• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 impimpin206

impimpin206

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Multimedia, xbox/360 hacking, football, and breaking girls' hearts.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

Hadn't seen anyone talking about it, but the new dashboard allows the xbox video player to play MKVs over the local network without having to use Media Center. Woohoo!

#2 Light Yagami

Light Yagami

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

This is good news didn't know about that.I don't think alot of ppl care tho but atleast we can put our own stuff on there without the use of media player:)

#3 the_winky_files

the_winky_files

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:22 AM

That is pretty awesome. I've been having to use Media Center through the Xbox. However, I'm having an issue I was wondering if you guys might know how to fix.

I'm running Windows 7 and I have media sharing setup correctly. However, when I go to the video player on my Xbox 360, it does not show the locations I've shared as my video Libraries. I have F:\Movies and F:\TV Series both shared under my video libraries on my computer. I can launch Windows Media Player and see all of the contents of those folders with no problem. On my Xbox 360, it only shows the default Windows 7 folder locations (C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV and C:\Users\Public\Pictures). I've checked and these two locations aren't in my video libraries so I'm not sure why they're showing up.

I was able to place one of my MKV files within the C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV folder and play it successfully. It's annoying because I would like to avoid Media Center if I can skip that extra step. I was having this problem with my Music Player doing the same thing recently, but was able to resolve it. For some reason, my computer decided to change the permissions on the WMP network service to read only (no listing permissions). I changed the video list permissions, but it did not resolve the issue. I've searched the registry to try and find where these values are stored, but everywhere I see C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV, there are also entries for F:\Movies and F:\TV Series.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

#4 rastiemon

rastiemon

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

So how did you guys get this to work? I have been using Windows Media Center to play mkvs but man its buggy as heck for me most of the time. The mkv's now show under my regular video player but it still says the content is unsupported. Is there something else I need to do?

Edited by rastiemon, 11 December 2011 - 02:17 AM.

#5 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Cool, I hope this is true. I'll be trying this out shortly. I use TVersity or Vuze to stream as I hate windows media center and couldn't get sharing to work any other way...

#6 the_winky_files

the_winky_files

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Well I have solved my issues after a bunch of trial and error. It turns out that there was a permission group missing from the two folders I was trying to share. I'm not sure if this applies to everyone or just me, but the folders I want my Xbox to see have to have a permissions group for PCNAME\HomeUsers. This was present on my MP3s folder and explains why it would work, but none of my video folders would. I added the permissions group and was able to see and play my MKV files. I think the permissions issue may have been because I've had to replace that hard drive twice within the last year. At some point, I'm guessing the permission got a little screwed up.

I did notice one downside of playing MKV files through the video player and not in Windows Media Center. If you care about surround sound, you will lose your Dolby Digital true surround sound through video player. I tested a couple of files and all of them had Dolby Digital audio tracks (verified this through mkvmerge). When I played the files through video player via the dashboard, my surround sound would switch to Dolby Pro Logic II. When I played the same files through Windows Media Center, I would get Dolby Digital.

Still not perfect, but pretty nice if you don't care about surround sound.

#7 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

I use a patriot media player, got it for like $60 or so with a free wireless adapter.

I was tired of converting stuff before, so I just got this media player and it works awesome.

Edited by BoNg420, 12 December 2011 - 02:18 PM.

#8 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

So TVersity doesn't even show up anymore in the new Video panel but I see my Win7 laptop showed up but I had nothing in it's shared folders. Rebooted my desktop in Win7 and I had to use Media Center to share a video folder. I only had one MKV file and that file is missing from the 360's folder listing, it was a 720p MKV. Some other MP4's asked for an update which I can't do right now because my router won't connect to live. It doesn't look like this is going to try and play MKV's at all?

#9 HuH0X

HuH0X

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

Finally. I hate having to have all my media stream through media center. Let me play it from USB Microsoft!

#10 Haygar

Haygar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Dec 12 2011, 11:17 PM) View Post

I use a patriot media player, got it for like $60 or so with a free wireless adapter.

I was tired of converting stuff before, so I just got this media player and it works awesome.

Yeah, same here. Got a WD TV Live, 'tis the sh*t! smile.gif

#11 AirCap

AirCap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Well, I tried playing a .MKV through Tversity on my Xbox 360 - with latest Dashboard - it doesn't work.

#12 rwcottrell

rwcottrell

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

im confused.can i just put a mkv file onto my usb stick and play it?or do i still need to stream something from my pc????

#13 XBOX360NYMODING

XBOX360NYMODING

X-S Member

• Last Chance
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

you cant just stick mkv's on a usb and play them it dont work like that. you need a 3rd party app to play them. the 360 is worthless for playing video content.

best option is like said above to get a player like a WD or something that plays anything u want.
Im getting a rasberry pi smile.gif $35 runs XBMC

#14 rwcottrell

rwcottrell

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

i just run all my mkvs through xenonmkv and then put them on a usb stick.they play in perfect hd.

#15 GraiLe

GraiLe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Ok just accidentally figured this out, (you can now play mkv even more than 4 GB using XBOX thru WMP latest version )

Play mkv files directly streaming on XBOX ..making your PC kinda like a large USB -- NOT thru Windows Media Centre ( your computer name would come out if you open WMP ..ensure that streaming is allowd on all devices and network in WMP options) nad my PC also has the CCCP codec instaled just FYI..

I was playing NFL HD MOVIE in mkv.on XBOX using PMS (ps3 Media server.. , when i play it on PMS..it would stutter, pause and then continue,..usually i pause it and play it once PMS catcHes up with bitrate,

but NOW.. i can play MKV file EVEN more than 4 GB files on my xbox thru WMP .latest version ,,,but you have to open PMS also at the same time.(and FYI Halli splitter codec and CCCP codec is installed in my PC..maybe that help also)

I usually cannot see the mkv file on my xbox when using wmp and play thru XBOX...BUT WHEN I OPENED PMS...files also came out on my WMP..

First..open PMS..make sure mkv file shows up on list USING XBOX ...then open WMP on your PC also and do not exit PMS ....NOW you can see the MKV file...(if still cannot see,,try playing another MKV file first with PMS usually better with subtitle..(after this once you can see the file using XBOX only..it can play MKV and even more than 4 GB),,

Now the i can watch the NFL game HD without stutter,,only problem now is it is not surround sound...i will try an OPTICAL cable...next week..will update..Cheers

oh sometimes it will say error pc not connected --- .53-?????? ..something like that..just play it again and it will play...Thanks

will try if it would surround if i put optical cable..will update,,,hehe.cheers(coz currently if mp4 5.1 it would play surround and avi...but thru ac3...hmm have not tried this new version if mp4 but aac 6 ch,.,will try later also..hehehe,..but mkv will not surround...i am using hdmi thru amp and to tv..
but if subtitle..

PS3 Media server is the best for watching it (especially with subtitles)... It has a magma version which plays surround 5.1 even using PS3 MS.. plays all mp4..mkv..avi...and surround...but i just used this way directly if mkv and not interested in surround,,hehe..at least you have options right??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users