Photo

Is There A New List Of Usb Flash Drives That Work?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ZippoYaris

ZippoYaris

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

I am trying to softmod my Xbox. I have the USB port installed on the Xbox but now I need a USB stick for the softmod. I tried my old 512MB Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 and it doesn't work. I also tried a newer pair of 8GB Dane Elec sticks...one just had green light flash and the other popped up on the Xbox as device not recognized and could be damaged.

So my question is what USB stick should I buy and where? I don't want to try 8000 different ones and spend a fortune on a collection of useless USB sticks..lol.

I hope my question is in the correct area of the forum...if not can someone tell me where to post?

Thanks. I am brand new to this site and Xbox modding. It is becoming a new addiction. Hehehe.

Edited by ZippoYaris, 17 November 2011 - 09:03 PM.

#2 ZippoYaris

ZippoYaris

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

My Xbox is a version 1.6 if that makes any difference. I am just frustrated about the USB memory stick. I live in a tiny town and finding anything useful is very tough.

#3 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:33 AM

You're better off hotswapping your drive and use ndure for xboxhdm, much easier

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:20 AM

Your 8GB USB sticks will never work - the Xbox only supports USB sticks 4GB or smaller.

There's a recent thread over on XBMC4Xbox discussing compatible USB sticks.

#5 ZippoYaris

ZippoYaris

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE(jaroc @ Nov 17 2011, 06:33 PM) View Post

You're better off hotswapping your drive and use ndure for xboxhdm, much easier

For a newbie here I don't feel like hotswapping....that just sounds like a death waiting to happen with my Xbox.lol

How is hotswapping easier? I already added the USB port to my Xbox so I figured the Memory stick would work best along with Splinter Cell. Like I said I am new to it all and looked at many options. To me seeing the videos using Splinter Cell seems way easier than hot swapping a HDD.

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Nov 17 2011, 07:20 PM) View Post

Your 8GB USB sticks will never work - the Xbox only supports USB sticks 4GB or smaller.

There's a recent thread over on XBMC4Xbox discussing compatible USB sticks.

Heimdall thanks for the info, I kinda figured the 8GB were never going to work. I just have to find a small one now. I have a Kingston that doesn't work so the list will be helpful. I will check the other thread.

Thanks for the help, this place is great! smile.gif

Edited by ZippoYaris, 18 November 2011 - 06:28 AM.

#6 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

There are a host of threads here about USB memory sticks' Xbox compatibility, many of which I've contributed too. I've tested 10 different USB sticks over the last 2 or 3 years but most were/are old or unbranded v.1.0 or V.1.1 types you won't find any more,. None, working or not, appeared on that wiki list mentioned.

The ways USB drives react to the Xbox is incredibly varied. Any recommendation you're given treat with a degree of caution. Expect failure and then you won't be so disappointed and, of course, you may be lucky. If you find one that works look after it - it is your precious smile.gif

Consequently I've come to this conclusion: if you want to use this method rather than following jaroc's alternative suggestion you're best off finding an original official 8MB memory card. It is guaranteed to work and the game exploit/installer will just fit on it.

You'll also need to find a PC USB to Xbox controller adapter. Make sure it is for the original Xbox, many on eBay are misleadiingly listed as XBox when they're actually incompatible XB360 ones.

#7 ZippoYaris

ZippoYaris

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Nov 18 2011, 05:29 AM) View Post

There are a host of threads here about USB memory sticks' Xbox compatibility, many of which I've contributed too. I've tested 10 different USB sticks over the last 2 or 3 years but most were/are old or unbranded v.1.0 or V.1.1 types you won't find any more,. None, working or not, appeared on that wiki list mentioned.

The ways USB drives react to the Xbox is incredibly varied. Any recommendation you're given treat with a degree of caution. Expect failure and then you won't be so disappointed and, of course, you may be lucky. If you find one that works look after it - it is your precious smile.gif

Consequently I've come to this conclusion: if you want to use this method rather than following jaroc's alternative suggestion you're best off finding an original official 8MB memory card. It is guaranteed to work and the game exploit/installer will just fit on it.

You'll also need to find a PC USB to Xbox controller adapter. Make sure it is for the original Xbox, many on eBay are misleadiingly listed as XBox when they're actually incompatible XB360 ones.

Thanks fallenangle! Yeah I have been looking for the Xbox 8MB card with not much luck. That is why I figured I would try and find a USB memory stick/card. I already modded my Xbox with a USB port so I guess I wouldn't need the PC USB to Xbox adapter?

I am buying a USB 12-in-1 card reader from ebay....It will read the old SD cards. I will try it and see if my old 16MB SD card from my Canon Camera will work with the reader and Xbox. I have no idea but in the end I will have a USB card reader and I can have my collection of old SD cards for storage fun..lol.

If all else fails I might try a hotswap. I just feel with my luck I will ruin a perfectly working oldschool Xbox. smile.gif I love playing Mercenaries and GTA: San Andreas and some others. I am also getting Splinter Cell so who knows what will happen.

Thanks again for all the info, it is much appreciated.

#8 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

The PC USB to Xbox controller adapter I mentioned is so you can connect the Xbox memory card to your computer. For obvious reasons you need to do this to get the game exploit/installer from the computer onto the memory card and then back to the Xbox.

It's exactly the same as for a USB flash drive or other USB memory device except, of course, these instead need to be adapted that so they can be attached to Xbox.

You can do this in several ways; you've gone to the trouble of building in a USB port, that's one way. But you could just as well have gone to eBay and found a Xbox controller port to USB (Female) adapter cable to do the same job (5/$8).

Good luck find a working USB device.

