#1 krankey

krankey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

Hi,

Firstly thank you for reading.

I recently was given an original Xbox and decided I wanted to softmod it for an XBMC install.

All went well I found a great tutorial here and decided that the route to follow would be to use Ndure 3.1 and Xboxhdm with the hotswap method.

The softmod worked for a few hours now I seem to be having a lot of issues with it namely the following:

- Softmod works but if shutdown (powered on at wall still) it won't boot the next time, it will just show the xbox logo then flash an orange light on the front and shutdown. Takes about 30 mins to get working with various button combo's on controller or a rebuild of the hard drive using xboxhdm and a reinstall of the softmod to get working again.

- More often than not the power button stops working and the only way to boot the Xbox is by the eject button. Usually after this happens I cannot get back to the softmod at all and have to rebuild the hard drive with Xboxhdm.

Overall I seem to be having a fairly bad time with this and the softmod just doesn't want to stick. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

I have since been able to dump my EEPROM making unlocking and relocking the drive much easier and no need for hotswapping.

Dave

Edited by krankey, 18 November 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

Sounds like your xbox is overheating. Check that the fan is plugged in and working.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 18 November 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#3 krankey

krankey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

I thought that but fan is running fine.

I checked the temp in UnleashX when i did get it running and it's hovering around 44/45C so I don't think it's that.

I thought it might be something like a clock loop but the clock it set fine when ti boots.

Dave

#4 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

I would try a new hard drive, though it doesn't explain the power issue. Look for any problems (corrosion) on the motherboard.

#5 krankey

krankey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

If I rebuild the drive back to standard with the latest dash it has none of these issues making me think it's not a hardware issue but something I'm doing.

Dave

#6 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

If you have access to a compatible hard drive, give it a shot. The stock hard drive may not be being hit with requests for the same sectors that are killing the softmod, and you'll either eliminate at least part of the problem or know to look somewhere else.

#7 krankey

krankey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Will any IDE drive suffice?

Dave

#8 JohnnyHunng

JohnnyHunng

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

As long as its lockable

#9 krankey

krankey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

How do I determine if it's lockable?

Also how would I dump the EEPROM for a new drive?

Dave

#10 JohnnyHunng

JohnnyHunng

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

You said you already had a dump of your xbox's eeprom, thats all you need...its always the same for that particular xbox no matter what hard drive you use.

As far as if your drive is lockable, u just gotta try to build & lock it with xboxhdm and see if it locks...either is going to lock or not.

#11 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Do the same procedure you did for the stock drive, xboxhdm will figure out how to lock it with just the eeprom.

^Oh well..

Edited by Movax, 18 November 2011 - 11:55 PM.

#12 krankey

krankey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

Give that go when I get in.

Thank you for your help guys, most appriciative for your helpful responses.

Dave

#13 krankey

krankey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

Well so far so good.

New 120gb Maxtor drive and everything seem's to be much better than it was. I've had the machine turned off for a while, all buttons work on the front after it's been off and it always boots into UnleashX.

Thanks guys was great to get some helpful responses.

Dave

EDIT: Spoke too soon, BUT I've just noticed the issues only start after I FTP stuff to it. I FTP'd a copy of Surreal to the App's folder and it stopped booting. I wonder if it's something to do with the FTP client I am using or maybe because I'm FTPing from a Mac?

Edited by krankey, 19 November 2011 - 02:46 AM.

#14 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:06 AM

FTPing some apps shouldn't do anything to the booting process...how does it 'stop booting'? More detail.

#15 krankey

krankey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

As I said in my first post but I'll outline it in exact detail here:

- Softmod works fine
- Turn xbox off
- Turn xbox on
- Shows Xbox Logo (Light on front Green)
- Light turns Orange and just turns off.

Nothing else happens. But like I said I just tested this. Rebuilt the whole hard drive from scratch, softmodded using Ndure 3.1 and booted it up. Xbox run's like a dream, UnleashX boots every time no issues clocks set etc etc.

Load up Filezilla on my Mac, FTP something to the App's folder & reboot the Xbox & it's bricked again.

Going to try from a windows machine I have here.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users