• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Serendipity

Serendipity

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:00 AM

Non tech newbie here who is getting in over his head, but I have faith that you guys can help me if I falter!

I pieced together the puzzle last week, and this weekend I have started to use my newly acquired Xbox 1, two memory cards, two controllers, DVD accessory, Super Joy Box 11, and the games Riddick, Splinter Cell, and Splinter Cell: Pandora's Tomorrow.

OK, so my first step was to download Action Replay. I then plugged my Super Joy Box into my computer and waited while it downloaded the drivers. So far, no problem. It downloaded the Super Joy Box drivers just fine and I was able to connect a controller to it.

However, when I inserted a memory card into the controller, it said Unknown Device and began searching for additional drivers. It could not find drivers for the memory card, and so my memory card never showed up in Action Replay. Surely this is a rookie error, and I know it doesn't bode well since this is the very first step one takes on one's modding journey -- but I promise I'll get better if you can just help me figure this out.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

Use Xplorer360 beta 6 instead of AR - it doesn't need drivers.

Make sure you use the Krayzie 1.1.1 gamesave when you mod your Xbox, because it's the most newb friendly.

#3 Serendipity

Serendipity

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:47 AM

Thanks for the help! I did what you said to do, and I still get the same message with Xplorer360. It tries to find the drivers for my XBox memory card, and after a while says it can't find them.

Edited by Serendipity, 15 October 2011 - 01:47 AM.

#4 Serendipity

Serendipity

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'll try to explain this more clearly.

I am using a Super Joy Box 11, which allows you to connect 4 XBox controllers to a single USB Hub, and then use the 4 controllers on your computer. Here is the Super Joy Box 11 device...

IPB Image

It is my understanding that I can also transfer files to the memory card from the computer when I have the card inserted into a controller that is connected to my computer via this device. However, when I tried to do this using Action Replay, it didn't recognize my memory card. It could not get the drivers for the memory card for some reason. This is to say, the Super Joy Box 11 worked fine without a memory card inserted. I was able to download the drivers for it from the manufacturers website. However, once I inserted an XBox memory card, I got the "searching for drivers" message once again, and after a few minutes the search game up empty. I then started this thread, and was told to try XPlorer360 beta 6 because "it doesn't need drivers". But I seem to have the same problem with XPlorer 360, as I get this message.....

IPB Image

I'm sure I am doing something stupid, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what.

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Xplorer360 doesn't need drivers, and that error message has nothing to do with drivers, as it says quite clearly. It says it can't find a FATX drive to open - in other words, it can't see your memory card.

You have formatted the memory card in your Xbox and confirmed that it works properly, haven't you?

Edited by Heimdall, 15 October 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#6 Serendipity

Serendipity

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

OK, but I still get this message when I insert the memory card into the XBox controller that is connected to my PC via the Super Joy Box.....

IPB Image

You say that I don't need drivers, so I can just ignore that message? And any idea why Xplorer360 can't find my memory card?? I have checked the cards and wiped them clean, still nothing.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

It's looking for a driver for the memory card. Since AR and Xplorer360 give you the same error, your only option is to try a different memory card.

#8 Serendipity

Serendipity

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

Thank you Heimdall for your help and patience. I am new to the XBox and to Modding in general, but I am very interested in learning and getting this thing working. When I got this XBox last weekend, I naively thought that I would be putting the finishing touches on it after 4-5 hours of work. HA! I've spent around 8 hours so far, and still haven't managed to get my computer to recognize my XBox memory card.

Now, just to confirm. You think that I have a memory card issue, and my problem is not the Super Joy Box 11? I ask because I have read about fasioning a device to connect the controller to the computer instead of buying one like I did. I want to make sure that problem is not the Super Joy Box since its purpose is to use XBox controllers on a PC, and not really to transfer files in the other direction. (I tend to agree with this assessment since it has no problems finding the drivers when I do NOT have the memory cards inserted, but once I insert the cards I get the message whose pic I posted above.)

So if it is indeed a memory card issue, what kind of memory card will I need to purchase? I assume a Microsoft XBox original is best, but is that not what I have here? Or did I unwittingly get cheap imitations with my 2nd hand Xbox?

IPB Image

Thanks again for your patience, I eagerly await your reply!

#9 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

The cards in the picture appear to be xbox MU's.

Try this: Plug one of your MU's into your xbox controller. Then plug the controller into the xbox. Go into the memory section of the dash and look to see if there are any game saves on your xbox hard drive. If so, copy one of them (any one) from your xbox HD to your memory card. Once you have a save copied to the memory unit, unplug the controller from the xbox and plug it back into your PC. Ignore the driver error message on the MU and open Xplorer360. When the program opens, check to see now if you can open your memory card.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Try the XBCD drivers instead, and also have a look at the section at the bottom of that page about using USB View to tweak the config.

#11 Serendipity

Serendipity

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

An update on this story more than a month in. I followed your advice on the XCBC drivers and was eventually able to get them installed and Windows recognized them. However, neither Action Replay nor Xplorer360 could make use of the drivers, and when the memory card was pulled out and reinserted, I got another Windows message saying I needed drivers (strange huh?). After about 30 hours of work on this, I have still not even been able to put any kind of programs or files on an XBox memory card or on an Action Replay card using my PC. I have bought an XBox Action Replay, and 2 different XBox super joy boxes, and none of them work. I must conclude that this is an issue with Windows VISTA. I have read work-arounds for people using VISTA, but none of them have worked for me. I am giving up, until I can get hold of a cheap second hand computer with Windows XP. Thank you all for your help and patience, I will get back with you when I have my new used computer!

My roommate has also mentioned the possibility of downloading a program to run XP virtually? Has anyone heard of this and know if it would work? I'm not really sure if I am understanding him well because he was telling me in Spanish, but it sounds like an Open Source program that turns a VISTA run computer into a virtual XP machine? Anyone, anyone?

Edited by Serendipity, 21 November 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:25 AM

I suspect that the problem is the Super Joy Box 11 rather than the O/S, because Xplorer360 beta 6 works fine on Vista.

There are lots of ways to run XP in a VM under Vista - my personal favourite is to use VMWare Player - but as I said I don't think it will help, and I'm not entirely certain that any of the FATX USB tools will work on a virtualised USB port.

If you have an Action Replay adapter and a memory card, try removing the AR drivers, and using Xplorer360 beta 6 with the AR adapter. I have an AR clone adapter, and Xplorer360 beta 6 works fine with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users