#1 TheJaguar

TheJaguar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:50 AM

Folks,

As you can see from the title, it's been a long time since I have turned on my Xbox 360, and I would really appreciate basic guidance on my options:

I have an xbox arcade with Jasper chipset and a lite-on drive.
Dashboard: 2.0.8955.0
Kernel: 2.0.8955.0
BK:2.0.1888.0 (don't really know what this means)

I purchased a 120gb hdd on ebay a while back and my system identifies it as a valid hdd, but I remember a firmware update (more recent that the one I have on the xbox) that disabled a lot of accessories, so I am not sure what's going to happen when I update my machine. Is there a way to detect if my HDD was a genuine one or not?

I need a way to play backed-up games (that I have purchased) off of my hard drive along with kinect based games. I have been reading a bunch and it looks like there are a couple of options: reflash firmware of my DVD drive or glitch the system (RGH)

I would like to have the option of using live - can you folks please suggest the best way forward?

Thanks much in advance smile.gif

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

You don't need to worry about the hard drive being disabled. Microsoft has never and will never do that, due to the legal problems they'd cause for themselves.

If you want to use LIVE, a dual-NAND system is your best bet. Custom DVD-ROM firmware does not allow games to be booted just from the HDD, but only backed up games to be booted from the DVD-ROM drive. With a dual-NAND system, it's possible to have the benefits of an RGH system while still being able to access LIVE on an unmodified kernel.

Dual-NAND setups are still pretty much DIY, so if you want to go that route, you've probably got a lot more reading to do.

#3 TheJaguar

TheJaguar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Nov 21 2011, 10:55 PM) View Post

You don't need to worry about the hard drive being disabled. Microsoft has never and will never do that, due to the legal problems they'd cause for themselves.

If you want to use LIVE, a dual-NAND system is your best bet. Custom DVD-ROM firmware does not allow games to be booted just from the HDD, but only backed up games to be booted from the DVD-ROM drive. With a dual-NAND system, it's possible to have the benefits of an RGH system while still being able to access LIVE on an unmodified kernel.

Dual-NAND setups are still pretty much DIY, so if you want to go that route, you've probably got a lot more reading to do.

Thanks for the detailed response, Aldanga. Can I get on xbox-live if I go with the custom DVD-ROM firmware? I understand that I won't be able to run games off of my HDD.

I don't think I am ready for the dual-NAND solution yet smile.gif

#4 Technitian3

Technitian3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:alchemy, metallurgy, philosophy
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(TheJaguar @ Nov 21 2011, 11:05 PM) View Post

Can I get on xbox-live if I go with the custom DVD-ROM firmware?

Yes, but you run the risk of getting your console banned.

#5 TheJaguar

TheJaguar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE(Technitian3 @ Nov 22 2011, 05:03 AM) View Post

Yes, but you run the risk of getting your console banned.

Thanks for the input. I have decided to mod my DVD drive, but before I do that, I have a final question: should I flash the latest official firmware and dash before I attempt to retrieve my DVD key and flash LT+ 2.0?

#6 oleq83

oleq83

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:04 AM

No.
First get your dvd key.
Then use that key and inject it into a "pre 13146 dashboard" original firmware. If you have a 74850 Dvd drive then use the 74850 firmware and if you have a 83850, then use the 83850 firmware and so on.
Once you've flashed the drive with the original firmware, update the console.

Then once the console is updated, you can flash Ixtreme 2.0 to the drive.

If you are going to use the console on xbox live, I would not recommend that you use any xgd3 backup games in the drive, before Ixtreme 3.0 is out.

#7 TheJaguar

TheJaguar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE(oleq83 @ Dec 2 2011, 10:04 PM) View Post

No.
First get your dvd key.
Then use that key and inject it into a "pre 13146 dashboard" original firmware. If you have a 74850 Dvd drive then use the 74850 firmware and if you have a 83850, then use the 83850 firmware and so on.
Once you've flashed the drive with the original firmware, update the console.

Then once the console is updated, you can flash Ixtreme 2.0 to the drive.

If you are going to use the console on xbox live, I would not recommend that you use any xgd3 backup games in the drive, before Ixtreme 3.0 is out.

Thanks much!

I have been reading a few tutorials, so I understand the basic gist of it. If you don't mind, can you elaborate on injecting the key into a "pre 13146 dashboard"? I have the 83850C firmware on a DG-16D2S-09C dvd drive.

Edited by TheJaguar, 03 December 2011 - 04:29 AM.

#8 oleq83

oleq83

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:03 AM

Yes. First download the latest Ixtreme firmware pack and extract it somewhere on your computer.

