19 replies to this topic

#1 DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

Okay, so...I know a fair bit about the software side of modded Xboxes, but quite little about the hardware side. All three of my boxes were TSOPed before they were sold to me.

Now, I've got a 500GB drive in one of them. I know I have to format it with 32kb clusters or allocate some space to a G drive. But here's where I run into some problems. Upon starting up XBPartitioner, it tells me "LBA48 info not found! Custom Partitions will not work with this BIOS!" Now, as I mentioned, I know very little about the TSOP process or how to even update my BIOS. What can I do to get this Box working with XBPartitioner? It's really bugging me that I can only use about half the drive right now.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

Flash a new BIOS with Evox. Which one depends on which Xbox version you have. For a 1.0/1.1 use X2.5035, for a 1.2-1.5 use iND-BIOS.5003, Evox M8+ or X2.4981.

If you don't want to flash manually, use HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc). HeXEn will also build the new hard drive for you.

#3 DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 26 2011, 08:21 AM) View Post

Flash a new BIOS with Evox. Which one depends on which Xbox version you have. For a 1.0/1.1 use X2.5035, for a 1.2-1.5 use iND-BIOS.5003, Evox M8+ or X2.4981.

If you don't want to flash manually, use HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc). HeXEn will also build the new hard drive for you.

I've either got a 1.2 or 1.3, so I grabbed iND-BIOS.5003. Just to verify: all I need to do is go into EvoX, tell it to flash the BIOS, and that's all? No other steps or procedures? Also, the iND-BIOS package came with two sets of files, .06 and .67. Do I need both of these, or just one? Sorry for the dumb questions, I just wanna be absolutely sure so I don't brick my Box.

Also, I tried HeXen, but upon booting it just gives me an error 14 for some reason.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

Did you burn HeXEn to DVD-R at 4x or slower? Did the LED turn red before the error 14?

You can use either of the BIOSes. Since you are going to use XBPartitioner 1.1 to format your new drive it will write a partition table to the disk, and the BIOS will use that and not its default 06/67 setting.

Put the BIOS in the BIOS directory inside your Evox directory, make sure that you have a menu entry for flashing in your evox.ini, and select it from the menu. Make sure you put ind-bios.cfg in the root of your C partition before you flash.

#5 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

I've never had any luck with x2 4981 - it says custom partitions not supported. Ind is okay, but the back and black bug (reset) is enough to make M8 the best bios to use IMO.

#6 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Movax @ Oct 28 2011, 09:28 AM) View Post

I've never had any luck with x2 4981 - it says custom partitions not supported. Ind is okay, but the back and black bug (reset) is enough to make M8 the best bios to use IMO.

back and black? Thats off, if I remember correctly. Thats a feature not a bug. The reset thing is LT+RT+back+black.

Edited by steveo1978, 28 October 2011 - 04:56 PM.

#7 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

Try it - Left and right triggers aren't required - it's a bug, and it makes accessing the in game menu in coinop impossible.

EDIT: back and black is reset, back and white I think is supposed to be off, I think - but triggers aren't required for either.

Edited by Movax, 28 October 2011 - 06:54 PM.

#8 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

you might be right I do not have an xbox to try it on so I do not know for sure. I always used the triggers and the other buttons for reset so I am not sure about not needing to press the triggers. See if these combos do what they are supposed to.

--Reset to Game/Reset to Dash (Triggers + Black + Back) OR (Triggers + Back + Start)
--Shutdown (Triggers + Back + White)
--Tray Eject (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad UP)
--Tray Close (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad DOWN)
--Power Cycle (Triggers + Back + X + Black) [hint: hit X before black]

http://xbins.org/nfo...xboxnfo1110.nfo

#9 DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

I started flashing iND-BIOS.5003.06 via EvoX, exactly how long is this supposed to take? It's been sitting there for quite a while now just saying "erasing." In fact, it sat there for so long doing nothing that the screen went dim.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:42 AM

It should take a few seconds. Are you sure your Xbox isn't a 1.4 with a Winbond chip?

#11 DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 28 2011, 03:42 PM) View Post

It should take a few seconds. Are you sure your Xbox isn't a 1.4 with a Winbond chip?

Holy crap, I'm retarded. I didn't read well enough when I was starting it up through EvoX--it does indeed have a Winbond chip. The guy who sold this Box to me told me it was TSOPed, not chipped. Damn it, is it all over? sad.gif

#12 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE(DJ_Yuz @ Oct 28 2011, 08:48 PM) View Post

Holy crap, I'm retarded. I didn't read well enough when I was starting it up through EvoX--it does indeed have a Winbond chip. The guy who sold this Box to me told me it was TSOPed, not chipped. Damn it, is it all over? sad.gif

Nope winbond needs to be erased in a special way, so you should be ok. Get Heimdalls Hexen disk and you will be fine. It most likely is TSOP flashed casue most chips would have flashed using Evox

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:29 AM

You are confused, and reaching illogical conclusions. Winbond IS a TSOP chip, not an external chip, but that's unrelated to whether or not you can flash it.

You have to flash a Winbond chip with a Raincoat flasher. You can get one from the usual places bundled with a gamesave (that you can run from your file manager), or you can use Eurasia, or there's one on HeXEn that will flash a Winbond chip for you. The HeXEn one is easiest to use.

.....and please stop quoting immediately preceding posts - it's completely unnecessary. smile.gif

#14 DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:18 AM

Whew, restarted and everything's okay, thanks guys. Heimdall, I did try burning HeXen at 4x, with disc verification--twice, in fact. I'm not sure why I'm getting Error 14, but...I still am, with both copies.

Re: quoting preceding posts, sorry about that. I typically bum around forums where you're expected to do so.

EDIT: Third time burning it was the charm, was able to boot it up. When I start it up, everything seems fine, but eventually it gives me "Batch process failed. The last item was: Action: E:\Delete Me\Resctoox\default.xbe."

Ideas?

Edited by DJ_Yuz, 29 October 2011 - 05:03 AM.

#15 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

Are you using DVD-R? If you are then it's possible that your DVD drive just doesn't like reading burned discs - the Xbox DVD drives were always poor quality, and there's a good chance that your drive will have got worse over time. If that's the case then your only option to get the disc to read is to swap the drive with one from another Xbox.

Another option is to FTP the flashing files to your Xbox and run them from your file manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users