9 replies to this topic

#1 sfanon01

sfanon01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:27 AM

Greetings,

I've been away for quite a while and I had given up hope of being able to run a JTAG due to the dashboard version on my Jasper box. I've placed on order for the following items and hope to recieve them in tomorrow to begin work:

Xecuter NAND-X & JTAG Connection Kit
Xecuter CoolRunner NAND-X Add-on
NAND-X To CoolRunner JTAG Cable
Xecuter CK3 to NAND-X Update Cable

I already own the Executer CK3 Pro and probe, but I'm thinking that I also need a JTAG cable besides the NAND-X To CoolRunner JTAG Cable ordered?

Now I'm not looking for a hand-out here, I can locate my own guides and wiring schematics, but I wondered if someone would be able to give me the high-level outline of the steps required to get this up and running. One of my concerns (again, I can research on my own later) is the need to update both the NAND-X and the CoolRunner components. Not sure if this is done in advance, or after install, or doesn't matter.

Basically, if anyone could do like a 5-6 step process flow for me that would help me to gather my own documentations and tools.

Any assistance in this regard is greatly appreciated.

-SF

#2 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:44 AM

if the nandx you are waiting on is the latest one ie v3 firmware
you dont need the ck3i thats only for updating to v3nandx
v3 updates coolrunner wink.gif
nandx and coolrunner should come with connection kits!
all you should need is nandx to coolrunner update cable if you have one of those you should have all you need.

Edited by sinclairuser, 22 November 2011 - 02:52 AM.

#3 sfanon01

sfanon01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

For anyone that cares, the order is as follows:
  1. Update Nand-X
  2. Update Coolrunner
  3. Install Nand-X
  4. Dump nand
  5. Verify nand
  6. Write glitch bin
  7. Install JTAG
  8. Install Coolrunner
  9. ...
  10. Profit??

#4 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Program your coolrunner with the appropriate JED/XSVF file(need xsvf if using nandpro to program). Make sure you have flipped the switch to PRG on the coolrunner and also flip the switch for Slim or Phat. If you are using QSB, then solder the QSB to the board.

Then solder the coolrunner wires. If not using a QSB, then solder connections for your nandx and the wires for the coolrunner to the appropriate points on the motherboard. LEAVE YOUR CPU_RST cable the full length it is! Do not cut.

Plug in your 360 power supply to the motherboard. Read your nand 3 times and save.

Next create ECC.bin. Then write ECC.bin. Unplug the USB from the programmer and unplug your 360 power supply.

Wait a few seconds, plug your 360 PSU back in. Press eject and wait for xell to load, could take a few reboots. When xell pops up either record your CPU key from the screen or take a quick picture and then look at the picture and record it.

Then create your freeBOOT image, flash your image, and test to make sure it boots.

Once confirmed working desolder your programmer wires if you didn't use a QSB, then put a piece of electrical tape over your CPU_RST and POST_OUT1 connections on the bottom of the motherboard so they don't move around. Your CPU_RST cable is really long, some suggest coiling it, but this can create problems. I kind of lay mine all over the top or bottom of the motherboard and tape it down with electrical tape so it cant move once I find a good position for it.

Wire install and QSB install diagrams for slim and phat are here in stickies:
http://team-xecuter....splay.php?f=175

Problems:
Can't seem to boot? Never boot? Keeps resetting with no boot?

Did you remember to flash your glitch chip??? Did you flip the switch back from PRG to NOR??? Did you flip the switch for Slim or Phat??

Check soldering of course is always a good thing to check first.

Ensure you have no solder bridges and are connected to the right points.

Make sure your CPU_RST cable is not coiled tightly, electronic interference can mess with this cable I read as well, so make sure you keep it away from the little "coils" on the motherboard if you can. You might also try cutting this a little bit at a time to get it to work, last resort.

Sometimes a first boot or a boot after a successful boot might take long. If its taking more then a minute for first boot or boot after powering down, try just turning it off then right back on. Usually that second power on will be like 10-15 seconds boot.

Edited by BoNg420, 23 November 2011 - 03:20 PM.

#5 sfanon01

sfanon01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Nov 23 2011, 08:14 AM) View Post

Program your coolrunner with the appropriate JED/XSVF file(need xsvf if using nandpro to program). Make sure you have flipped the switch to PRG on the coolrunner and also flip the switch for Slim or Phat. If you are using QSB, then solder the QSB to the board.

Then solder the coolrunner wires. If not using a QSB, then solder connections for your nandx and the wires for the coolrunner to the appropriate points on the motherboard. LEAVE YOUR CPU_RST cable the full length it is! Do not cut.

Plug in your 360 power supply to the motherboard. Read your nand 3 times and save.

Next create ECC.bin. Then write ECC.bin. Unplug the USB from the programmer and unplug your 360 power supply.

Wait a few seconds, plug your 360 PSU back in. Press eject and wait for xell to load, could take a few reboots. When xell pops up either record your CPU key from the screen or take a quick picture and then look at the picture and record it.

Then create your freeBOOT image, flash your image, and test to make sure it boots.

Once confirmed working desolder your programmer wires if you didn't use a QSB, then put a piece of electrical tape over your CPU_RST and POST_OUT1 connections on the bottom of the motherboard so they don't move around. Your CPU_RST cable is really long, some suggest coiling it, but this can create problems. I kind of lay mine all over the top or bottom of the motherboard and tape it down with electrical tape so it cant move once I find a good position for it.

