Photo

Advantages Of Tsop Flash Over Hotswap Softmod?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SquirlKiller

SquirlKiller

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:40 AM

I recently got an xbox and was wondering, should i tsop flash or or softmod it? which is better?

#2 JohnnyHunng

JohnnyHunng

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:17 AM

TSOP is "better" if an easier upgrade to a larger hard drive is important to you.

Some things you should consider when deciding between the two are:

1. What version your xbox is and what bios you want to use (since different xbox versions have different size tsop flash sizes, 1.0 and 1.1 xboxes have 1mb TSOPs...1.2-1.5 have 256k and there isnt a TSOP to flash to on a 1.6)

2. Are your soldering skills up to the task of unlocking the TSOP write points, no reason to ruin an xbox that you can softmod.

#3 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:00 AM

another thing to consider is you still have to softmod before you can flash the TSOP (either by gamesave exploit or hotswap)

TSOP does make it easier to upgrade the HDD and recover from some errors, but isnt without risks of its own (really no more so than a softmod however)

#4 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

Actually being able to solder is not a requirement for flashing the TSOP. There are ways around the soldering. One method I had used alot was using Rear Window Defogger paint (can be purchased at auto part stores) to bridge the points I even used it to do a temp fix on an xbox PSU so I know it holds up.

#5 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

I also use conductive paint, you can buy just conductve silver paint and a 4/0 paintbrush for less than 10 And you can do hundreds of tsops with that.
Just clean the board around the tsop ponts 1st.. and you shouldnt be shy with the paint but add it a little bit at a time.
i can do the tsop points in a couple of mins with conductive paint.. 1.0/1.1 And 1.2-1.5 is much faster.

I didnt see much point in doing a tsop for a while till i tried it. But it does make things easier. I much prefer to soft mod 1st then tsop asd i can use hexen disk to flash for me which makes it really easy.
if you are going to be soldering The soldering skills needed for a tsop arent that high but you do need a small tip and some flux. The actual time spent on soldering the points is a little bit longer than painting them, but most of that is wating for the solder to heat up. also you dont want a crasy powerfull soldering iron and its best to get one thats got a grounded tip. so generaly its probably safer to use conductive paint/ink or winodw deforger fixing kit (also conductive ink/paint but generaly more expensive than just the paint alone.

the 2 most importaint things i would remember about tsoping is..

1. Check what tsop you have..
winbond needs a diferent erase method,
Sharp on earlier boards has to have a wire solderd in place
all others are easy to do thanx to hexen expanding the 256k bios if the chip is bigger.

2. if you suspect the hard disk in the xbox is really close to being dead, Its better to change the hard disk 1st even if it means using xboxhdm..
the only bad tsop flash i ever had was on a xbox with a 90% dead hard disk. I decided to risk it and the flashing stoped at about 85% and just stayed there "after erasing" I can only blame that on the hard disk where the bios file was, So its better safe than sorry.

Edited by shambles1980, 29 October 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#6 JohnnyHunng

JohnnyHunng

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

Things sure have changed a lot since i used to frequent this forum, that HeXen disc is pretty nice, 1 disc to flash any kind of tsop and does a million other things....good job Heimdall.

Sup lordvader!

#7 Pat0514

Pat0514

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

i know this thread is a tad old but i figured id post my two cents... there is an aerogel capacitor on 1.0-1.5 xboxes that (almost always) leaks highly corrosive shit all over your board, eventually causing problems and/or killing your xbox completely. some bios'es that you can tsop flash (all the newest ones) allow you to boot without this cap on your motherboard (has something to do with the clock and it needing to be set with an og bios). i like to tsop flash my boxes just so i can desolder that p.o.s. and clean up all the corrosive stuff, greatly reducing chances of sudden death.

read this: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=576864

note:i read in the topic i linked to ^ a few games need the clock to be set, you should figure out which ones before you take this route

#8 HunterZ0

HunterZ0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE(Pat0514 @ Mar 9 2012, 08:24 AM) View Post

i know this thread is a tad old but i figured id post my two cents... there is an aerogel capacitor on 1.0-1.5 xboxes that (almost always) leaks highly corrosive shit all over your board, eventually causing problems and/or killing your xbox completely. some bios'es that you can tsop flash (all the newest ones) allow you to boot without this cap on your motherboard (has something to do with the clock and it needing to be set with an og bios). i like to tsop flash my boxes just so i can desolder that p.o.s. and clean up all the corrosive stuff, greatly reducing chances of sudden death.

read this: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=576864

note:i read in the topic i linked to ^ a few games need the clock to be set, you should figure out which ones before you take this route

Is it required that I TSOP flash before removing the capacitor?

I have an Xbox 1.0 that is hotswap-modded with Ndure+xboxhdm followed by HeXEn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users