Then use jungleflasher and get the dvd key from your drive. Just open jungleflasher, go to dvdkey32 and click "phat key" (remember, if you have the 83850 V2 drive, then you need a probe to get the key).

After you have saved the dummy file, jungleflasher will ask you if you want to auto load Ixtreme 2.0 firmware. Here you should just click no.
Now you should have automatically been taken to the "firmware tool 32" tab.
Click "target firmware". Find the location where you extracted the Ixtreme firmware files and in the "Pre 13146" folder, open the firmware for the 83850 drive.

Now just click "spoof to target" and check that everything is correct.
Once confirmed, just go ahead and flash the firmware to the drive.

#9 TheJaguar

TheJaguar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(oleq83 @ Dec 2 2011, 11:03 PM) View Post

Yes. First download the latest Ixtreme firmware pack and extract it somewhere on your computer.

Then use jungleflasher and get the dvd key from your drive. Just open jungleflasher, go to dvdkey32 and click "phat key" (remember, if you have the 83850 V2 drive, then you need a probe to get the key).

After you have saved the dummy file, jungleflasher will ask you if you want to auto load Ixtreme 2.0 firmware. Here you should just click no.
Now you should have automatically been taken to the "firmware tool 32" tab.
Click "target firmware". Find the location where you extracted the Ixtreme firmware files and in the "Pre 13146" folder, open the firmware for the 83850 drive.

Now just click "spoof to target" and check that everything is correct.
Once confirmed, just go ahead and flash the firmware to the drive.

Got it - to make sure, let me confirm what I need to do:
1] get dvd key - at this time, I will find out if my drive is v1 or v2
2] after getting the key, flash the pre 13146 83850 (v1/v2) STOCK firmware
3] update the dash/firmware with the latest version from XBL
4] flash LT+ 2.0 on top of this

Is that right? Also, is step #2 required?

Once again, thanks for all the help.

#10 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

If your drive is already stock then you don't need to perform that task. Also, at this point you are better off waiting for LT+3.0 which will most likely be coming out soon. Its up to you.

#11 oleq83

oleq83

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:42 AM

Sorry. I completely misread your post.
I thought your dvd drive already had an older Custom firmware on it.

Just forget everything I said about flashing stock firmware to the drive before updating the console.
Just update the console to the newest dashboard. Once the console has been updated, you can just follow the Jungleflasher tutorial on how to flash Ixtreme to your dvd drive.

But as Tomgreen said, you're better of waiting until Ixtreme 3.0 comes out.

#12 TheJaguar

TheJaguar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE(tomgreen99200 @ Dec 3 2011, 06:04 PM) View Post

If your drive is already stock then you don't need to perform that task. Also, at this point you are better off waiting for LT+3.0 which will most likely be coming out soon. Its up to you.

QUOTE(oleq83 @ Dec 3 2011, 09:42 PM) View Post

Sorry. I completely misread your post.
I thought your dvd drive already had an older Custom firmware on it.

Just forget everything I said about flashing stock firmware to the drive before updating the console.
Just update the console to the newest dashboard. Once the console has been updated, you can just follow the Jungleflasher tutorial on how to flash Ixtreme to your dvd drive.

But as Tomgreen said, you're better of waiting until Ixtreme 3.0 comes out.

Thanks much guys - really appreciate it. I understand waiting for 3.0 makes the most sense, but I wanted to get some experience doing this, so I am thinking of doing it anyway smile.gif Also, c4e mentions that it will come after the 6th when the new update comes out - I am not sure how long after the 6th it would end up being, especially if Microsoft decides to add any additional security measures...

#13 oleq83

oleq83

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

When you update the console, the safest thing to do is to download the update from microsoft and copy the update to a usb drive, then connect the usb drive to the console.

If you update the console through xbox live, then you risk "flagging" the console for a ban, if you put any new backups like Battlefield 3 or MW3 in it.

#14 TheJaguar

TheJaguar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(oleq83 @ Dec 4 2011, 11:48 AM) View Post

When you update the console, the safest thing to do is to download the update from microsoft and copy the update to a usb drive, then connect the usb drive to the console.

If you update the console through xbox live, then you risk "flagging" the console for a ban, if you put any new backups like Battlefield 3 or MW3 in it.

got it - thanks for the tip smile.gif

#15 TheJaguar

TheJaguar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the help folks - just wanted to post an update that I managed to get the DVD key, update to the latest stock firmware and dash and then flashed LT+ 2.0. I was able to play an original disc game (Kinect Adventures). Next step is to burn and play a back-up smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users