Llamma123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

IPB Image IPB Image

Its been a while since we did a full custom and even longer since I posted out to the xbox scene fourms. But hey ya spend a bunch of time on a console you at least want to make sure people see it! Tell me what you think especially all the haters out there you guys keep me working hard but be specific!

Llamma's Green Sprocket 360 Slim is "born". I do feel a bit like I gave birth to this one. There was pain, sweating, hours of labor, nights of lost sleep, a little blood and a definite feeling of relief when it was done, even some postpartum depression. (ladies please don't be offended as a father I have only some idea what childbirth is like, my efforts really don't hold a candle to the real deal yet I still felt the need to draw the parallel, my apologies in advance)

Its been quite a while since we have done a full custom console and I hope you like the results. We incorporated quite a few new methods to pull this one off. We include a flush window, its something we have always wanted to do but could never make it work until now. The surface of the window is flush with the surface of the consoles case, in the past we have always just cut a hole and mounted the window from inside the case, with some new technology here in the llamma lair we now have the ability to cut the hole and make a window with an inset lip to fit smack into the hole we cut!

More photos and a bit of the story behind the console.
Llamma's Green Sprocket 360 Slim

#2 Piratesmustperish

Piratesmustperish

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

beautiful work, but 3k? Ouch

#3 Llamma123

Llamma123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE(Piratesmustperish @ Dec 26 2011, 10:33 AM) View Post

beautiful work, but 3k? Ouch

Yeah its not for everyone, I cant afford to make one for myself. All I get to keep are the photos. I enjoy making a custom every now and then (at least I enjoy finishing one). We only do about one custom console a year so its a special thing when we take one on. Its the hours that make it expensive, a minimum of 40 hours @$50 an hour $2000 plus a $300 console, $300 in paint work/paint supplies, add mod supplies, maybe an extra controller, fast insured shipping and other incidentals and it adds up quick.

I think one misconception is "40 hours no way, how long can it possibly take to make one? Just cut a hole stick in a window and some lights paint it and your done, no big deal! I could do that in a day!" We have done 11 full custom consoles the first and second we didn't even track the labor time, but when we were done it was clear our time estimates were way off. Each console since we have carefully tracked the time and each has taken at least 40 hours, the table tennis ones took the most time at about 120 hours or 60 hours each as we did 2 of them, its worth noting that one would have taken over 80 were it done on its own. All I know is, they always take longer than they should and not for lack of focus or drive to get them completed. I guess that's the "custom" of custom console each one is different, and what looks clean and simple, is never quick and easy.

That's a pretty wordy response to a one line comment/question but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from and it doesn't sound like I'm slapping an absurd number on a "simple" mod.

#4 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

it is sexy you should be proud !

#5 jrl2222

jrl2222

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Xbox v1.6<br />Xbox v1.3
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Come on seriously? You do realize that you are over charging by about $2000 and that's if you bought the 360 yourself. I could get a 1950's Kelvinator Refrigerator from Rick's Restoration (A.K.A. American Restoration) for $3750 and that includes shipping and crating fee. So your telling me something that is readily available in stores and that you have setup machines to automate a lot of the process your going to charge nearly the same price?

Hell I have made a few Mame arcades that I probably have 100-150 hours into and that includes customized front end and the complete setup of everything you need to play and I only sell them for $750.

You guys are nuts

Link to Fridge page

Edited by jrl2222, 05 January 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#6 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

$3000 is a joke. i could remake something close to that and not even charge $150.

#7 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:09 AM

I am gonna have to say this post is a FAIL for a few reasons.

1st) If you are truly willing to bend a costumer over and charge them that price for a $300 console just because you feel your time is worth $50 dollars an hour is really messed up.

2nd) Even if you think that console is at a good price point, then the console should at least be flawless. IF you are wiling to bend the costumer over once again by passing off a console that is flawed, minor flaw or not its still messed up that you say your time is worth $50 an hour you should have more pride in what you produce.

3rd) You posted this in the Xbox1 section. Since you said you time is worth $50 an hour, you proved my second reason by not taking pride in what you do and not caring that what you produce is at the best of your ability.

Moving this to the proper 360 section.

#8 DragonSlayer1987

DragonSlayer1987

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

So, and I am just making the point, if you charge whatever the amount is for a custom console and the individual or company pays you for the work is it really your fault what they pay. This is a consumer economy and there are hundreds of great modders out there so if they agree to the price you set then good for you. It is the buyers fault if they overpay because they are the ones that agreed to the deal.
That said I am not a big fan of green but nice work, I enjoy seeing what other modders can create.

#9 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

No one is gonna pay 3 grand for that piece of poop

#10 thugsters

thugsters

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(jaroc @ Jan 27 2012, 09:38 PM) View Post

No one is gonna pay 3 grand for that piece of poop

Price was already paid and console was shipped out 22nd of december to meet deadline.

Crazy price

#11 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

I bought three of them.....

#12 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

Probable because they have a little name for themselves they charged that much.

Is it over priced? Hell yeah...

Just goes to show some of us have greatly undersold ourselves on what we produced...

#13 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

i think a few have missed the point here if a game developer wants a "special" done they wont ask some guy on a forum laugh.gif
they ask llamma or ben heck or whoever is thier contact for this stuff and they are prepared to pay these silly amounts of money blink.gif
would i pay that? never but at the end of the day you have to see it like this
if your self employed then your time is everything if your doing a commission say 50 hours worth thats a weeks working hours right there and of course if your doing that your not earning from other jobs
so for semi pro modders the price is extreme compared to what you would charge but for a pro well they can charge whatever their customers will pay bottom line! smile.gif
oh and steveo1978 is right though it should be flawless no excuses.

Edited by sinclairuser, 12 February 2012 - 12:27 AM.

#14 ezekilla

ezekilla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

So I'm a bit confused here for a few reasons.....

Firstly, why hasn't this thread been locked and removed? RDC removes every other thread that pops up where someone simply posts a link... so why the special treatment?

And secondly, I see nothing in this build that hasn't been done before, 100 times, to the same quality, by people who don't have fancy tools, and do it on the floor in their bedroom... Yet people are praising this like it's beyond amazing... are you kidding me?

Yeah it's great. A very nice looking, clean case. But definitely not worth the hype... or the price...

It's a shame people who like to spend ludicrous amounts on a custom console don't come to forums like this one, and give the work to one of you blokes on here, who do a top job without all the fancy crap.

And 60 hours? Surely you are joking... especially seeing as you are the great Llamma, and should be able to roll this stuff out FASTER then any of us...

Please, if there is something more then a simple window, fan, LED, and paint mod here, let me know..

/rant

#15 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE(ezekilla @ Feb 15 2012, 08:49 AM) View Post
So I'm a bit confused here for a few reasons.....

Firstly, why hasn't this thread been locked and removed? RDC removes every other thread that pops up where someone simply posts a link... so why the special treatment?

You'll find this post has 2 pics in it that show the actual console that's been done. Threads that get closed are ones that simply have a YouTube only link, or don't show any of the actual console that's being done at all. Which, since you haven't bothered to stay up with the rules in this section, are how those threads are dealt with. This one does not fall into either of those categories, hence there's no special treatment at all going on here.

Like it or hate it, as long as the posting stays constructive or at least relevant, the the thread will stay open. If it turns into a bashing thread, then it will be closed like any other and action taken against the troublemakers, again, the same as any other thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users