#9 ZippoYaris

ZippoYaris

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Nov 18 2011, 02:56 PM) View Post

You can do this in several ways; you've gone to the trouble of building in a USB port, that's one way. But you could just as well have gone to eBay and found a Xbox controller port to USB (Female) adapter cable to do the same job (5/$8).

Good luck find a working USB device.

Yes I wish I would have looked at more websites before adding my own USB port. It was free to do so I cut and spliced it into my number 4 controller port. I think I will buy a cable also...just for fun. I know they are cheap on ebay now.

Yes next step is USB memory..I am thinking of an SD card reader and using an old 16MB SD card I have. I am getting a 12-in-1 USB card reader from eBay. We will see if it works.

New hobby for me and big learning curve too.

#10 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(ZippoYaris @ Nov 18 2011, 12:00 AM) View Post

How is hotswapping easier?

1. Make Xboxhdm disc/bootable usb/floppy with ndure customized to your kernel version (found in system info tab on xbox)
2. Boot the media on your pc
3. When you get to the splash screen turn on your xbox
4. When the word microsoft appears pull out your ide cable and plug it in your pc.
5. Follow the on screen instructions on your computer and it installs the softmod for you.

Seems a lot easier than buying/returning a bunch of flash drives. You can find xboxhdm on xbins.

QUOTE(ZippoYaris @ Nov 18 2011, 03:44 PM) View Post

Thanks fallenangle! Yeah I have been looking for the Xbox 8MB card with not much luck. That is why I figured I would try and find a USB memory stick/card. I already modded my Xbox with a USB port so I guess I wouldn't need the PC USB to Xbox adapter?

http://www.ebay.ca/s...d=p3286.c0.m282

Took me 2 seconds to find that You still need a usb to controller adapter to transfer the save from your pc so if you're determined to go that route, this is the way to do it.

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

@jaroc: Only if he has a PC with two IDE ports on the motherboard smile.gif . With only one IDE port then he has to use xboxhdm 2.2 which runs from USB (or read one of Shambles1980's posts where he has found a way to make xboxhdm 1.9 work on his PC with one IDE port).

@ZippoYaris: Has anything worked in your USB port? It's always possible that you might have accidentally crossed the wires. Buying an adapter from eBay will eliminate that problem - although you'll still have the issue around finding a compatible USB drive. As an alternative, you could always try buying a kit. Even a PAL one would be useful - the copy of Splinter Cell would be no good to you, and you'd need to replace the gamesave with an NTSC one, but the adapter and the USB stick would be known to work.

#12 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

I will make a vid of using 1 ide port,
I had not even notice it was an issue lol.. I just set it up and went. No idea it was a problem biggrin.gif

Edited by shambles1980, 20 November 2011 - 01:02 AM.

#13 ZippoYaris

ZippoYaris

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Nov 19 2011, 07:05 AM) View Post

@ZippoYaris: Has anything worked in your USB port? It's always possible that you might have accidentally crossed the wires. Buying an adapter from eBay will eliminate that problem - although you'll still have the issue around finding a compatible USB drive. As an alternative, you could always try buying a kit. Even a PAL one would be useful - the copy of Splinter Cell would be no good to you, and you'd need to replace the gamesave with an NTSC one, but the adapter and the USB stick would be known to work.

I am still waiting for my eBay stuff to get here. My 12-in-1 card reader so I can test other things like an old SD card. I did not cross any wires when adding my USB, it works as far as I know. Four wires spliced and soldered to the four wires needed in the Xbox controller port number 4. I know I should have did way more research and waited to buy a simple adapter cable. I love making things harder than necessary. LOL. I went ahead and bought a PC USB to Xbox Controller adapter cable from eBay too. It was $6.25CAD shipped so I won't cry over that price.

If all else fails I will try the hotswap. I have an old computer with plenty of room and IDE port free to do the swapping.

I want to eventually put about a 40GB HDD in. I have a few old drives I got from my step father. I loaded Windows XP onto one and it seems to work fine. It is a Seagate 40GB 7200RPM....not sure if it will be a good candidate for Xbox or not? I don't plan on going too crazy with adding stuff to the HDD so I think 40GB is good enough plus the price was right. biggrin.gif

#14 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

With the low cost of HDDs (500GB < 50/$75 new and often far less used) you're really hobbling yourself with a paltry 40GB. 80GB is OK but if you're going to all the trouble of getting your Xbox modded, unless money is really tight, why limit yourself?

Depending on the softmod anything larger than 120GB (137GB to be more accurate) may require a little bit of extra work to install but chances are it won't even be an issue. IMHO though 120GB is actually the ideal choice for the minimum HDD size.

Particularly if you're still just intending to use it primarily as a gaming machine 120GB will likely take your entire Xbox game collection (25+ games) and leave you plenty of free space for other purposes ie. emulators/ROMs or whatever.

With softmods the only criteria really important is that the HDD can be locked. There is a very good list of Xbox compatible HDD you can find if you Google but, in general, Western Digital and Seagate are usually fine. Personal prejudice here but I'd go for a Seagate - in my, admittedly limited, experience of HDDs I've found them quiter. less whiney than any of my WD equivalents.

Edited by fallenangle, 21 November 2011 - 02:52 PM.

#15 ZippoYaris

ZippoYaris

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

Fallenangle thanks for your help again. I know 40GB seems tiny today. I am on a budget so free sounds good to me. I am going to start by softmodding and take it from there. First step is to just get my softmod going..lol.

I have another hobby that has taken most of my money..lol. Collecting Zippo lighters. This Xbox was from back in 2004 when my bro and I bought it so it is a version 1.6. We will see what I can do in the near future. It is a waiting game now.

Thanks again. Take care.

smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users