f0xrolder

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:05 AM

I recently turned on the Jtag and updated the nxe to 14699 via freeBOOT_ToolBox_Maker291 to check out the new dash etc. and have a bash at a game. After flashing loaded FSD2 and tried to load a game that I had originally backup'd via dvd copy option in xexmenu. It won't load. Tried a recent game backed up via fsd2 and it does. tried another that was done via xex and it doesn't.

The backups previously installed to hdd via xexmenu are broken now somehow due to the xbox dash update and to the way they are copied and patched. Has anyone else recently tried to load an old game backup that was done via xexmenu and found you have the same problem. pain in the a#)% now im going to have to delete these titles and sit through re installing them on two jtag's

Be interesting to see if its just my two jtags or if the problem is widespread and theres a quicker and easier solution?

Much appreciated f0xrolder.

#2 krizalid

krizalid

X-S Expert

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:47 AM

Your issue has nothing to do with XexMenu, dash 14699, dashlaunch or anything of what you might think or want to reffer to...

simply not.

I have done many RGH and JTAG hacks and upgrades of dash of course, and this doesn't happen.

EDIT: I just remembered something with xeBuild or latest dashlaunch... not too sure, but I think it mentions something about game "default.xex" modified signature failing to boot properly or something like that.

Maybe your games ripped with xexmenu, extracted as data of course, have their "default.xex" modified with manual updates or XexTool patches or something... i donīt see other way for the games too fail.

Edited by krizalid, 31 December 2011 - 05:51 AM.

#3 f0xrolder

f0xrolder

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE(krizalid @ Dec 31 2011, 02:47 PM) View Post

Your issue has nothing to do with XexMenu, dash 14699, dashlaunch or anything of what you might think or want to reffer to...

simply not.
I have done many RGH and JTAG hacks and upgrades of dash of course, and this doesn't happen.
EDIT: I just remembered something with xeBuild or latest dashlaunch... not too sure, but I think it mentions something about game "default.xex" modified signature failing to boot properly or something like that.

Maybe your games ripped with xexmenu, extracted as data of course, have their "default.xex" modified with manual updates or XexTool patches or something... i donīt see other way for the games too fail.

Why I thought I'd ask before re ripping games to usb, as it's going to take x amount of time to rip and y amount of time to transfer between usb to usb at fat32 transfer speeds. I did browse the dashlaunch and freeboot changelogs and didn't find a reference to default.xex modified signatures failing.

Thought perhaps it was to do with the new dash update and xexmenu rips being incompatible. Something that did catch my eye was this from the dashlaunch readme

" important note about the new keyswitcher
================================================================================
Retail encrypted xex that are not validly signed will not load due
to the way the new keyswitcher works.

Whether thats related or not I haven't a clue?

Yes xexmenu does patch the default.xex and modifies it in some way, so it wouldn't be validly singed any more. Well thats my theory. ah well

#4 krizalid

krizalid

X-S Expert

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

I didn't know nor recall xexmenu having a "default.xex" patching... I never used it much, I go with FSD when it comes to using an alternate dash.

I personally prefer ISO2GOD as they will take a lot less time to create and FTP through network.

Not sure if they load fine from USB... I haven't done that.

Good luck.

#5 bidrug

bidrug

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE(krizalid @ Dec 31 2011, 01:31 AM) View Post

I didn't know nor recall xexmenu having a "default.xex" patching... I never used it much, I go with FSD when it comes to using an alternate dash.

I personally prefer ISO2GOD as they will take a lot less time to create and FTP through network.
Not sure if they load fine from USB... I haven't done that.
Good luck.

there was an option to automatically patch xex files... i think old XBR days are to blame.

Edited by bidrug, 01 January 2012 - 02:41 AM.

#6 f0xrolder

f0xrolder

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

Problem solved - Sort of...

After updating nxe to 14699 and dashlaunch 2.28 then 2.29 I realised that all my backups done via old xexmenu failed to launch and i was getting this message "game Error: The game could not start. Try downloading the game again"

All games backed up via fsd2 still would load tho. I reflashed back to 13599 and left dashlaunch at ver 2.29 and they still wouldn't load. So i went back to dashlaunch version 2.23 and everything is back to normal. I will when i get a spare minute reflash 14699 and install dashlaunch 2.24 onwards to see where it stops those titles backed up via xexmenu to cease loading.

Anyhow before i reflashed back to 13599 tried clearing the cache, del tu's and just about everything i could think of, and it wasn't till reverting to an earlier dashlaunch (2.23) that the games would load again. Just thought people might like to know if there experiencing similar problems.

#7 krizalid

krizalid

X-S Expert

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

It might have something to do with that keyswitcher effect.

Look at the changelog between 2.23 and 2.24 and try to determine what the issue is, that could help understand the situation better.

Glad you got it solved jester.gif

#8 darknight01

darknight01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Good post. I appreciate it! Thanks for guiding.

