Photo

Xbox Mediacenter And Content, How To Preserve/protect It?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RaCeduck7

RaCeduck7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hi, I have an xbox with a bigger hard drive, media center and lots of back up content.
I'm worried if one day the hard drive in my xbox would fail to work, i would be losing all my treasured content. What is the best/easiest way to make a back up of all the content on the hard drive in my xbox? Would i have to connect a 2nd xbox with also a big hardrive to my xbox to tranfer the data to make a back up? Or is there an other way to do this?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

The copies on your Xbox should be working copies. The originals should be on your PC, and backed up as part of your normal daily backup, because the Xbox file system wasn't ever designed to be used as primary storage, and has no tools to support such usage.

If you have been mad enough to use your Xbox as primary storage, use FTP to copy the data back to your PC, then back it up as normal.

#3 RaCeduck7

RaCeduck7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Dec 11 2011, 11:41 PM) View Post

The copies on your Xbox should be working copies. The originals should be on your PC, and backed up as part of your normal daily backup, because the Xbox file system wasn't ever designed to be used as primary storage, and has no tools to support such usage.

If you have been mad enough to use your Xbox as primary storage, use FTP to copy the data back to your PC, then back it up as normal.

Yes, i have been mad to store all my back ups on DVD-RW's and copy them to the xbox it's hard drive. I have been trying to FTP between my PC and XBOX before, i even had a guy it's recommendations who installs media center's all the time and couldn't understand why my xbox would not interact with my PC, i could try it again but i'm not sure it will work now. That's why i installed content to the xbox it's hard drive with DVD-RW's. But if i want an extra back up from the hard drive in my xbox... can't i just take out this hard drive out of my xbox and connect this hard drive to an other one to copy the data? through a PC? Or from one xbox to an other??

Edited by RaCeduck7, 12 December 2011 - 12:42 AM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

Unless your Xbox NIC is broken the your FTP issue is finger trouble, and it's usually a networking 101 problem.

You can remove the drive and use Xplorer360 in your PC to copy the data to your PC. If your Xbox is softmodded then you need to unlock the disk first, but you shouldn't do that unless you are SURE you know exactly how to relock it.

Xbox to Xbox copying uses FTP.

#5 RaCeduck7

RaCeduck7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Dec 12 2011, 12:47 AM) View Post

Unless your Xbox NIC is broken the your FTP issue is finger trouble, and it's usually a networking 101 problem.

You can remove the drive and use Xplorer360 in your PC to copy the data to your PC. If your Xbox is softmodded then you need to unlock the disk first, but you shouldn't do that unless you are SURE you know exactly how to relock it.

Xbox to Xbox copying uses FTP.

Well, i had the content i want to preserve from my xbox on my previous PC but it is broke and went to the container park to be trashed. That's why i desperatly want a back up from this hard drive in my xbox. I haven't got a PC at the moment, only a laptop from the year 2004 or something, so i think it won't make the big hard drive work on my laptop without any serious configuration and a bigger casing for the the xbox hard drive to my laptop. I guess my best bet is to find an other 2nd xbox with mediacenter and with a big hard drive and connect it with a cross over cable, not sure how it is called but i think i got it laying around somewhere from the time i tried to unsuccesfully ftp between my PC and XBOX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users