Wire install and QSB install diagrams for slim and phat are here in stickies:
http://team-xecuter....splay.php?f=175

Problems:
Can't seem to boot? Never boot? Keeps resetting with no boot?

Did you remember to flash your glitch chip??? Did you flip the switch back from PRG to NOR??? Did you flip the switch for Slim or Phat??

Check soldering of course is always a good thing to check first.

Ensure you have no solder bridges and are connected to the right points.

Make sure your CPU_RST cable is not coiled tightly, electronic interference can mess with this cable I read as well, so make sure you keep it away from the little "coils" on the motherboard if you can. You might also try cutting this a little bit at a time to get it to work, last resort.

Sometimes a first boot or a boot after a successful boot might take long. If its taking more then a minute for first boot or boot after powering down, try just turning it off then right back on. Usually that second power on will be like 10-15 seconds boot.

Thank you very much for your complete and detailed post. My Jasper is now glitched. I initially had intermittent boots of anywhere from 45 seconds to 15 minutes plus. After researching I went to Radio Shack to locate a 68nF (0.068uF) capacitor to solder between the "GND" and "A" points on the CoolRunner. Well, they didn't have any so I got a 47nF (0.047uF) cap in place now and I see boot times from 3 to 30 seconds. I thought I'd leave a note regarding the dramatic improvement.

Thank you again for your assistance in helping me to RGH my box!

-SF

Edited by sfanon01, 30 November 2011 - 04:09 AM.

#6 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(sfanon01 @ Nov 29 2011, 10:03 PM) View Post

Thank you very much for your complete and detailed post. My Jasper is now glitched. I initially had intermittent boots of anywhere from 45 seconds to 15 minutes plus. After researching I went to Radio Shack to locate a 68nF (0.068uF) capacitor to solder between the "GND" and "A" points on the CoolRunner. Well, they didn't have any so I got a 47nF (0.047uF) cap in place now and I see boot times from 3 to 30 seconds. I thought I'd leave a note regarding the dramatic improvement.

Thank you again for your assistance in helping me to RGH my box!

-SF

Yea I had to do the same for a customers box who was a jasper and wouldn't glitch right. I got so frustrated and spent hours messing with the wire position, guess if I would of scrolled down a little bit more on the xecuter site I would of seen the suggestion for the cap.

#7 digipimp75

digipimp75

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

Does the addition of that cap have anything to do with the cb version of the Jasper? Or are they all potentially finicky to glitch?

#8 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(digipimp75 @ Nov 30 2011, 11:19 AM) View Post

Does the addition of that cap have anything to do with the cb version of the Jasper? Or are they all potentially finicky to glitch?

Its supposed to be with 256mb or 512mb ones, don't know if it will help 16mb ones.

#9 211

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Mt Biking during Mt Bike season and Video Games during Video Game season
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thanks everyone for creating and contributing to this post!

I'm expecting my RGH components to arrive as early as tomorrow from T-X (coolrunner, nandx, and connector cable), so I too am in the very early stages of rolling up my sleeves and digging in.

I have one (actually two) questions which I hope does not hijack this thread:
What are you using to Dump/Flash the Nand? Coolshrimps or some other Jtag utility?

Also, I did not order a cap (saw they were available but didn't think my Jasper was affected rolleyes.gif ). Is it pretty likely I will have boot/glitch issues?
Is it one of those things I should just pick up anyway while I'm waiting on parts? Kind of might-as-well thing?

Edited by 211, 30 November 2011 - 06:24 PM.

#10 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(211 @ Nov 30 2011, 12:23 PM) View Post

Thanks everyone for creating and contributing to this post!

I'm expecting my RGH components to arrive as early as tomorrow from T-X (coolrunner, nandx, and connector cable), so I too am in the very early stages of rolling up my sleeves and digging in.

I have one (actually two) questions which I hope does not hijack this thread:
What are you using to Dump/Flash the Nand? Coolshrimps or some other Jtag utility?

Also, I did not order a cap (saw they were available but didn't think my Jasper was affected rolleyes.gif ). Is it pretty likely I will have boot/glitch issues?
Is it one of those things I should just pick up anyway while I'm waiting on parts? Kind of might-as-well thing?

You might get the cap with your coolrunnner. New ones supposed to come with it.

You can use JTAG Tool by coolshrimp. Saves on typing in dos commands. I noticed that there is a problem right at the end of RGH when you click write Freeboot it will say select a device but there is nothing you can select, so just click advanced mode, then choose write freeboot or FB whatever it says and choose your freeboot image.

You will have to figure out if your Jasper is a big block or not. This is important in reading your nand.

If you have a 16mb jasper then you read like normal, but a big block you need 64mb.

I wouldn't suggest using Jtag TOOl to read your nand if you have a big block jasper as it will READ THE WHOLE THING.

It will take a very long time to read it. get nandpro and open a command prompt and use the following command for big block 256 or 512mb

nandpro usb: -r64 nand.bin

Nand.bin can be whatever you want to name your nand backup.

For all other nands its

nandpro usb: -r16 nand.bin

Edited by BoNg420, 30 November 2011 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users