Photo

X360 Key Custom Case Mod ( Needs Project Name )

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

New Project in progress, wanting to plan this out properly before i get ahead on myself. Thats definatly my biggest problem with modding anything, if im not happy with it, i lose interest and the project slowly fades away.

Suggestions on a name would be appreciated, havent came up with anything just yet.

This project is based on the Lian Li PC - Q08B and a Slim Xbox 360 with an X360 Key.

The Xbox will be placed inside the Lian Li case, some extra storage will be placed inisde the case, a 1 TB hard drive, to keep leagal back ups of my games, i do not encourage piracy, i have a large collection on games and like to keep my investment of games safe. I own all the games i store back ups of.

The games will be played through the X360 Key, its a relatively new product. Thanks to Mod Chips Direct, have a look at there site Mod Chips Direct. Sponser of this project.

The case is pretty much exactly the same height as the original Xbox Slim case. Just wider, I dont want to go bigger, want to be able to keep it on the tv cabinet. IT is a fair bit wider then the Xbox Slim but for everything it can do im not to worried about the width of the case.

IPB Image

Edited by ozzylow, 08 November 2011 - 11:37 AM.

#2 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

Finally got the case in, ordered it from the local PC shop and came in pretty quickly, went with the Lian Li PC - Q08B case, small enough, but plenty of room to ventilate the case properly and keep it cool.

Got it home and opened it straight away, alot of the internal stuff can come out, took the sides off the case and this is what was left.

IPB Image

15 Minutes later had it stripped down, pretty easy to take apart, im not the best with computers, never done PC case mods, but they seem easy enough to work with.

IPB Image

Disc Drive in place, will have this painted black to match the case, dont want it standing out to much

IPB Image

Xbox Slim stripped down, ill mount it just like a PC motherboard, will take off the metal case, will look alot better mounted like a normal PC.

IPB Image

This is the way im thinking of mounting the motherboard.

IPB Image

Edited by ozzylow, 08 November 2011 - 12:17 PM.

#3 Technitian3

Technitian3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:alchemy, metallurgy, philosophy
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

Nice case. I have a XB-01 case for my water-cooled falcon and I love the quality, tho I find the metal case interferes with the controller connection from time to time and really cuts down on the controller range (10' max). Are you going to use the OE hdd caddy and receptacle? 'cuz it would be sweet to be able to re-and-re the hdd without cracking the case.

#4 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

Looking to mount the back something like this, not sure what exactly what i will do. Ill get something designed and get it cut out ( laser cut ) maybe. Still working on ideas, i want it to look neat and not a hacked job.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#5 pperez664

pperez664

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:exposing the New World Order/illuminati
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Nice. Looking foward to seeing the finished product. pop.gif

#6 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

Memory Card went missing, still trying to find it, just an update on what else i have been doing and ordering.

Just placed an order with MDPC ( Million Dollar PC ) for some White Cable Sleeve and matching White Heatshrink, this is the best stuff out there, definatly worth the money and shipping time.

IPB Image

Just finding the right place to order my fans from, looking for black frame with white fan blades, going to keep with a black and white theme inside the case.

IPB Image

I was looking to maybe watercool the Xbox 360, but still not to sure just yet, deciding if i am wanting to spend the money on it, i would be using the XSPC Waterblock for the Slim Xbox. Just working out final prices, its something i could always add into the project later on.

IPB Image

IPB Image

#7 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

Got my delivery from Million Dollar PC

IPB Image

White Cable Sleeving and White HeatShrink

IPB Image

Mounting the Xbox 360 Motherboard in the orignal tray, trimmed it down to fit better.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Space wise, im going to have to solder the Wireless Adapter to be able to fit it in better, the whole case wont work unless this is out of the way. 6 Wires and a Ground.

IPB Image

#8 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

I like how it looks so far, what did you use to trim the 360 chassis down? Looks really clean. Only thing I don't like is the x360key, are you even able to store the games on a sata hdd? I thought it was only usb compatible... either way though, I really think you should just get the board glitched, you'll be able to achieve the same thing + more.

Looks like you're gonna have a ton of extra space on the other side too, can I sway you to put an Xbox1 in there for XBMC biggrin.gif

#9 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

I used an Grinder to cut down the Motherboard Tray, spent my time with it so i had a perfect finish. Sits right on the edges of the Xbox 360. Not sure about the XKey, dont want to end up with a banned Xbox.

With the extra space, thats where the Water Cooling Parts will go hopefully.

Worked on the Motherboard Tray today, light sand and coated it with primer and then painted with some textured Black Paint.

IPB Image

Took the Disc Drive apart and the Holder and prepped for paint and went with a Matte Black Finish

IPB Image

Sleeved the top fan also, sticking to a Black and White theme through the case, but the Green Motherboard might look a bit out of place, any suggestions ?

Need a name for this project / case also feel free to give me some suggestions.

IPB Image

IPB Image

#10 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:41 AM

Great job on the case swap! I can't wait to see it watercooled. With the 1TB drive inside, its going to be quite the media center. I'll be keeping up with great anticipation of its completion. smile.gif

Names- MaxMedia360 / K3yMaker / Pandora's Xbox. Names that extol it's ability to eat entire game libraries are what comes to mind. A 1TB drive could hold over 130 games give or take.

#11 Xandrel

Xandrel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

I checked out that MDPC website and think the cable sleeve is amazing. How would you rate the quality? Im ready to order a bunch. I really like your project. Are you going to be modding the back of the case so that all the exterior ports are still showing? I noticed that whichever way you mount it (mobo on top of case or mobo on bottom) that some ports are blocked by the case itself?

#12 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(Xandrel @ Nov 28 2011, 07:51 PM) View Post

I checked out that MDPC website and think the cable sleeve is amazing. How would you rate the quality? Im ready to order a bunch. I really like your project. Are you going to be modding the back of the case so that all the exterior ports are still showing? I noticed that whichever way you mount it (mobo on top of case or mobo on bottom) that some ports are blocked by the case itself?

Best you can buy, quality is real good. All the PC Modders use this. Yes i will be modding the back, ill get a new panel made up and laser cut out the proper designs for the HDMI, Ethernet, USB and all that.

Looking to get a replacement side for the case, then cut that, i want to have some finish and color.

#13 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

Introducing my first sponser for this case. Helping out towards the case with a 545LC Performance Liquid CPU Cooler.

IPB Image

IPB Image

#14 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

I have been a bit slow on updates recently, just waiting on parts to come through so i can finish and design other parts.

Fractal Design

Thanks to Fractal Design for the sponser, helping me out with some fans, 120mm and 140mm fans.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Fans will look nice in the case, definatly better then the stock fans that came with the Lian Li.

IPB Image

#15 DiamondCut

DiamondCut

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

How do you plan on extending the power/sata cables for the dvd drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users