• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KSTrick

KSTrick

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:56 AM

I've had my Xbox softmodded for about 4 years now and I noticed not too long ago that my Xbox consistently requires me to leave it off for extended periods of time before I can turn it back on after using it.

When I power the Xbox on it powers up and the hard drive spins up and all the stuff it normally does, but nothing else happens, the light is steady green but the 'glob' screen never appears. When this is happening I can't get the DVD drive to open either.

After leaving the power off for a while (doesn't matter if it's unplugged or not) everything will fire up just fine and the Xbox works as expected with no issues.

I've noticed it happening with both the original hard drive, and the upgraded 120GB drive I have put in. Even unplugging the DVD drive and hard drive don't cause the Xbox to react any differently. It's as if it's not actually loading any of the start up processes.

I'm guessing something on the motherboard is going bad, but I really have no idea what it could be.

Any insight would be appreciated, if you need versions or anything lemme know.

#2 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

You may have the start of the end of the xbox. Sounds like a "Coma" console except it does boot sometimes. You might can try and install a chip or flash the on board TSOP and see if one of those solves the problem.

#3 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

Coma consoles can boot sometimes. This is your chance to flash the TSOP. Otherwise install a chip.

#4 KSTrick

KSTrick

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:00 AM

My motherboard is 1.5 which I've read is pretty hard if not impossible to TSOP. Buying a chip would probably cost more than getting a new console, so I'll probably just do that when the thing finally does die.

Or stop turning it off lol smile.gif

Thanks for the replies, guys.

#5 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:52 AM

If it is not a 1.6 you can flash it, no more difficult than any other and 1.2 - 1.4 are actually potentially easier. Most people agree that 1.5s don't really exist and if they do they are pretty much the same as 1.4s.

#6 KSTrick

KSTrick

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

Could you provide a link to more information on flashing a 1.4+ board? Everything I've found while searching says it only works on 1.0-1.2, and when looking at the motherboard I'm not really finding the same stuff as the diagrams on those tutorials.

Also, what's the best way to tell exactly what board I have? I can only get a "1.4+" with the information I've found on the subject, no definitive result on if it's 1.4-1.5 or 1.6.

#7 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

http://www.biline.ca..._solder.htm#two

1.6 has a chip that says xyclops or some such as shown : http://pictures.xbox...alibur_02xs.jpg

As well it has messed up extra ram pads ( in the top mid right of that image ) and the Excalibur video encoder.

#8 KSTrick

KSTrick

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Mine is using the "Focus" chip, so I imagine I'm in good shape.

#9 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:18 AM

Yes, you can solder (or conductive paint) those points and use the hexen boot disk (popular around here) and flash with a 256kb modded bios (I like evox m8+) or flash a retail MS bios. If you flash a modded bios, you should be able to use hexen to remove the softmod, otherwise, your softmod will work with a retail bios and reflashing should fix the coma console symptoms.

http://forums.xbox-s...?showtopic=8980

#10 KSTrick

KSTrick

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

Okay, that seems like a good option. Is the Hexen disc required or can I just load evox from my modded dashboard and use the Flash BIOS option that it has? I don't mind if it's a modded BIOS or a retail BIOS, I don't really have any plans to use the retail dash and related stuff again.

#11 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

You can flash it that way, but it won't boot until you remove the softmod. Easiest way is with Hexen or any autoinstaller disk + FTP.
Well.. actually that is not strictly correct, but I am tired..

Modded bios should boot anything named c\:evoxdash.xbe you could set something up there before flashing, but shadowc might block that..

Edited by Movax, 25 December 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#12 KSTrick

KSTrick

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely keep all this in mind. I still need to get my hands on a soldering iron and all that.

#13 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

If your tsop chip is a winbond which it most likely is then hexen will be easiest way to flash otherwise you will need to use raincoat which i could never get to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users