#9 f0xrolder

f0xrolder

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Ok flashed 13604 using freeBOOT_ToolBox_Maker2.8 from bestpig and im assuming it incorporates dashlaunch 2.25 because when i tried to manually install 2.25 said was current and wouldn't let me overwrite patches.

And im back to games not loading again that were ripped using old xexmenu dvd copy option.

For example Dragon Age origins and Dragon Age Origins Awakening had been backed up via xexmenu and would load fine on 13599 dashlaunch 2.23. I tested after reflashing 13604 and both titles won't load.

Deleted and re ripped Dragon age origins/awakening via fsd2 and it works without a problem.

Now the fun begins, working out which of my games are backed up via xexmenu and fsd2 deleting the xexmenu ones and reripping via fsd2. 2 down only 30 odd to go.....ffs sad.gif

#10 bidrug

bidrug

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE(f0xrolder @ Jan 11 2012, 02:59 PM) View Post

Ok flashed 13604 using freeBOOT_ToolBox_Maker2.8 from bestpig and im assuming it incorporates dashlaunch 2.25 because when i tried to manually install 2.25 said was current and wouldn't let me overwrite patches.

And im back to games not loading again that were ripped using old xexmenu dvd copy option.

For example Dragon Age origins and Dragon Age Origins Awakening had been backed up via xexmenu and would load fine on 13599 dashlaunch 2.23. I tested after reflashing 13604 and both titles won't load.

Deleted and re ripped Dragon age origins/awakening via fsd2 and it works without a problem.

Now the fun begins, working out which of my games are backed up via xexmenu and fsd2 deleting the xexmenu ones and reripping via fsd2. 2 down only 30 odd to go.....ffs sad.gif

have you checked if your xexmenu patched the xec files? that's the only reason I can think off...

#11 f0xrolder

f0xrolder

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

For memory i'm sure it automaticly patched the games if ripped via xexmenu and has an option to do so manually as well. Either way it's just games backed up via xexmenu that arent loading on my sisters and my 360.

Tried to pinpoint the problem as best as possible but it's way over my head. Couldn't say 100% whether it's bestpig's toolbox maker and some change to the way the nand is created or the problem lies in dashlaunch. Was hoping some1 more knowledgeable had an idea, that way I could avoid having to verify the broken games, del them, re rip and then transfer the copies to my sisters 360 hdd sad.gif.

Heres the changelog

XeXMenu V1.1
=============

* Added HFS+ drive support
* Added ip adress information to the configuration menu
* Added skin loading verify routine to output errors on the screen while starting XeXMenu
* Added some user skins
* Improved ftp upload speed
* Loads nxebg.dds and icon.dds even if nxeart isn't present
* Some other bugs fixed

Press "BACK" for detailed help pages!

Note: If you only get a black screen on startup try to delete the XeXMenu
savegame known as "Unknown Xbox Game" using system tab in dash

XeXMenu V1.0
=============

* Gametitle extraction from NXEART if possible (toggle)
- Games with more than just one XEX will show up multiple times
* Embedded FTP Server to transfer your stuff directly from your computer
- Use xbox:xbox@ip:21
* Use FTP to read/write/delete your onboard flash
- Only user flash/flash is able to do that!
* Support for all found XEX files. Not just default.xex (toggle)
* Shows the content of any GAMES folder on any device
- Use GAMES, APPLICATIONS, EMULATORS for auto discovery menu on each device
* Switch between games/apps/emus in the discovery menu using RB/LB
* Auto scale skins for most resolutions (toggle)
* Different help screens for each menu
* Use DPad to switch between devices while browsing files
* Xbox1 compatibility partition support (if exists)
- Xbox1 partition known as "HddX"
* Alphanumeric listing for files
* No more XEX auto patching when copying DVDs
* Manual XEX patching for freeBOOT users
* Configuration menu
* Real XBox save system for the configuration
- Gamesave known as "Unkown Xbox Game"
* Chose between different skins from the configuration menu
* Support for own skins
* many more things we can't remember

#12 bidrug

bidrug

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Freeboot's ability to load patched xexs is not needed anymore, so if you had some patched games, is not freeboot's nor bestpig's fault, is just the game has a modified xex which is no longer recognized, I don't know for sure, but that's what I recall, maybe xexmenu has it's own code to launch those games

#13 krizalid

krizalid

X-S Expert

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:37 AM

Take your game DISC or ISO and load it from XBC and extact default.xex for every game you have installed with xexmenu and overwrite that file in their respective folder game via FTP or USB and save your self from hassle trying to find another solution.

#14 f0xrolder

f0xrolder

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion krizalid fixed the problem. couldnt load the disc on my pc as my dvd drive doesnt support xbc and won't allow me to load game discs, so just deleted the default.xex from the game dir and copied a fresh default.xex straight from the disc through fsd2 which took all of two secs and now the game loads again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users