#1 NobodyHere

NobodyHere

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Okay.

So I made a rather newb mistake... I got my third Xbox a couple months back, but didn't decide to mod it until now. I was hoping to finally have found one without the stupid overscan issues that every current emulator, or application, has with them.

Problem is that while I was switching out the IDE cable during the 'hot' swap, I let the drive slip from hand, and it made contact with the silver aluminum piece on the inside of the Xbox with the two yellow electrical warning stickers.

As anyone can guess, this did not go well.

Pretty much..... !POP!

I saw the contact create a single large spark, and then the system was off... probably for good. It won't turn on now, and I'm unsure as to where to look for the inconspicuous damage. Doing a quick look over the components, and the mobo, I'm unable to perceive any visible damage. After testing it out, it seems the hard drive still functions correctly.

The Xbox simply won't turn on. Even if I found the culprit outside of my own stupidity, would it be worth trying to repair a console this old, or should I just write it off? BTW - The disc drive was already non-functional when I got it.

#2 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:40 AM

Could be a fuse. Try a power supply from another xbox if you have one that is compatible to see if that xbox motherboard still works.

#3 NobodyHere

NobodyHere

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(Movax @ Dec 26 2011, 04:40 AM) View Post

Could be a fuse. Try a power supply from another xbox if you have one that is compatible to see if that xbox motherboard still works.

Is that safe for the psu. I'm admitting I didn't fully realize the whole piece under the hdd was the psu. I'm not a hardware guy really, so pardon my ignorance on the following questions.

I removed the power supply board from the system, dusted it off, and I found the point where the electricity made contact on the 'whats-it-called' stainless component. The fuse positioned right beside the actual power cable port, and the large capacitor 'appear' to be fine.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, and wait for someone's response on trying a different units PSU. It turns out it was just another 1.6 model, ie - Samsung RAM, Xcalibur, ATX cable with 4 fewer wires, etc.

I don't know why I can't find any 1.2 - 1.5 Xboxes, or 1.6 PSU replacements anywhere online...

#4 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

I believe there are three kinds of PSU:
1.0, 1.1
1.2 - 1.4/1.5

Switching out the PSU is fine if it is compatible.

You'd need a conductivity tester of some type to test the fuse.

Edited by Movax, 26 December 2011 - 08:02 AM.

#5 NobodyHere

NobodyHere

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(Movax @ Dec 26 2011, 09:01 AM) View Post

I believe there are three kinds of PSU:
1.0, 1.1
1.2 - 1.4/1.5

Switching out the PSU is fine if it is compatible.

Okay, I'll test that out then later today. In the mean time here are those photos. I had borrowed one of my friend's cameras, so if I missed something, I'll have to do it again later.

WARNING HD Photos! (Actually, I compressed them from RAW to PNG)

The fuse.
IPB Image

The contact point of the hard-drive. Once I had cleaned it, and put it better lighting, well... you can see.
IPB Image

The large capacitor adjacent (closest) to the accident. I couldn't find any visible damage on this, or the other 3-4 small capacitors.
IPB Image

Two shots of the solder points, and circuitry.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#6 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Fuse looks okay, but you need to test it to know for sure. Otherwise, fixing that PSU probably isn't worth it. If you had the knowledge to know what to look for, maybe, but unless you want to learn a whole lot about electronics and power supplies I would just find a new one/new xbox.

You need to test the xbox with a new PSU to see what the problem is though - the xbox motherboard, the PSU or both.

#7 NobodyHere

NobodyHere

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(Movax @ Dec 26 2011, 08:01 PM) View Post

Fuse looks okay, but you need to test it to know for sure. Otherwise, fixing that PSU probably isn't worth it. If you had the knowledge to know what to look for, maybe, but unless you want to learn a whole lot about electronics and power supplies I would just find a new one/new xbox.

Ugh.... after I googled for xbox PSU replacements, all I found were ones for Xbox versions 1.2-1.5. So I did a more specific P/N search, and got a single result HERE.

Does anyone know where I can find affordable 1.6 PSU replacements? For what they want, you could darn well almost get a new Xbox. Maybe even one with a working dvd drive...

QUOTE(Movax @ Dec 26 2011, 08:01 PM) View Post
You need to test the xbox with a new PSU to see what the problem is though - the xbox motherboard, the PSU or both.

I had an exact match with one of my other units, so I tried this out. The system mobo, and components, still work apparently...

I guess it's just the PSU. All I could find testing wise was this ancient GMT-18A tester I dug out of the garage. I wouldn't even know how to use it for testing. Could someone give me some pointers?

#8 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

If you are attempting to isolate the faulty component on your power supply, I would say that judging by the chunk missing from the heat spreader with which your HD made contact, you should probably start by desoldering and checking the final that is screwed into said heat spreader. You will need a transistor checker, and the multimeter that you have won't do this. Have a google search for "transistor checker". You can buy one or build one.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 29 December 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#9 NobodyHere

NobodyHere

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Dec 29 2011, 02:26 PM) View Post

you should probably start by desoldering and checking the final that is screwed into said heat spreader.

What is the 'final'? The black rectangular piece that has three vertical prongs soldered to the board, and is screwed into it from the opposite side of the pic?

You will need a transistor checker, and the multimeter that you have won't do this. Have a google search for "transistor checker". You can buy one or build one.

Any links to a said 'home made' tutorial?

Unfortunately, I don't have any soldering tools, and the multi-meter turned out to be busted. I guess it would be nice to have a kit for future use on this sort of stuff, but I simply don't have the funds. I hope I can eventually get around to trying to repair it as it would be the ecological thing to do. That, and it would be a nice learning experience.

Well... thanks for all the pointers, and help from everyone who responded.

#10 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(NobodyHere @ Dec 29 2011, 10:54 PM) View Post

What is the 'final'? The black rectangular piece that has three vertical prongs soldered to the board, and is screwed into it from the opposite side of the pic?
Yes.

Any links to a said 'home made' tutorial?
Here is a link to a build-it-yourself transistor checker kit. Alternatively, they offer the option of pre-assembling the kit for you, but I would suggest you build it.

Unfortunately, I don't have any soldering tools, and the multi-meter turned out to be busted. I guess it would be nice to have a kit for future use on this sort of stuff, but I simply don't have the funds.
laugh.gif You have no idea.

Price of a replacement xbox power supply: $20-$30
Price of equipment to repair said power supply: $1000 - $2000 easy.
Not to mention the cost of electronics courses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users