#1 InsanePyro

InsanePyro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

I recently picked up a Xbox1 from Goodwill for $20. Seems pretty good eh? Turns out the disc drive won't read anything. My question is can I flash any disc drive with new firmware and use it or do I have to hunt down a certain model? The current (dead) drive is a Phillips VAD6035/21 Part # X00624-005

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

You need an Xbox-1 DVD drive. Any make will do - they are interchangeable.

#3 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

I have an Xbox 1 drive if you want, alternatively you could flash the bios and make it so that it works without a dvd drive, then you could put a pc dvd drive in, just power it using a molex splitter. Of course, you won't be able to read xbox discs this way but it'll still play movies, music, etc.

#4 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Just to add some more confuzion to the post.
There are pc drives you can flash to work as xbox drives. "very specific drives" and they will also work with xbox original games.
and then theres an addon to a diferent make of pc dvd drive (also prety specific) that will also make it work like a xbox dvd drive (so it can play original xbox games)

And you dont have to flash a xbox to use a standard dvd player from a pc, but then you have to have the xbox dvd player still connected to the yellow cable, and a Y splitter from the hard disk and the ide from the xbox dvd player connects to the pc dvd drive.
this however cannot play original xbox disks, So its prety useless unless you softmod your xbox Which can be done without a dvd drive.

Hopefully you are plenty confuzed by now. but you also have all the details relating to xbox dvd drives thanx to the individual posts in this thread.

p.s
Easiest thing is to get a xbox dvd player from a diferent xbox, if you can find ones with error 5/6/7 they usualy have a bad hard disk and if they have not been opend the dvd drive 80% of the time is fine. and for some crazy reason they will cost less than a xbox dvd player.. "go figure"

#5 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

You would need to flash it if you didn't want to have an xbox dvd drive AND a pc drive, just the pc drive. Say if you were building a media center box and didn't care about playing games, you just wanted a drive that would read all types of media.

#6 HiTMaN-239

HiTMaN-239

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(jaroc @ Nov 17 2011, 05:45 PM) View Post

You would need to flash it if you didn't want to have an xbox dvd drive AND a pc drive, just the pc drive. Say if you were building a media center box and didn't care about playing games, you just wanted a drive that would read all types of media.

LG 8163B, lol, man I remember looking for those like mad when this hack came out! good times.

#7 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

I have like 4 of those, unmodded.. I modded one, they work really well.

#8 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(HiTMaN-239 @ Nov 24 2011, 09:50 AM) View Post

LG 8163B, lol, man I remember looking for those like mad when this hack came out! good times.
Out of the three (LG 8163, LG 8164, and the Samsung SDG-616T) different PC drives I've tried in an xbox, the 8163 is the best as far as Disc type versatility and overall performance, IMO.

I just wish they were still easy to find, LOL

Edited by xboxmods2977, 24 November 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#9 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Nov 24 2011, 11:38 PM) View Post

Out of the three (LG 8163, LG 8164, and the Samsung SDG-616T) different PC drives I've tried in an xbox, the 8163 is the best as far as Disc type versatility and overall performance, IMO.

I just wish they were still easy to find, LOL

i have a SDG-616T
it works but needed major hackery of the front panel of the xbox for it to fit.

#10 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

Yea, I've got one of the 616T Samsung drives modded for an xbox. Kinda pissed off with that drive right now tho.

Everyone I talked to about it said "Yea get one of those! They are the best PC drive for the xbox! and blah, blah" and so when I finally got hold of one of those (for free), I was so excited. I spent hours doing the electrical work. I made the wires inside all clean and nice, took the LED out but ran wires from there to the DA pins on the back of the drive so I could plug in an external DVD LED, did the physical drive modifications to get it to fit perfect, got the bezel to fit perfect, my gaps on top and bottom of the tray were perfect and it just looked awesome. Put it in, threw the Xbox together, powered it up, and what do you know? It wouldn't read 90% of the DVD+R's I have. It reads DVD-Rs/CD-Rs/Retail discs awesome, but only about 25% of my games are burned on DVD-R, so I threw the drive in a shoe box and into the closet, where it sits.

Needless to say, I was pretty livid. Still am.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 28 November 2011 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users