big mettal bit that should disspiate any statical electricity that could be getting transferd.

here are the images..
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

-=Edit 2=-

here i tried to edit the pic a little. Ignore the fact that i use a green wire as ground wire.. it is actualy just a wire has no plastic coting on it.. its just copper wire..
obviously its easy to get the resistor in the case with the wire. the pictuire is just illustrating what connects to where.
Also ignore the stripes on the resistor they are just depicting what it looks like, not the type to use.

And if you do this be sure the grounding wire dosent touch the metal any where. it has to go to the resistor and the resistor to the mrtal. if the copper wire touches the mettal anywhere then it will find a easier way to ground and just go that way instead of dissipating through the resistor.

IPB Image

Edited by shambles1980, 16 October 2011 - 04:37 AM.

#8 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

I was experiencing some kind of interference on my Xbox today (fuzzy blocks of interference moving up the screen), but it might be different to what the OP is seeing. It had me stumped for a while, but I figured out the source.

In my case, it's happening when I have the Xbox connected to a laptop with the crossover cable, AND laptop plugged into the mains through it's power supply.

When the laptop is running on it's battery, the interference goes away.

Previously, any transferring via the crossover cable was done with a desktop computer, and I hadn't noticed any interference, and the laptop power supply isn't the original, it's a no-name replacement of the correct specifications, but I'm wondering if any laptop power supply would exhibit the same symptoms of interference, or maybe it's because of a lower-quality power supply I'm using? Could it hurt the Xbox?

#9 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

Thanks a lot shambles I'll definitely have to try that this weekend, I'm pretty noob when it comes to resistors and the like so do you have a link to a radioshack part number or something? Or maybe an ebay link?

#10 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2994586

They should work just fine.
75 ohm would be fine too IMO. these are 100 they wont do any harm.

#11 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

So I never did that, but found that if I ran the video output through an old vcr first that the static was eliminated, allowing me to use my advanced a.v pack to get digital output.

HOWEVER, now I'm having problems with the digital output. grr.gif Every few seconds or so the audio just disappears for a couple seconds then comes back... wtf is this I don't even! Doesn't happen with my computer so I know it's not the surround sound.. could it be a setting in XBMC?

Just my luck I finally get digital output on my xbox and now the sound is fucked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users