Photo

Internal 3.5inch Sata Drive Idea/mod/photos Inside.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Likwidchz

Likwidchz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

Hey everyone I thought I would get an account here and post my idea. I have a couple spare Xenon boards that are toast as do probably quite a few of you folks and I started to look at the traces from the south bridge to the internal Sata connector is for the dvd drive, as well as the traces that go to the external "STUPID" hard drive connector... I have always hated nonstandard connectors for stupid things such as these, if M$ would have left it a normal sata connector it would have been peachy like unicorns and rainbows.. but anyway which leads me to the question.

Is it possible you could somehow reverse the internal / external hard drive sata connectors in the NXE code? Having an RGH console I do not need the DVD drive at all as you can launch everything from a usb stick. I was thinking physically move traces around on the board but would probably end up with a device that isn't able to do anything in the end. It would be SO handy to just use a short sata cable inside the 360 and be done with this crap.

On the off chance that this hack really isn't feasible or someone hasn't thought of it / not possible I'm kinda looking for a sata port surface mount component I can attach to the top of the external harddrive connector inside the 360 and get a normal sata connector installed with epoxy or some other means... something clean looking.IPB Image

The 8 red dots are potential serial ATA points I can use for the connector, I used a heat gun on one of the xenon consoles I had to remove the harddrive connector but really dont want to use that brute force of a method to remove the one on my working jasper.

Attached are some photos of the stainless steel bracket I build last week for attaching a internal harddrive to the case holes where the dvd rom drive was screwed into the 360. I also bondo'ed a faceplate I had removing the dvd rom slot, sanded it then wraped it with 3m DiNoc carbon fiber vinyl so I didnt have to paint the thing, plus it covers up 80 grit sand scratches like no ones business.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Above is a sata cable to xbox360 harddrive plug I built 2 years ago. Someone said to use a 90 degree bend sata cable on this however the serial port is the reverse way and would point the cable away from the case.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
This is the connector I built, surprised another company hasn't mass produced these things yet... would be handy.

Advantages of having a Miller 200DX tig allows me to waste my time building little creations like this
IPB Image

Anyway comments / questions / concerns / flaming? I'm all ears.

Thanks!

#2 njotz

njotz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

Pretty cool!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users