X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

Just got a 1.0 motherboard for my Matrix chip, and as the title says I'm having trouble keeping it on. I know it's not the PSU because I'm using one from my other Xbox that has never had any problems, and using the replacement power cable that was issued my M$.

At first I thought maybe the bios (Evox 2.5) had a shutdown when idle feature, but I just started playing a video in XBMC and it turned off right in the middle of it. Not only that, every time it turns off by itself, if I immediately turn it back on it'll turn back off right when the dash loads. This leads me to doubt it's a bios related problem, and I don't think I'll try flashing a different bios in case it shuts down during the flash.

The temperature seems fine, with the CPU staying around 34 - 36 degrees, and the GPU never going above 40 degrees (celsius).

A few of the capacitors got bent during shipping, but I don't see how that would cause this problem, and I've had an Xbox where one of the capacitors looked like it exploded (lol) and it still ran fine.

Another weird thing about this console is the power button does absolutely nothing... it powers on with eject, and has to be unplugged or turned off via dashboard.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what's wrong here though uhh.gif

#2 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

Take out the motherboard and check for corrosion or like a chemical film on the board, it should be obvious once you look, if that is the problem.

And/or look for this kind of problem: IPB Image

Edited by Movax, 25 November 2011 - 04:43 AM.

#3 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:41 AM

IPB Image

That's the only bad area, I also forgot to mention the person who previously owned the board installed a coaxial output, would that potentially be a problem?

#4 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

You should remove the bad capacitor (you don't need it, your xbox will just forget the date/time if you unplug it) and clean the board up with isopropyl alcohol and cross your fingers.

#5 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

I assume the "bad" capacitor is the big one? And thanks for the advice happy.gif

#6 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

Look for one that is leaking.. not the biggest one, it looks like the top is caved in. It's near the inductor (coil).

#7 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Looks like the cap has leaked and needs to be removed. Also you should use lemon juice or vinigar (something relitivly acidic) to clean it as it will also help neutralize the alkaline from the cap.

i would imagine its one of those small transistors.

(the small ones that look a bit like that...
|
___
|___|
| |

they regulate voltages. probably got damaged by the alkaline and the power is not being supplied correctly through them.

#8 Woodpeckah

Woodpeckah

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Is it just me or is this capacitor notorious for malfunctions (leaking etc.)?

I've had about eight different xboxes Versions varying from 1.1-1.5 and they ALL had that exact same leaking capacitor...they were all modded btw so maybe it has something to do with that.
Also there is a German site that has schematics for an improved battery-powered backup solution. Never tried it tho.
http://circuit-board...php?f=54&t=2174

#9 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

The clock cap on the xboxes are constantly dying/leaking. They arent needed on a modded xbox though. so we generaly just remove them.
they only really cause issues on stock xboxes as some bright spark decided that the clock needs to be set properly.
This isnt a big issue though just means you have to reset the clock when you power on, but a dashboard error + dead cap throws up a diferent error to just a bad dash, and then you have to hotswap to fix where as otherwize you could have gotten away with a live enabled game dash update.

you can replace them with a battery, but generaly we dont as the charging part for the battery is not properly regulated as the xbox is expecting a cap not a battery.
you can just prevent power getting to the battery by using a diode or similar but a battery that wont be charged is not really any more usefull than a dead cap IMO.

Edited by shambles1980, 26 March 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#10 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

So you have to input time and date everyime during bootup? How annoying if thats tge case.

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

No, you just leave it connected to your home network and your modded dash will get the time from an Internet NTP server.

#12 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(kenzo42 @ Apr 13 2012, 08:18 PM) View Post

So you have to input time and date everyime during bootup? How annoying if thats tge case.

You only need to set the time after it's disconnected from power, not every boot, and even then, you can use a dash that will auto set the time like Heimdall suggested.

#13 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(kenzo42 @ Apr 13 2012, 08:18 PM) View Post

You only need to set the time after it's disconnected from power, not every boot, and even then, you can use a dash that will auto set the time like Heimdall suggested.

#14 GISJason

GISJason

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hacking anything w/ a TSOP....<br /><br />Modems, Xboxs, 360s, Etc.....

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Maybe try TSOP flashing it instead of using the chip and see how that does? May get rid of the Power off issue... Just a idea! ;-) I've had funky issues with some chips where they'd just not work right or even stay on at all when I used chips but once removed and using the TSOP instead of the chip they boot up and work fine with no issues at all! Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users