• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thepitt

thepitt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

I have known about the Resurrection Xtra's for some time now and finally took the plunge and downloaded three different sets (SNES, NES, GBA/GBX). When I go to browse the VGMAPS or GUIDES most of the image files do not load.

So I tried making my own maps for Zelda DX and I had to reduce the sizes so I figured it was a size restraint issue and/or memory issue. I then tried to make Zelda GBA maps and they refused to load. I renamed the GBA ZIP to Zelda DX and they loaded under that game.

So I am assuming it is some sort of memory issue. The odd thing is one would assume this would be taken into consideration while creating the Xtras as they are about as useful as temporary internet explorer junk files.

Is there something I can do to free up some RAM? I tried switching from 720p to 480p/i with no luck.

Is there an easy fix?

If not how do I figure out how much free space I have for each map per game based on it's size/memory usage as I'll make my own for the few games I do enjoy playing time to time.

Assistance will be appreciated.

#2 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned more often, but this is a known problem.

When I was working on the MSX Xtras (get that too while your at it tongue.gif ), I also had problems with VGMaps not loading. What I had to todo, was first cut them up into pieces, say, by level or stage or area. Even then, some would not load, so some pieces had to be reduced in size. Really though, it was trial and error.

As for the VGMaps in the other xtras, this I would say was down to time constraints at the time, as the author (who's no longer with us tongue.gif ), was wrapping things up and moving on (or so we thought jester.gif )

Edited by bigby, 14 November 2011 - 06:26 AM.

#3 thepitt

thepitt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

The Xtras idea is great and the videos work, but the game guides and maps are poorly put together. Most of them are quickly thrown together with google search found images which half won't load because they do not fit the unspecified requirements which in my opinion ruins the entire sets.

The total game guides and vgmaps needs to be redone for most systems. Per say the SNES can handle 1000x1000 (8-bit) 256 color PNG images while the GBA can handle 725x525 (8-bit) 256 color PNG. The GB/GBC can handle much larger along with the NES. I'm still "testing" resolutions for those systems. You will find 2000x3000 res images for the SNES. These people didn't even test what they were compiling!!!

I also think real maps needs legends and real guides needs symbols, markings, etc... Most of the google found images don't have these. Solution? Play the game, take notes and draw up a real map and then make sure it actually loads. No map? Use a PC emulator and press PRT SCR and CTRL+V a lot into your graphics editor. Who even tested these things?

Now, I'm not volunteering. I only play my favorite classics and for those I am willing to put in time to make some proper content THAT WORKS.

When I find out more max specs for images for other emulators I'll reply with them. Until then it's back to testing...

#4 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:25 AM

The Maps and Manuals would work great on the XBox 360, and many of these had been ripped by Wimpy from sites who were doing the work well after the 360 had come out. Hence....... problems displaying properly on the XBox are inevitable with the memory and CPU constraints. I did try to iron out some of this work in the end before I left by resizing images and assigning the resizing project to others, but all in all these map and manual additions were a complete afterthought, and something I really couldn't spend too much time on since my time here was numbered when it was made available to us by Wimpy.

Believe it or not, Madmab made some serious strides in this aspect before I left. At first, most maps and manuals couldn't be viewed at, or froze the Xbox upon viewing, or they all or were so huge it was such an effort to shrink it to your screen for every page that you would never use it. He made some awesome progress, but it really was a part of the project largely in its infancy before I left.

Madmab has had so much to work on for so many years and balancing that with family life and the rest of the real world that it might take a while for him to get to it.

From what I've heard, he's gotten to some other things I wished for years ago since I've been gone though, so there may still be hope if he continues to stick around to make it possible.

Good luck to you. I hope it gets done. I think you might have to wait until the 360 is an afterthought for M$ though and we can hack the F out of it like they allow us to do on the Box1 now. smile.gif

#5 thepitt

thepitt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

Aye, the XBOX 360 ... Didn't know they worked with the emulators, but too bad it's such a pain to mod and well not really worth it. I dislike the system, games and it's online community (I'm a picky gamer). I agree if it gets the F hacked out of it then well it would be more simple for a non-hardware tinkering expert to utilize. It does explain a lot, but all I see on the net are XBOX1 packs that DON'T WORK. Sorry, but that's the truth of it. Thanks for the explanation. Any chance you have some tech docs on the specs for the XBOX1? Thanks!

#6 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:39 AM

I can't say from experience that any emus work on the 360 now myself. If they do, I'm sure they're nowhere near as refined as the ones on the XBox are today.

I came very late to the XBox scene and there were so many good tools to use already. I'm sure I've taken a lot for granted myself since so much had already been done since I came around. I'm always 5 years behind at least. I figure I get a 5th gen system with all the bugs worked out, and I get to spend 15-20 bucks on the greatest hits instead of paying 60-70 bucks a game that way.

I don't have any specs to share. Sorry. All I can say is that if there are any problems with any Manuals, Maps or other Xtras, it's almost certainly because they're too big to display on the original XBox with the memory/cpu constraints and that the XBox 360 is just so much more advanced that if we had the same emulator capabilities as we do on the original now that this post wouldn't even be relevant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users